1978 Sea Nymph SS160 resto

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 Sea Nymph SS160 resto

Nice work.

That axle for buck and half really is a no brainer. Will file that away for future also.

Trailer looking great. Starting to come together eh.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

And then something to look forward too. This pic let alone your description of an early morning on the water.....just wonderful.

Especially how you'll feel with that great boat under the butt.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

And then something to look forward too. This pic let alone your description of an early morning on the water.....just wonderful.

Especially how you'll feel with that great boat under the butt.

Thanks for stopping by SG, kinda lonely around here.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

That pic above is just awesome....that's what is all about.. Nice work on the trailer and motor...

Watermann

I'm ready to try again to get some topside paint on my hull. I tried earlier on although things didn't work out with a roller and brush so after sanding off some sagged messes, here we go again. I have the paint booth all hung in the garage and all the supplies needed. Tomorrow I will break out the new HVLP and shoot some sand beige. I believe that I'm a horrible painter so I'm happy if my paint jobs don't look like the face of a wax figure melting. Kind of excited to try my hand at the this HVLP gun. I've been practicing and learning about the set up so my confidence level is pretty high. Wish me luck.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good one, "like a was figure melting" .

I think there are quite a few folks out here that have confidence in your efforts.

Just like the weather things ar starting to heat up here.......no pressure but how soon will weather allow you to splash ?

Standing by, this is going to be good folks !

Watermann

First base coat on tonight, 1 quart Rustoleum Top side sand beige.

y4mWm4lxpSwTYxlXre3ACjdYoKogCCM6C1rRcVD_Ct7Grkb5TEP74FFniFwx4rbfL029ANjyei8D11KddTmT1OkfTYVKf0hpyoBp7snvZAcQFSY5_12zCoOSYo4MmYrWaGpN4atJGnLZs6UNqtDKVZQbVY0ysLHMSmo18kK4NdZIvOPjIfTe7NGqA6woDenNNW9SoGaup5Z9d7uUZU2huk5Yg

I love that HVLP spray gun, until that is when it had built up a load of paint on the nozzle and barfed it on the last foot of boat I had to paint.

The picture came out looking lighter than what the can shows.

Z-2M_0fo9oy.JPG

G1590976

Last edited:

Watermann

R U using Hardener in the Paint?

No, with my luck at painting, adding more things to the mix and trying to get the xylene % right too would probably be a disaster. I read up on what the catalyst hardener is supposed to do and it wasn't available here locally. I figured the topside paint was good enough and that you used the hardener in your tutorial because of the type of paint you used wasn't a marine paint. I suppose it's too late to worry about it now and most likely not a good idea to put hardener mixed paint over non.

Watermann

Good one, "like a was figure melting" .

I think there are quite a few folks out here that have confidence in your efforts.

Just like the weather things ar starting to heat up here.......no pressure but how soon will weather allow you to splash ?

Standing by, this is going to be good folks !

The weather here is in the low - mid 60's right now so it's heating up good. I have a couple extra days off next week to get some serious work done on the SN. The first of April here is hot fishing for smallmouth bass in the river so the sooner the better before the mountain run off blows the rivers out of shape.

wilkiepup

Cadet

That paint makes the boat just shine Watermann. It's going to be a beautiful boat when you're done and you can be proud of it, that's for sure.

Watermann

I gave the wife the next daunting task in the SN saga. Put the dreaded decals on the motor cowl. I know she wants to help on the project but scraping stripper paint sludge, wire wheel and sanding isn't really her thing. She was on her Ipad scouring the net for the best ways to apply the decals.

Anyway I dropped the cowl in the middle of the dinner table for her with the decals piled up next to it. LOL

Store online where I got my decals - http://cutnupvinyl.com/index.html

Last edited:

Watermann

Order yourself a new cowl seal strip while you're at it. Make it look like new. I did a motor cover once http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/DSCF0687.jpg Came out pretty good. My new one is even uglier than that one was and I'm still deciding what I want to do with it.

Yah, I thought about it, my cowl seal looks pretty good but is a bit rotten in spots where the staples go through. It still has the painters tape on it right now, that's why it looks like it does. I checked and it's 38 bucks for a new one.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's no chance she has some Buick decals hidden somewhere and would put those on instead is there ?

The printing places that make signs and decals may have a few tricks to offer. I remembering being impressed watching the installer put on the decal across the transom on my Chris as in avatar.

No doubt, hull paint or eng cowl it will look good.

Watermann

There's no chance she has some Buick decals hidden somewhere and would put those on instead is there ?

The printing places that make signs and decals may have a few tricks to offer. I remembering being impressed watching the installer put on the decal across the transom on my Chris as in avatar.

No doubt, hull paint or eng cowl it will look good.

Yah LOL, I could see her putting her favorite emblem on there alright but I searched the pile just to be sure.

I shot the last paint today, the dark chocolate brown looks great in contrast with the beige and not one sag or run. This weekend is supposed to be sunny and in the 70's so I will haul the hull out to bask in the warm glow of the sun for an afternoon to bake the paint on before mounting up on the trailer. Then watch out, I will be on the sprint for the finish line.

Watermann

Besides yard work, I managed to get a couple of things done today, garage paint booth cleaned up after finishing the paint job.

y4mZU9sCmEwJqswDVRs-88UsfpNjIm-IZcxYLxxKMbS8MSdBAGi2LS2vBaUpWzWhufkiIxC_eIc3dSm8Xa4q5-sZ-SI92nVLHsJje5mr8w52gCHxXg6FgCvbUEvC-xZioqTFRnq9FH10Zrp9vJd8cpkOM_yb6CkreSH6ULaHTm7BKJL7ehAp2CAm19wczy2uwTXgRHfNR1IMoqYCJxwJBpf-g

Admiral got the decals on the Johnson today too and it looks factory fresh now with the new paint job. Oh and no Buick emblems either! I took off the old crusty cowl seal and ordered another one.

y4mQ1Z5vsxBdWNeIUfX36RR8zuLyUH5Ny92CafoTibHvbaDWdXsu2RqOhGirNP8pxt7A6EvUZQlYEznFUe5e4vRVTevnPHf8zH980_hmr6lkAeDlOlC5K_Pz4VMBP673TciOMiu3e9iscDuu3jpIeSJ7gZA4JcK7XKkiStKkEoedrs9eSqkJsA-dg8rcXTrhYkb7Ukuus2b9terYxbGUPUOZw

Just need the new cowl seal to arrive, oil up the lower unit and prop back on. Decals were purchased at - http://cutnupvinyl.com/index.html

Last edited:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

The motor refresh turned out awesome..Props to the admiral for the decal work!

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can only hope to have my motor look that good when its all done, Nicely done.