Engine stalling

On the river

Recruit
I just purchased a 99' Four Winns with a Johnson 130 PX outboard. Got a good deal on it after it sat in a driveway for over a year. It starts up, sounds good, and runs ok until I get past 3000 rpm then the engine dies. After 5 minutes or so, it starts up and runs the same.

What direction should I look to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Engine stalling

Is water connected? Sounds like it overheating and seizing on you.

You should never run it in the driveway on a hose over 1500 RPM. It may runaway and explode. (It really happens)

Have you ever put it in the water?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I just purchased a 99' Four Winns with a Johnson 130 PX outboard. Got a good deal on it after it sat in a driveway for over a year. It starts up, sounds good, and runs ok until I get past 3000 rpm then the engine dies. After 5 minutes or so, it starts up and runs the same.

What direction should I look to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Are you on the water when you go to 3000 RPM or are you on the muffs and hosepipe ??
Many, many reasons for what you describe. Need a lot more information on how you are doing this for anyone to give positive advice.
Welcome to iboats

On the river

Recruit

I had it on the water last weekend. It accelerated pretty good but after a minute or two going over 3000 rpm it starys to die. The last time, I felt it dying and I eased up on the gas to neutral. It continued to idle and then I started going again.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Pump the primer bulb and see what happens. Will the motor turn over (crank) as soon as it dies ??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

time to trouble shoot, you are our yes and ears.

as asked will it immediately start afterward, or do you have to wait a few minutes. check spark with a tester, when it does this.

is the motor getting hot? should be 140-160 degrees.

fuel restriction, clogged high speed jets, weak fuel pump. clogging pick up tube in fuel tank.

this is a good start.

On the river

Recruit

After it dies, it doesn't start right away. I have to wait a few minutes, pump the primer, then it starts back up. I didn't check the temparature before it died. I'll look at it again this weekend. I was guessing that it's a fuel system problem, but I don't know were.

Thanks,

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

After it dies, it doesn't start right away. I have to wait a few minutes, pump the primer, then it starts back up. I didn't check the temparature before it died. I'll look at it again this weekend. I was guessing that it's a fuel system problem, but I don't know were.

Thanks,

My question was will the motor crank over start or not immediately after it
dies ??? This is an important answer.

PFS

Cadet

Is there a vent on the tank that needs to be opened?

On the river

Recruit

The motor will turn over, but will not start after it dies. There's no vent on the gas tank. I put it on the water again over the weekend. I started out with some fresh gas and carburator cleaner. I got it to go to 5000 rpm about 28 mph. It didn't die like before. Right now, I'm guessing it's a carburator issue because it sat up for so long and probably without any gas treatment. I did notice that my temperature needle wasn't moving past 120. Should I be worried about that?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

120 is a little low. Does it have thermostats in there ??
Looks like it is time to give the fuel system a thorough service.