1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

I would think you are happy this one has a lot less work needed to splash her.

No joke! Man the work on this small one is just sooooo much easier and straight forward! Example: Last night the rig was tight up against the garage wall on the port side and I couldn't get in there to get to the rubrail off. So, I grabbed the stern hull lifted it up and set it down about three feet over. So light it was ridiculous! Like moving a sack of potatoes.

$$$ wise I am in great shape too! I was also doing some quick math in my head figuring out my budget for this Jet. Since I now have the OB on hand, cash out of pocket from here on won't hardly be anything. Love that:D:D:D A bit of plywood, epoxy, paint, some rigging... and just about all of that stuff is already here as unused material from the big boat project. Like it:)

MaddysDaddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nice boat jas! like the idea of the tiller, and the simple benchs like that old photo. on a short boat the steering wheel takes up too much floor space to fish.

slow down on the resto. your gonna make me look bad. i still have not got all my rivits out, too cold and windy

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks MD!! Actually, this here rig will end up being a side console. I know I'll catch heat from teamster for saying this, but I sure don't want 50 horses controlled by a little tiller handle:eek::eek: Call me Suzi, but just not my deal eh! My last 14' rig had a sweet running 25 horse Merc tiller on it and that was about all the HP I'd want without a helm.

Don't worry about this one moving too quick. Snow melt of 2012 is the goal here.:)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks MD!! Actually, this here rig will end up being a side console. I know I'll catch heat from teamster for saying this, but I sure don't want 50 horses controlled by a little tiller handle:eek::eek: Call me Suzi, but just not my deal eh! My last 14' rig had a sweet running 25 horse Merc tiller on it and that was about all the HP I'd want without a helm.

Don't worry about this one moving too quick. Snow melt of 2012 is the goal here.:)

A 50 horese tiller is to big??

This is the kind of tiller I'm thinking I need,...https://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/new/adviewer.jsp?adv=13153

Nothing wrong with a console other than I feel like they take up to much room,....

pike bay

Cadet

Hey guys I just found this site a few days ago and became a member. Found it doing some research for a project boat I bought a couple years ago. Found this thread and been checking it out since it relates closely to what I have in mind.

A couple years ago I bought a boat on a wimb. Lady i worked with needed money and I bought there boat. It is a 1970 16' starcraft and has a 40 hp johnson outboard motor and a tilt trailer. Last time I ran the motor was 2 years ago. The boat needs some work here and there and a new paint job since her husband was drunk one night and painted one side blue with a shaker can. Not good on a white boat. This boat is closed bow and we made the big decision to make it a open bow with the side steer like jasoutside is talking about.

Now that the doldrums of winter kicked in this year we pulled the boat into my father in laws heated part of the barn and started tearing it down. The first to go was the transom which ended up being pretty rotted. All finished with it and bolted back into place. I already had the floor out earlier and now most of it has been reinstalled. tore the steering out and cut the front top panel out to make it an open bow this past week. My father in law is a carpenter and he already built the floor into the front as a step up with a future spot for a seat. He also finished building the console for the side steering column today. This boat is cable steer and Saturday we rerouted the steering under the front floor the port side. Ended up working pretty well. Continuing to work on the floor and console some more and need to put some aluminum trim around the newly cut out front panel. Was afraid to cut the top panel b/c it might provide strength for structur but it didn't effect it one bit. Friday we might go check out carpet for the floor. Been fun starting this project.

Sorry to highjack this thread but this project has helped me with some of the decision we made on our boat. This site is alot of help and never realized how many guys are fixing up these old boats. With my boat, I am not sure exactly what type it is. All I know is that it is a 16' deep V. I have a old curved winndshield that came with the baot but is not original to it that I might as well sell sincce there is no longer a top panel.

Can't wait to see what else I can learn off from here!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey pike, welcome! Great to see another Starcraft fella from MI! Man ya gotta start a rebuild thread as we all like to see what backyard boat builders have going on:D

As you have quickly figured out, there is a mountain of help here on this site and the guys that hang here are great!

Swing on over to the Starcraft section and post up some photos of your rig when you have a chance, eh:)

Cheers and welcome!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Well, busy weekend and didn't get a whole lot accomplished boat wise. I was supposed to be spending time on the Islander but the Jet caught my attention so off I went!

I've noticed over the years that most of the people on here, myself included, love just tearing things apart. That's the fun part. I've found that the building things up part goes a lot slower!:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I've noticed over the years that most of the people on here, myself included, love just tearing things apart. That's the fun part. I've found that the building things up part goes a lot slower!:)

Yah, I hear ya lake...

I was actually working on her this morning too. I am waiting for an inspection plate to get here for the Islander, for whatever reason it's become a progress road block of sorts. No good reason mind you.

Oh well, no big whoop, just work on the Jet a little:D

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

$31K for a used aluminum fishing boat:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am such a bottom feeder.

When the 2010 tiller was first introduced it was listing for 28,000,

I'm not saying I'm buying one,.................Just that I wan't one!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, um, so ya...

Iaaa, ran out for a couple of necessities like milk and TP and uh, well....

Somehow this got attached to my truck...
IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

Oh ya, there is a boat sitting on it too...
IMAG0203.jpg

Hauled this package home for 200 dux, sweet!

I snatched it for the trailer, waaayyyyyy better than the one that came with the Jet.

The 4Winns will be a freebe give away or hauled to the landfill. It's a glasser:rolleyes:

Jen is out of town at the moment but when she gets home I am fully expecting a fry pan beat down:eek:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice score, that trailer looks great and plenty big enough too. You should be able to slide the bow stop back and that will make it easy to launch in shallow ramps. The trailer lights look very well protected by the step, nice advantage. I've broken a few in my day.

I see some great salvage items on that 4Winns...but good luck with the frying pan. That's one ugly boat, maybe you should just wear a helmet to be on the safe side eh? :D:D

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

I swear Jas,

You could fall in a pile and come out smelling like a rose!

Great score!

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Duck and roll buddy, duck and roll. Take that from someone who knows.
Nice score.
wifenothappy.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice score, that trailer looks great and plenty big enough too. You should be able to slide the bow stop back and that will make it easy to launch in shallow ramps. The trailer lights look very well protected by the step, nice advantage. I've broken a few in my day.

I see some great salvage items on that 4Winns...but good luck with the frying pan. That's one ugly boat, maybe you should just wear a helmet to be on the safe side eh? :D

That trailer will be great with a set of bunks on, the hull should sit nice and low. I haven't measured yet but I bet that Jet hull will sit down right in between the fenders. Yah man, I eyed up those step/lights right away, like em!

I might try to give 4Winns away real quick. If it doesn't go right off, I might strip it down, sell what I can and cut it up.

I know I can sell the old Jet trailer for $250 in the spring without even thinking about it. Lots of guys who have 12/14 footers with no trailer.

I swear Jas,

You could fall in a pile and come out smelling like a rose!

Great score!

Thanks dood!
Yah, I think I did all right on this deal. He wanted $600 for it about a month ago:D I'll come out ahead on this deal once I sell the old trailer and whatever I can sell off the 4Winns if I go that route.

Duck and roll buddy, duck and roll. Take that from someone who knows.
Nice score.

Great advice GLG!!

Actually, she just rolled in and here I am still able to type:)

She pulled into the drive, snapped a photo with her phone and sent it to me in a text with a whole bunch of ??????????????

She sat out there in the drive for a while before she came in. I think she was thinking through how she wanted to handle the situation.

When she came in she said in the sweetest, nicest voice she could muster....

"So, why do we have another boat in our yard?"

I laid out the plan for her and she is aok, no beat down!!!!:D:D

God bless her, she is a peach:)

captainQ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow, more toys, Sweet steal Jas. Just tell the wife it's mine and your holding it for me. She'll believe you :D

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Ok how can you find all the deals Jas? I can't even find cheap gauges anywhere, and here you come home with a boat and a trailer for $200. :D Nice score! You will have even more picking off this one as well.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Ja dude dont forget your helmet.
index.jpg
My wife like to have killed me the last boat I brought in. So I got a big one need to borrow it? Great find man.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ok how can you find all the deals Jas?

I used to have hobbies that cost money. With three kiddos, a fat mortgage and student loans to boot I now need to do stuff that is uber cheap. Bottom feeder budget, all out of necessity my friend:D

Q, PST - thanks for looking out for me guys, appreciate it!:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great score. Real nice trailer. I think it would fine even to use as a roller trailer but I also think it looks like it has enough structure in the right places to convert to bunks. Some roller trailers have kinda a unique setup which would make them impossible to convert to bunk (my buddy's cursed Chieftain trailer for one) but that one looks fairly standard.