87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

...Well, then again, make sure they are not with the Russian mob...in which case, if they are and if you do that, be prepared to move...quickly...:rolleyes::lol:

:lol: ya, thought about that already... but I think the more likely thing I have to worry about is they are possibly thieves, and were simply casing out my place.. there isn't too much of any value in my shop tho, and I think at least one or two of my neighbors would definitely notice two or three strange guys loading my tool box and/or other stuff into a cube van, in the middle of the day while I was at work :laugh:

I did mention to my renter to make sure she locks her doors ANY time shes gone and I'm not around, at least for the next little while.. :rolleyes:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Well the plot thickens (along with the snow I guess...) and this story aint over yet folks... I sent those guys a message yesterday, about 5pm;

"Hi, what day are you coming to grab the boat? I need to know, so I can let my boss know what days I can work overtime this week."

No response...

So today around 2:30 on my break, I tried calling.. Two rings, and a 'click/beep' Tried 3 times. Sounds like being hung up on.. no voice mail, or message that the 'customer is out of the service area' or anything. One more try at text message;

"Hi, just tried calling you, but it disconnects. Are you coming today or tomorrow to get the boat?"

No response..

So i put it back up online for free, with a note in the ad details for the two guys who wanted it; "If you still want it, you should get in contact with me ASAP and come get it."

I figure by rights i could keep their $100 as a storage/you jerked me around type fee, but really its no big deal to me, I just want it out of my driveway.. I don't care who takes it :lol: Likely I'd just give it back to them if they showed up and the boat was gone...

we need the link to your ad and go but $100 or Russian vodka.

bigdirty

FREE 87 contessa 2850 FREE | powerboats, motorboats | Barrie | Kijiji there she be... :lol: 69 hits so far, ad its only been an hour...

*UPTATE!!*

HA! figured maybe the ad reappearing would get someones attention.. just got an email;

"hi! I have broken Tel. we agreed to take the trailer. he will be with us Friday morning"

^ that's the direct copy/paste from my email.

:facepalm: oh brother... Monday they said 'a couple days', now its Friday... (suuuuure...) and if your phone is broken...who doesn't get it repaired or get a loaner phone right quick these days? They do live in Toronto... :lol: and seeing the wad of cash buddy pulled out to peel me off $100 I doubt its because he doesn't have the money to just buy a NEW phone..

Last edited:

bigdirty

This is like the energizer bunny... keeps going.. and going... :lol:

Phone rings, its another Russian..

"Yeah hello, my friend can come get boat, his phone he... ya... he broke yesterday, and blablabgf kldgnlslngnklb ablablablab (unintelligible to me) is good trailer, is dostavic hteasjfoei for that size (what did he just say?) is fine, is you not your problem, ve take, it will be fine."

me; "ok... look, i'm not taking the ad down untill the boat is on a trailer and rolling out of my driveway."

Russian; " ya, we can get till morning friday, but if you are no home then that not work you know? Like ve blajehfn make deal hea.. Ve coom saturday, and ve take ok? Look hagabowp and you ok? If no take by 5pm saturday, you keep moneys, do how you need for moving or getting rid of boat ok?"

me; "alright. If someone else comes and takes it, before Saturday at 5pm, you can have the $100 back."

At this point my phone is beeping, another call coming in... goes to voicemail..

Russian; "ok my friend.. ahh.. do you know, what does boat movers number around you? what they charge?"

:laugh: So I give the Russian the # for my local boat hauling guy, figure make him some $$$ if I can.. hang up, check my messages, and make a call back...

THIS guy is actually local to me (as in 20 min drive from my house heheh) and knows exactly what he is looking at. I tell him the story of the last few days, here's the deal, etc. He laughs about these guys with a trailer too small and the whole sorted affair... and says "Well heck, that's gota be 30ftoa, 9.5 or 10ft beam.. probly 8000+lbs... you need the right gear to move that!" yup... I tell him I dont wana scrap it, but its too rough to try and 'sell' so that's why shes free. Also I may have another boat on the way, so it needs to go away. Soon. Turns out he's been enlisted by a buddy to check it out, for a resto/rebuild project (guess he is 'the boat guy' in his circle of friends) and I told him yup, she needs help. Come have a look, I'll give you the story on her and you can take it if you want it. Heck, I'll even give this guy all the nav gear/electronics, and the carb (which I pulled and was going to sell) and maybe throw a few other bits in with it that I otherwise would be keeping or selling off. Just another chapter in the story of the Big Dirty... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Funny thing is the owner of our shop is Russian, from of all places, just down the road from Chernobyl...and I can almost understand him, too!:blah: ...That's after nearly 3 years...:pound:

bigdirty

oh man... now I hope the Russians DONT show up tomorrow... had a guy here looking at her a while ago, is supper excited about it.. you can see it in his eyes... he really wants it, and he wants to bring it back, not scared of anything it needs, and is desperately trying to find a way to move it now. I really would rather see this guy have her.. I KNOW she would be going to a good home.. Gave him my boat haulers #, he called them on the spot, but soonest they can get it is Tuesday.. I almost want to call the wodka chugging easterners and tell them its gone, but then they're likely to show up tomorrow and want their $100 back :lol: and the boat will still be here... :facepalm: I don't need 3 angry russians on my doorstep..

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

popcorn.gif

zool

Captain

This could be the start of another cold war.....

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

This could be the start of another cold war.....

What even more believable, it's prolly how the first cold war started! This is funny as heck reading the saga. I sold a Lund and it had a similar situation. People are weird animals, so I'll keep reading. I hope to see pictures of something new soon!!

bigdirty

Yup, and on it goes... Ze Russians have t minus 2hours 30 mins to get it... or I'm up $100 and the next guy takes her, on Tuesday. :lol: He just came by again, brought his dad with him to check it out. Going to be a father/son project for the two of them, and they are both pretty excited about it so again, i hope it goes to them. Who knows, i might see it fixed up and floating, in my area in a few years! :)

bigdirty

*update* (imagine a horse race announcer narrating this for a moment..) Aaaaaaand the Russian connection is now out of the running! They were off to a strong start be have completely blown it now! Looks like the father and son have it in the bag... oh, But what this? From out of nowhere here's ANOTHER local guy, hes coming in fast and heavy, he wants this as much as the other two.... gona go get his trailer and come back hopefully monday! But the other guy has to wait until Tuesday for the boat movers! This issss gona be a close one folks! :lol:

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice..... Following the original progress, but never saw all this coming a few months back. Talk about closing out the project and going out with a bang. Maybe you could lead the new owners to the sight and then we may be able to follow the progress once they start in on it????? And as for the days events, I was actually getting the voice of the ball announcer from Meatloaf's "Bat out of Hell" album and the song, "Love me Forever"! This is an interesting:popcorn:

zool

Captain

Im betting the Russians aren't out of it yet.....they may still show up with a tiger tank unannounced..the plot thickens lol

briangcc

Commander

Suspense is killing me....

tis Monday...update?

bigdirty

Suspense is killing me....

tis Monday...update?

:lol:

Ya, me too.... and she still lays in my driveway. The 2nd local guy never got back to me, the first (father/son) I spoke to at lunch today, said he will call me with a time as soon as the boat movers get back to him... what would be funny (and wouldn't surprise me at all) is the boat hauler showing up tomorrow, but being paid by the Russians to take it away :laugh:

bigdirty

And the saga continues... :mad-new: people are idiots. The 'other' guy sent me a message last nite, about 8pm "hi, are you home?" I replied this morning, told him i got in late, sorry. He says 'ok, i had your boat movers that brought it there lined up to get it yesterday'

Keep in mind I didn't hear ANYTHING from this guy until 8pm last nite.... So I called my boat haulers. Funny thing... they tell me ya, a guy called them yesterday, and wanted it moved asap, and they told him SORRY NO, WE'RE NOT AVAILABLE TODAY! :lol: So I ask about the other guy (who I called yesterday, and he told me he was waiting for a call back) and the hauler tells me "oh, no.. he never called us back to confirm a day and time...?"

Oh my frickin gawd...

I called him at lunch today, and he didn't pick up his phone.. left a voicemail "hey man, I'd call the boat movers if you still want this boat, they tell me they are possibly free on Thursday.." still haven't heard back from him..

:facepalm:

Are you kidding me people?!?!??!

And I might have the next boat coming this weekend... arrrgh.. always something right? :laugh:

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

best thread ever

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Just be wary that the new boat doesn't get there while the old one is there...the boat haulers come, you aren't home, they haul away the new boat and leave Big Dirty...:rolleyes:...:facepalm:...:confused:

tpenfield

Staff member

Wow, these turn of events are amazing. I'd say that these folks do not really want to buy the boat, they just don't know it. That has been my experience selling things. The person that wants it acts quickly.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good luck, sounds like there's a boat log jam headed towards your driveway this weekend.