2005 350 mag (5.7) smartcraft faults Water pressure + fuel level sender

Status
Not open for further replies.

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all...
I've been slowly creeping toward getting my boat running.. with new long block, MAP, IAC, Temp sending unit sensor 806490T and Water temp sender 805218T
(both sides of thermo housing) and every other sender/sensor , NEW smartcraft gauges - I still get error saying - WATER PRESSURE SENSOR

I've recalibrated the Tach Smartcraft gauge and still getting the error PLUS these other 3.

- Trim position sensor
- Pitot sensor
- Fuel level sensor

Also, My oil is reading 82 PSI at key turn - not running. I fire her up and still reads the same. Reset smartcraft gauge, same. I unplugged sending wire and still reads same high PSI. The gauge is new, the sender is new. If it's a bad ground, is there a quick fix or does it ALL have to go through the ECM somehow?

I've read everything I can to try and sort it out, all over the forums and tried those fixes.....
many thx in advance...

alldodge

Staff member
I forget but do you have a 10 or 14 pin harness, and not talking about the 10 pin CAN connector?
What is the serial number of the motor?

WATER PRESSURE SENSOR
- Trim position sensor
- Pitot sensor
- Fuel level sensor

Its my understanding is that you have none of these sensors so don't worry about them. The ECM is looking for them on the data link but there not there so unless you having trouble with the motor running, just ignor

My oil is reading 82 PSI at key turn - not running. I fire her up and still reads the same. Reset smartcraft gauge, same. I unplugged sending wire and still reads same high PSI. The gauge is new, the sender is new. If it's a bad ground, is there a quick fix or does it ALL have to go through the ECM somehow?

Assuming you have installed analog sender in the oil pressure port?
Is there a light Blue wire on the sender and on the analog gauge at the helm?

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I forget but do you have a 10 or 14 pin harness, and not talking about the 10 pin CAN connector?
What is the serial number of the motor?

0W068236 I will have to check on the PIN connector... i've replaced the 5.0L with a 5.7 (350 MAG) long block

Its my understanding is that you have none of these sensors so don't worry about them. The ECM is looking for them on the data link but there not there so unless you having trouble with the motor running, just ignor

I replaced both sensors in thermostat housing.... i thought that's what it was looking for !?!?

Assuming you have installed analog sender in the oil pressure port?
Is there a light Blue wire on the sender and on the analog gauge at the helm?

It's a blue wire, I believe at sender... will check gauge and PIN tomorrow...

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Water PRESSURE sensor is in the power steering oil cooler, located at the back of the engine. And these are known to give problems. Make sure the body and the cooler are electrically connected (no paint on the contact surfaces)...

Chris........

sender.PNG

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
YES ! UPDATE... I replaced the MAP and the IAC. That got the engine running. I also got the correct ECM and I'm now idling on the hose at 500-600rpm ... and I've eliminated a few errors on the ECM... My only issue now is that my 4 in 1 gauge that has the oil gauge on it, is showing over 80 PSI at all times, whether I turn the key, run it, or unplug the send wire. I also have a few other issues as stated (pitot, trim, water pressure) but my concern is the oil pressure... maybe a ground.... the gauge is new, so I'm not quite sure what else it could be.... ?

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thx achris
I will squeeze in there today to have a look at that sensor in the back... I thought they were on the thermo housing...!! It only makes sense, but I see from that diagram .... tricky one !

alldodge

Staff member
Is the wire LIGHT Blue (baby blue) or dark blue?

If it is, does the gauge show zero if the wire is remove off the gauge?

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The wire is dark blue. The gauge stays at 80 PSI regardless what I do. The only time it shows 0 is when the key is turned off. I had the key turned and unplugged the wire - still 80+ PSI...

alldodge

Staff member
If you can remove the dark blue wire from the gauge and the gauge still shows 80 psi, you either have the gauge wired incorrectly or its bad. You should be able to remove the wire and it show zero, and if its grounded it would peg the gauge full

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
problem is, its all smartcraft. My oil gauge is a 4 in 1 and daisy chained from the tach and has 3 leads hard wired in.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    950.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    892.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    984.8 KB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
That isn't going to work, your feeding a analog signal (variable voltage) to a digital gauge. That wire comes from the standard oil pressure sender

oil analog.jpg

You need a digital signal 8M6000626 for that gauge which goes thru the ECM

oil digital.jpg

Do you have the 3 pron plug to connect it up?

oil circuit.jpg

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This makes sense ! I think I have both !.. I will crawl in there this afternoon and check again - then report back

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Yep, nothing wrong with Analog gauges, have worked for years
Why do some people think electronic this or that is better . 4 in 1 instead of seperate units, SmartCraft stuff the just quits ,
ECM`s that fail, computers on boats, etc, etc, etc
Go back to the basics, you were a lot happier back then.:laugh:

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A7D70B46-4CF9-4946-A63E-45EECB5138C9.png Ok ... I have both. I have a T coming out of the block ... the “analog” sender is on one end and the digital sender on the other hooked up to the 3 pin cable. It’s old and rusty, so my guess is that I’ll need a new one, but why do I have both ? It’s always been smartcraft gauges, hence, the digital 3 pin option, but what is the other big metal sender doing with a blue wire on it ? Anything ?

alldodge

Staff member
During the change over, the harnesses had both analog and digital. This way the manufacture could go either way on their build. So first check for 5V on the Black/Pink wire, and then check for voltage on the Blue/Black prior to start, and again after start

If it is connected you should be able to disconnect the plug and the display would change

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You have both because smartcraft instruments are an option. Standard instrument set is analogous gauges. Smart craft feeds from the ECU, not the senders directly.

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
pressure.jpg Is there any difference between 8M6000623 and 8M6000626 ? Both are being called water pressure sensor, but one is for the oil. Can anyone clarify ? Top is oil, bottom is water pressure

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
My bad, I grabbed the wrong one when posting last. The oil sender is 881879T11 (looks the same) and is a 0 - 100 psi

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a superseded number 881879T11 is the same as 8m6000623 - however, when searching the part ... there is no distinction between that AND what the water pressure sensor which is (8m6000626) Both look the same, but are there resistance differences? I actually need both sensors, but wondered if they are perfectly interchangeable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.