Official Business of the 3V Club ( aka tri hull club )

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Official Business of the 3V Club ( aka tri hull club )

Is there still room at the clubhouse to join? We picked up our first boat last fall, a 1977 Grew 155 with a 85HP "idontliketostartwhenimcold" Johnson/Javelin. Will post pictures as soon as I can...

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Is there still room at the clubhouse to join? We picked up our first boat last fall, a 1977 Grew 155 with a 85HP "idontliketostartwhenimcold" Johnson/Javelin. Will post pictures as soon as I can...

Yeah typical 85...looking forward to some pics :)

redfury

Commander

I'm waiting to get the time to finish pulling the 125HP Force off the donor boat and get it to the house so I can start making it look pretty again. I have to "sling" it off the boat since there aren't any good mounting points for a chain, which is a bummer, but I've got something I can use as a sling, so it's still okay. It's what to do with it once it's off the boat and back at my house that's the problem....likely going to sit on the deck all summer long under the eave and away from the sun. Might take a stab at firing it up on muffs just to clear out her throat...keep that gas from getting bad in it since the carbs are almost brand new.

mkrup

Recruit

Just posted this on the original tri-hull thread...not sure which is active:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Hmmm...I guess I've been a member for 3 years now without knowing it...lol! I picked up a 1980 Imperial 15' tri-hull 3 summers ago just to take on family camping trips up on this beautiful lake near Canada in the Adirondacks that I go on with my kids and about 5-6 other families. Previously we had brought up canoes, kayaks, etc...but it is a motorboat lake with virtually zero traffic on it and a nice ramp in the state campgrounds. So I found this old Tri-Hull from a guy in PA on Ebay...took a chance (950 bucks...including trailer and depth/fish-finder...not too much of a risk).

Turns out it has re-awakened the "boating bug" in me (had a 17' bowrider when I was young and single and living right on the LI Sound in CT back in the early 90s...then came that whole wife and kids thing...) :ballchain:

Anyway, now I take it not only on the camping trip each year, but out on local lakes and also on the Hudson River in the spring for the annual Striped Bass run..... except for a few bucks for engine stuff (plugs, engine fogger, lower unit lube, etc) and new trailer tires ($100) and some foam and fabric to redo the seats ($50), I have not put a nickel into it. I have also rigged it up pretty good for fishing (can't really see in the pix), bow-mounted trolling motor with foot controls, pole holders, down-riggers...I get some odd looks when I am out on the Hudson from the guys with the real $$ fishing boats...don't see tri-hulls rigged up like this too often I would think.

The Evinrude 70 is bulletproof...starts right up every time. Even after sitting outside all winter...I am amazed. Sure the carbs could use a some tweeking (hole shots take a little effort or it will bog down), but I haven't bothered because I only take the kids tubing not skiing yet, so who cares. The only real problem with the boat except for aesthetics, is the transom is a bit soft, it flexes in one spot. I keep an eye on it and it has not gotten any worse in 3 years, but clearly not worth my time/money to fix.

No restoration in the future though...looking to upgrade to an 18' center console fishing boat next spring, will probably just give the tri-hull to someone rather than go through the headache of selling it. With the transom as it is, I'd probably get more money if I just sold the motor/battery/gas-tank/fish-finder and trailer, and scrapped the hull. But it is a very cheap and really reliable way to get out on the water, so I will just find someone who wants it.

This boat could sink tomorrow and it would still be the best 1K I have ever, or probably will ever, spent!! Viva los Tri-Hulls! Where can I get the sticker?

:rockon:

tallcanadian

Captain

Just posted this on the original tri-hull thread...not sure which is active:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Great looking boat. A restoration would certainly be worth it. Just PM redfury and he can hook you up with some stickers.

tallcanadian

Captain

So, I was kind of hoping that this great club would have more traffic. I thought I would pose the question, ''How was everyone's summer boating?'' Any pics of these great 3V's under way? And for those who are still in the rebuild process, me included, any updates would be good to hear about.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not much progress this summer. Managed to get the transom in and I am trying to get the stringers in before it gets too cold to glass.

tallcanadian

Captain

I was able to get to the stringers. Now comes the deck and the glassing. Can't wait.

southkogs

Staff member

So, I was kind of hoping that this great club would have more traffic. I thought I would pose the question, ''How was everyone's summer boating?'' Any pics of these great 3V's under way? And for those who are still in the rebuild process, me included, any updates would be good to hear about.
I don't really have much to post. The summer wasn't a washout, but nothing new to add. I don't even really have any new pictures of the Silverline to show y'all ...

... but, she's still runnin' strong.

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah typical 85...looking forward to some pics :)

Damn, it took me long enough to reply. :) Sorry about that.

Well the season is done and she's sleeping until spring, so what better time to post some pics.

boat_1_zps7bbea536.jpg

The ominous view from the front - from above the thing's near as square as a sheet of plywood:
boat_2_zps409cb763.jpg

This was my first year with this boat (with any boat of my own for that matter), so there was a lot to do and to learn. The hull is sound so the rest I can handle (and enjoy fixing up). The dash was a mess (bad switches, extra gauge holes, bad gauges, etc). I've never seen so many scotchloks! So after a full re-wire I turned this
boat_5_zpsfb764d0d.jpg

into this
boat_4_zps2e3338eb.jpg

It's been quite the adventure...learning props and fuel economy, crappy fuel pickups, how a big weedbed can look a lot like a rocks and give a person a heart attack, how an old Johnson (quaint as it is) is a @#$%$ to start cold, how quickly a spark plug socket sinks in water yet looks like it is falling in slow motion, how props DON'T like rocks, etc.

But in the end the fun parts far outweighed the grief and made for a great summer. The tri-hull has been a blast and the design works very well for us.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

The ominous view from the front - from above the thing's near as square as a sheet of plywood:
boat_2_zps409cb763.jpg
:D Nuthin' like the big "square jaw" bow-on from a Tri-hull. Makes ya' wonder what goes though the mind when a fish picks the wrong moment to surface :scared:

tallcanadian

Captain

Good looking boat. And very nice job on the dash. It's tidy and convenient. Awesome.

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tri Hull club stickers arrived yesterday - thanks Mike!

Last edited:

tallcanadian

Captain

Stickers are awesome. I use them and have a few more.

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got an old 17ft Invader Tri-Hull I got by accident and I have decided to restore it. :facepalm: :faint2:

iboats was the only place I've found any information on the boat at all and I just wanted Thank You all for being there in my hour of need! :joyous:

My question is: Is it too late to join the Tri-Hull Club and do you think anyone would be interested in following my restoration? :confused:

100_4023.jpg 100_4022.jpg 100_4021.jpg 100_4020.jpg

User Name: Mud Puppy (First Time Boat Owner) :eek:
Boat Model: 1971 Invader MerCruiser/GM 6Cyl. I/O, 165 Sterndrive

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

My question is: Is it too late to join the Tri-Hull Club and do you think anyone would be interested in following my restoration? :confused:
Welcome aboard Mud Puppy!

Not too late to join. Membership is pretty loose … you got a tri-hull so you're in.

Put a restoration thread up in the restoration forum and not only will people follow, they'll give advice, celebrate, tease, and kibbutz the daylights outta' ya'.

Should be a good time ;)

tallcanadian

Captain

I've got an old 17ft Invader Tri-Hull I got by accident and I have decided to restore it. :facepalm: :faint2:

iboats was the only place I've found any information on the boat at all and I just wanted Thank You all for being there in my hour of need! :joyous:

User Name: Mud Puppy (First Time Boat Owner) :eek:
Boat Model: 1971 Invader MerCruiser/GM 6Cyl. I/O Pre-Alpha R/MR

Welcome aboard. Can't wait to see the fun begin.

redfury

Commander

Are you kidding, of course your in! All you need are your stickers! :D

Make a thread, post lots of pics, you'll find plenty of people chiming in. Heck, I started one years ago, haven't finished the boat, but as soon as I get back to posting in it again, I might draw the attention of the few people that still give half a whiff about what I've been up to. I'm going to get back to it this year, I promise!

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks All. Made me feel quite welcomed.

I've gotten started uploading picks to a Photobucket account so I can start posting pictures just as quickly as I can.

There has been a big push to get a lot of my work to one of our customers so I have been consumed with engineering repairs for military aircraft, but I promise I will get them uploaded soon.

I of course want stickers, but I've got a long way to go before I have a place to hang them. You can't be a member of the 3V Club ( aka tri hull club ) without them now can you? Well I guess you can but what fun would that be?

Thanks again for the warm greetings! :joyous: See you on the water soon!

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks All. Made me feel quite welcomed.

I've gotten started uploading picks to a Photobucket account so I can start posting pictures just as quickly as I can.

There has been a big push to get a lot of my work to one of our customers so I have been consumed with engineering repairs for military aircraft, but I promise I will get them uploaded soon.

I of course want stickers, but I've got a long way to go before I have a place to hang them. You can't be a member of the 3V Club ( aka tri hull club ) without them now can you? Well I guess you can but what fun would that be?

Thanks again for the warm greetings! :joyous: See you on the water soon!

Yes definitely looking forward to this project :)