Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

Dunno if you read my thread completely, but had the exact same thing happen to me....they could not say a thing about the noise, because I was doing it during proper hours, but told me to stop until I could contain my dust. I ended up wrapping my car-port with plastic (which I know is not an option for you); However, you could go cheap, because it only needs to be up wile your grinding, and do a small enclosure with four 4X4 posts, some 2X4s around the top/bottom and enclose it with some sheet plastic....remove plastic when your done. wouldn't cost ya more than 100 bucks i I figure.

Yeah, JDA, I did, but blind stupidity being what it is, I figured I was in a secluded enough spot in the yard...oh well...

I figure on coming up with something of a more temporary nature if possible, maybe some pvc pipe for the structure, and wrapped in plastic???
I really don't want to use lumber, because some idiot from the county might come by and think it's some kind of permanent structure and ask for a building permit...:facepalm:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Around here PVC is more expensive than lumber, so did not pose that as an option. As long as it has no roof structure, it would be considered flat work and requires no permit...unless you live somewhere like I do where we need a permit to put bricks around a flower garden! I didn't reference my thread to say I warned ya..it was to say I had exact same thing happen....not all neighborhoods are as picky/strict as mine is so , I wouldn't have guessed someone else would have the problem as well lol.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

im sorry, i dont know the laws in your area. i do know that some are stiff, and some are "open" if you just have a bitchy neighbour, you are almost done........screw the neighbour... the officer said get it done.

if you take a vacuum....put the suck end right beside the grinder you will get 60 % of the dust.......just shoot the dust to the nozzle.

if you have really stiff laws.....just take a tarp and tape it to the hull...it will require you to lay in the boat and grind......but for the time you have left, it wont hurt too bad.

i think you are also using the wrong grinding set up......use a rubber backing pad, and a 24 grit disc....this will take the top old resin off like butter.

but you only have 20 mins of grinding left..

your hull looks great bud.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

im sorry, i dont know the laws in your area. i do know that some are stiff, and some are "open" if you just have a bitchy neighbour, you are almost done........screw the neighbour... the officer said get it done.

if you take a vacuum....put the suck end right beside the grinder you will get 60 % of the dust.......just shoot the dust to the nozzle.

if you have really stiff laws.....just take a tarp and tape it to the hull...it will require you to lay in the boat and grind......but for the time you have left, it wont hurt too bad.

i think you are also using the wrong grinding set up......use a rubber backing pad, and a 24 grit disc....this will take the top old resin off like butter.

but you only have 20 mins of grinding left..

your hull looks great bud.

Thanks for the tips, oops!...My previous wet-vac died and I can't afford one at the present time..., but I am kinda leaning towards a tarp-like set-up, over the hull, with a couple of pieces of pvc tubing, kind of like what friscoboater used to keep his tarp from collapsing under the rain...
as far as the grinder set up, it is exactly a rubber backing pad with 24 grit discs... I just mentioned that it was shrinking in diameter from grinding way too much on edge inside the strakes...LOL, But like you said... it's just another 20-30 minutes worth of grindng left...on this part...then comes the next part of the project...the cap rebuild...:eek:...hopefully, by next weekend I'll get a dust cover set up and get it finito!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what grinding do you have to do on the cap bud?

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips, oops!...My previous wet-vac died and I can't afford one at the present time..., but I am kinda leaning towards a tarp-like set-up, over the hull, with a couple of pieces of pvc tubing, kind of like what friscoboater used to keep his tarp from collapsing under the rain...
as far as the grinder set up, it is exactly a rubber backing pad with 24 grit discs... I just mentioned that it was shrinking in diameter from grinding way too much on edge inside the strakes...LOL, But like you said... it's just another 20-30 minutes worth of grindng left...on this part...then comes the next part of the project...the cap rebuild...:eek:...hopefully, by next weekend I'll get a dust cover set up and get it finito!

Man, I had the same thing happen to me! I know how it feels. Very frustrating. Here is one for ya, They busted my balls real good about mine. I had the front of the boat sticking out of the garage while I was grinding. I had someone call the local PD on me while grinding. They came in mid grind while I was coated with fiberglass dust! Didn't say much. Just that my ppl next door were a pain in the neck. (I was lucky to get a couple nice guys that were boaters themselves) But see.... I wasn't that nice.... I already had plenty to drink... so I waited about an hour after they left and got the big toys out. AKA the chainsaw. yeah... I made some REAL noise. Well... they didn't call the cops again. But I got a letter in the mail 2 days after telling me I was not a loud to have a boat in the front... referring me to my agreement that I didn't read when I moved in. lol... It says all rec toys have to be in the back!! so I had 5 days to put the boat up or I have to pay 50 dollars per day every day after 5 days!! UUGGHHH!! So, I had to rearrange some things and put the boat in the garage where I could close the door. And when I did any grinding I just turned on the big daddy fan and opened the door. Im all done with the grinding now. But man I was angry!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

what grinding do you have to do on the cap bud?

Welllll, that's kinda the REST of the Story....:rolleyes:

You see, the cap of this boat is currently the entire interior, one of the old pics I posted early on will give ya an idea...

In my current insanity, I am not liking a lot of the design features that were originally done to the interior...
the list is long, but suffice it to say that one of the starting points is the design of the dash, way too cramped for comfortable viewing...
the rod locker is about useless of a design, the mechanical locker is also way too cramped, the seating area is a bit uncomfortable, and other details, that I figured if I'm in for a penny, in for a pound...
Might as well make this a boat I will not only be proud to own, but use comfortably as well...

About the only thing that I probably will keep ALMOST original is the actual upper cap surround.

Since the deck is also part of the cap and it too is rotted and in need of replacement, it would be just as easy to build the interior into the hull, using most of the caps cut up pieces as templates. I will be using most of the original fiberglass "containers" [like the live well, coolers, seat boxes, etc.] as original pieces, just mounted into the hull instead of part of the cap...then building up a new superstructure around all of that...the current hatches all need the wood replaced in them anyway, so I can still reuse them as starting points for new hatches by cutting apart, changing their dimensions and re-glassing them together, along with new support wood sandwiched inside...

It will also give me a neater and easier access area, up under the cap for the routing of the wire and controls, as opposed to them being buried deep in the bowels of the boat...

I don't know yet all the details, and I guess I'll jump that hurdle when I get to it, but that is part of my original insane, crazy, nuts plan...
:facepalm:;):DGT1M

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like it'll be nice when you get her done. Just be a pain if you ever have to rip apart again!! Just build it tough and you shouldn't ever have to worry about it!

bungee49

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey!im restoring a1985 Glasstream Boss180te bass boat,was it very difficult to get the cap off?and would you mind sending me step by step for how you did it?i have a couple of deck issues,i just wanted to know>any detailed pics would help,i got a few picks of my boat on the glasstream forum,under bungee49.any help would gratly be apprecitaed.this is my 1st boat,i really like her and i know she'll do fine once i get her don,my biggest obstacle will be getting a motor,is glasstream still in business?anyway thank you for your time,Jack

Decker83

Commander

Sorry to hear about the nieghbors. That sucks.
Guess I have been lucky with mine.
Your work looks great.
Hope you get things worked out and and keep going.

rrumba

Ensign

dood that sux with your neighbors. what about using a cheapo type tarp and some rope like an army type tent. leave one end open drape it over the rope either running between trees or 2x4 at the bow and stern that can be reused then most of the dust will just fall down to the ground. that is kind of my setup just so i dont get it around the house for the kids to get on them. when i am done for the night i wash everything down around the outside to keep it all down and washed away.

don't lose the momentum, keep going, you are doing great.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

dood that sux with your neighbors. what about using a cheapo type tarp and some rope like an army type tent. leave one end open drape it over the rope either running between trees or 2x4 at the bow and stern that can be reused then most of the dust will just fall down to the ground. that is kind of my setup just so i dont get it around the house for the kids to get on them. when i am done for the night i wash everything down around the outside to keep it all down and washed away.

don't lose the momentum, keep going, you are doing great.

Thanx rrumba, Decker, PM, JDA, ncnj,
Appreciate the encouragement...
That's what I have in mind, gonna pick up a 20X40 tarp and fling it over some pvc tubes I have laying around and create sort of a tent...should work.
I'll know by the weekend...
Later,
GT1M

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Sounds like it'll be nice when you get her done. Just be a pain if you ever have to rip apart again!! Just build it tough and you shouldn't ever have to worry about it!
Hi ncnjeremy,
I kinda figured that most regular boats are built that way, hull with a deck and stuff piled up on top, and finally a cap to finish 'em off...seems pretty logical and straight-forward to me... so I guess I just decided that instead of trying to build a cap with all of the changes/improvements??? I want to make sort of in mid-air, I would just follow the template of all the other boats and start from the ground up, so to speak...not only would I end up with pretty much exactly what I want as far as a layout, but I might even end up with a better built, read stiffer, boat. Because instead of hanging all of the interior weight of off the gunwhales, everything would be firmly supported by the deck/hull. I also think that IF, I should decide to make any future changes or alterations to the layout, it might be easier to just cut a section out and go from there as opposed to hacking into a one piece cap and then trying to figure out how to properly reinforce or support the change.
And I definitely plan on doing it the right way, so that I never have to tear into this boat for as long as I own it, except of course if I have to cut it up into little bitty pieces so the tax man can not get his grubby hands on it...;)
You see, one of the things that really bugs me is the storage areas basically are not enclosed from the hull, so it is quite possible to put something in there and have it disappear into the bowels of the boat, so one of the major improvements will be to create proper storage areas for things like life jackets, fishing rods, anchor, batteries, tools, nav lights, first aid kit, beer, etc., etc.
I am not exactly an organization freak, but I do like the saying that goes "a place for everything, and everything in its place", or something like that...
Because I have come to the realization that a boat requires a lot more than gas to get out on the water, and all that crap takes up a lot of room and can get quite messy if you don't have a pretty specific place for it all...especially on a small bass boat...it also seems that it would be a good way to know, before you go, if anything is missing when you store stuff between outings or seasons.
Later,
GT1M

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I found a life jacket inside my bilge channel under the deck, inaccessible, when I tore mine out...I plan to seal off that area so things don't migrate myself.

nauditq

Recruit

I have been usiing a Dust Buddy atachment on my grinder.
Works extremely well with a rubber backer plate and 5 inch 24 grit discs from HD. Search ebay, its the best 60 bucks you would ever spend. As far as a Vacume, Lowes sells a head that attaches to a five gallon bucket that works excellent with the grinder. 20 dollars for the vacume, 3 dollars for the bucket. I grabbed a full size filter, and cover it with the paper filter for extra protection. I started my grinding inside, and knew right away, this was not gonna work with-out some kind of dust containment. So, for a hundred bucks, and working so clean, you will be tempted to not even suit up.

rrumba

Ensign

STOP!!!!! What ever you do, Get better Eye Protection and Make sure your respirator is doing the job. I am Serious!!!! You must not ignore this. Fiberglass in your eyes and or lungs is NOT to be messed with. If you have to get one of these...

http://forums.iboats.com/aclk?sa=l&...tm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}
5HB59_AS01.JPG

$100.00 bucks but a lung transplant cost $100,000.00 or more.

Again, I am SERIOUS!!!!!

THIS was the best money i ever spent, not just for grinding but for everything. got mine from ebay for about 65 shipped. no worries about eyes or breathing. i started mine and then ordered that and waited for it to come it. BEST MOVE ever.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

just caught up on your thread, I would do what some of the other stated. I would go out and grind for a few minutes and then walk away for a while then go back and do it again. By the time he hears the grinder you would have stopped and doing something else or bite the bullet and just go at it until it's done. At least on the hull. I put a tent made out of a cheap trap from HF supported by PVC pipe too. I wasn't worried about the dust, just wanted to keep the rain out of the boat. My closest neighbor doesn't complain about the dust or noise. He plays in a band and they practice at his house. We have an agreement that he will stop playing loud music before Ten at night or right after I get out my 7.62mm. It works for us. LOL :p

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

The Dust Dome is set up, with air conditioning {at 9.5" inches away from the fan, you feel NOTHING!}, ...:facepalm:

At the present time, the outside air temp is about 82 degrees, at 10:35 AM, inside the dust dome, it is a toasty 96 degrees...:eek:

Later this afternoon, when I get finished for the day, I'll take another temp reading, for those of you who would like some heat sent your way, it's free, take all you want...:p

If y'all don't hear from me by this time tomorrow, I might be suffering from an itch induced, brain farting, heat stroke coma...:D

Later,
GT1M

PS- that really isn't a boat hull under there, it is my pet blue elephant taking a nap...

Attachments

• DSCF1355.jpg
    DSCF1355.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1350.jpg
    DSCF1350.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1351.jpg
    DSCF1351.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1353.jpg
    DSCF1353.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1354.jpg
    DSCF1354.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Dust Dome is set up, with air conditioning {at 9.5" inches away from the fan, you feel NOTHING!}, ...:facepalm:

At the present time, the outside air temp is about 82 degrees, at 10:35 AM, inside the dust dome, it is a toasty 96 degrees...:eek:

Later this afternoon, when I get finished for the day, I'll take another temp reading, for those of you who would like some heat sent your way, it's free, take all you want...:p

If y'all don't hear from me by this time tomorrow, I might be suffering from an itch induced, brain farting, heat stroke coma...:D

Later,
GT1M

PS- that really isn't a boat hull under there, it is my pet blue elephant taking a nap...

NICE!!!! Homemade garage!!! I love it!!!! The hull looks great man!!! Keep it up!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the visits jeremy, bob, oops!, zak, b69, and all of you who give great advice and encouragement, Hope all is well with you and yours...

As always best regards and best of luck to all...

Anyhooooo, about 12:30 PM, I had to get out from under the great blue dome of dust...it was so hot in there that I stopped sweating, it was evaporating inside me...I even started hydrating myself the night before...no way, man...after I gathered my wits and decided to call it a day, I took a reading with the IR temp gauge and it was reading 128 degrees, not counting the humidity...geeez, I can usually take a fair amount of heat, but that's beyond my capabilities...plus the fact that not a single bit of a breeze gets in there, even with that wimpy fan...I might try another fan I have at work, for the next session...

Well hopefully the weather will actually cool down in the next week or so, and I can crawl back in there and get it done...still have a few square feet to go, but it seems to be in the low to mid 80's for the next several days, which by my previous experience means the low 120's in the diabolical blue dust container...

I was able to get a couple of hours on it today, but it takes so dang long to suit up and get everything ready, that I have been contemplating doing a stretch tomorrow, unfortunately, it is already 80+ degrees at 6 AM around here, and I don't think my earth-friendly neighbors would appreciate me grinding away at that hour of the morning...

Till next time, keep bangin those rivets, and grinding that glass...

GT1M

Status
Not open for further replies.