Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17 Foot

+1 for low tech progress ;)

So, Gluvit has been ordered & will be down by the weekend? By labor day you'll be headed for put back? :D Sweet!!

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome to the metal side PMcC, look at how we handled the tear out and refab on my rear deck. I like it a lot but if I were doing it over I'd extend it 6 more inches toward the bow.

If you go to page 6 on my resto, about where my buddy Will joins in, you can see how he framed the new deck around the old splash pan after cutting it down some. It came out very nice I think. It is all framed from aluminum angle, about 1x2x1/8 thick. It is a cut down extrusion but the angle size above is what it is cut to.

After about 20 hours or so on the Raystown I've not seen any water at all come in over the transom with the new set up. Also see my fabbed transom cap from one strip of scrap aluminum sheet and 2 pieces of aluminum angle from Lowes.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the metal side PMcC, look at how we handled the tear out and refab on my rear deck. I like it a lot but if I were doing it over I'd extend it 6 more inches toward the bow.

If you go to page 6 on my resto, about where my buddy Will joins in, you can see how he framed the new deck around the old splash pan after cutting it down some. It came out very nice I think. It is all framed from aluminum angle, about 1x2x1/8 thick. It is a cut down extrusion but the angle size above is what it is cut to.

After about 20 hours or so on the Raystown I've not seen any water at all come in over the transom with the new set up. Also see my fabbed transom cap from one strip of scrap aluminum sheet and 2 pieces of aluminum angle from Lowes.

Hey, thanks for stopping by... I appreciate the info... A sick kid kept us up all night so I was able to read your thread last night... Good work, I'm glad your set-up is working well for you. Ironically, I may do the opposite - convert dual console to single console. I mostly fish for red-fish/trout and bass, and a center console seems work the best (maybe its just what your used to)... I have some design plans in mind, so I'm going to take a bit from you and Jas and see if I can come up with something that works. I like the way you made that inner transom skin out of a fiberglass sheet (2 questions; where did you get that and have you been happy with it?) I may do the same, because my inner transom skin is pretty much a thin piece of flimsy garbage as well... Our boats were definitely put together in very much the same way!

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hope the sick kid feels better.

The inside transom skin is working fine. It sits in the angle slot at the base and is glued down to the inside of the transom. There is very little left exposed once the back deck is in. The piece I used is 1/8" thick, which is heavier than the shower enclosure type sheets. There is a company here that makes sheet FG stock and I got some scrap R&D sheets. It is hard on saw blades, I borrowed the sheet stock "nibbler" from work to do most of the cutting. Circular saw or sawzall will cut it though.

That thing will scream with the v4, the 3 cylinder 70 on mine makes it a 30+ mph boat.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

OK Pmc so this is where your hangin out now. Just stumbled across your thread. Glad the only thing the storm did was clean out SN !
Guess I,ll stick around and learn a little about rivets and such just in case I get tempted with some shiny aluminum one day other than the type that holds certain beverages !
Hope you get her back in the water soon !:cool:

Decker83

Commander

Hope your kid gets to feeling better soon. You need to get some rest for the long weekend and put up new pics. :D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Guys:
Little mid-weekend update for you... So, my friend Jas splashin' his boat and catching some fish with the little ones has got me motivated... [Great Job, my friend]...

First, my helpers giving me a hand (well, 6 hands) getting rid of the Graphics (a bunch of big stickers - not paint)... As an aside, these covered up some blemishes... (see below).

9_2_12-Helpers.jpg

Here is the original boat coloring with the graphics removed... I like the navy over white - think I may keep this scheme.

9_2_12_graphicremoveoriginalcolors.jpg

In her new home (barely) - the garage - which will keep her out the rain and sun... A few more hours in here and I might be ready for leak test and gluvit (been ordered and shipped - should arrive 9/6)..

9_2_12_CleanedOutNewHopegluvit.jpg

Graphic removal revealed some dents (particularly on the port side) that were not nearly as visible before... Calling on my body work friends (I am thinking of you, GUS!) for some tips, if any, on working out these dents (or if I should just live with it?). Sort of hard to see in the pic - I tried to capture the best angle... Right in front of the sea nymph stickers you will see some waffling and dents...

9_2_12-Portsidedents.jpg

I did a lot of work this afternoon cleaning up the corrosion on the transom... Some fogging oil and a wire brush cleaned her up well. Going to clean with some acetone and then maybe do my first run at JB weld tonight.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Your hull came really clean in there man, nice job! Cool you got the youngens in the mix too:)

From what I can see in the photos there I'd prolly just leave em be. That's just me though.

Having the boat in the garage, just a few steps away, is going to make things so much easier than your previous set up buddy;)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Aluminum dent removal is at best a difficult task...see what happens with aluminum is it gets a "Memory"...once stretched...it gets work hardened and can be down right a Beeeatch to make conform to your will...I run into this all the time with the aluminum panels on a lot of the newer cars...

There is some good news, though...

I bought a couple of cheap rubber mallets, well OK, 4 of them and made one into a backing block, then shaped the heads of the other three into different shapes for pounding on aluminum...

They are at work right now, but here's one of my patented, tried and true 1st grade sketches to give you and idea of what I did...

Untitled-1.png

The rubber doesn't tend to work harden the aluminum and can sometimes be used with enough force to straighten out some dents...

You don't need to buy 4 of them, just get a couple and shape each side of each head the way you think would best work to beat the dents out...you can do this with your handy dandy angle grinder...or a dremel...

You can still use a ball peen hammer on one side, gently but firmly, while backing up the dent on the other side with the rubber mallet...

The basic method of dent removal is to support the part you want to "raise" and strike on the opposite side, around the edge...example...

DentBeatingBasics.png

In the end, if you are unable to get them out, just think of them as well earned battle scars...:rolleyes:

Hope this helps...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice progress, and really good to see the SN tucked in & cozy in the garage :cool:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys... Yeah, the garage set-up is a winner...

Gus, appreciate the help. That does make sense (but I also gather that I need to be careful and not make things worse). If a pro you like you says its hard, then prolly not something I should just dive into...

Hey, just a thought (and this may be mis-guided carryover thinking from my days as a bleeding heart glasser), but has anyone ever tried to "fair out" their aluminum dings with something like marine-tex? I have some left over and it says it can be used on aluminum? Just thinking out loud that a little sanding/fairing might be easier than pounding on my boat and hoping for the best...

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I think the inside of that hull is clean enough to eat out of. Great work.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

You can do some pounding to try, if it doesn't seem like its going to work, your only out a couple of cheap rubber mallets { from Harbor Freight, of course}

I, too, have heard that you can do some nice fairing with Marine-Tex on aluminum, but I would recommend roughing up the surface with at least some 80 or 60 grit to give it some bite...

Decker83

Commander

Looking good setting in the garage. Real nice work getting her all cleaned out.
That is some good info that GT1M gave you.
I'm not a tinny but I read where alot of the guys have used JB Weld. I have used it and it holds up well. Just a thought and may save some money down the road.
Kids are doing a real fine job.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I think the inside of that hull is clean enough to eat out of. Great work.

Well, you know I have to grind away all the old stuff so I can get a good bond on the new layups (oh wait... wrong boat) :facepalm::cool::p

9_3_12_boatcleanandJBweld.jpg

Yeah, cleaned her out again this morning (it looks better in the pictures) and banged on the transom to straighten it up a bit... It had bent and even cracked from the stress of a 300 pound motor resting on a transom made of potting soil... Was actually able to straighten it a bit and then hit the corrosion with some JB Weld. Might as well have dipped in JB weld, there was so much corrosion on that thing.

Have a good labor day everyone!!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I think a couple layers of csm/1708 on the inside skin will help build it back up from the corrosion. It would give it some added strength as well :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks pretty good, seeing it's a glasser guy, working on a tinny....

All those grey spots on the transom are JB Weld? Wow, looks like you need to got ahold of 1 of those Man-sized sets of JB from B2....

Have a good week!

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

PMC - Looks like it's coming along real nice. I didn't like the "Great Lakes Special" decals on my GLS either. Like you, one of the first things I did to mine was to remove the GLS decals. I felt the GLS claim was a bit pretentious for a 17' boat anyway.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Actually I think you should come up with an aluminum version of PB to slather all over the pre-epoxied transom wood, right before you install it...maybe go to your local recycler and ask for some ground up aluminum boat dust, mix with epoxy and...:rolleyes:...

Man that does look clean in there...can't wait to see it full of pool noodles...;)

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

It sure is a nice thing to see that your stringers, or I guess since they are running side to side you would say bulkheads, are already built into the boat :)

That is why if I ever do any kind of rebuild again it will be a tinny :redface: