floor Materials for Aluminum boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishlander

Recruit
I am in the process of planning the repair of my Lund 1700 fisherman that now has a soft floor. I have looked at posts suggesting Marine grade plywood, Exterior grade plywood, and Pressure treated plywood. I have been told that MDO plywood will be a good product to put down as a flooring. I also see there is HDO to consider. The problem is what to choose. Things to consider is that I will be returning the floor to a factory stock appearance which means using a Vinyl floor covering so I want adhisive to have a good bond. Do I seal the wood or leave it for a good bond. Are there any suggestions. :confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: floor Materials for Aluminum boat

Do not use PT anywhere near an aluminum boat. Corrosion will occur. I used exterior grade sealed with epoxy resin for my deck. Marine grade is a superior product but costs a lot more. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in about MDO and HDO.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

How old is the current deck? I would just match the thickness and use exterior grade sealed up with epoxy (or polyester) resin and it "should" (actually it will :)) outlast your original decking.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Exterior ply wll hold up as well as anything. I know a lot of guys use 2 part resins or epoxies to coat them with and I'm sure this works well. Personally, I used Hellman's 1 part poly urethane. I put on 2 very generous coats and make sure to seal the edges well. I then laid down the vinyl with indoor/outdoor glue and if that isn't enough to keep out the gremlins for a good 10 years I give up.

Here's a hint, keep things in perspective and you'll be on the water in no time.

thiker15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just finished redoing my 1988 1700 Pro v from top to bottom, I used marine ply don't let anyone tell you not to because there is a difference. check out my thread and see for yourself. I cut all material to fit than epoxied all sides, I used carpeting(not the stuff from the local HD). I feel if your going to do it do it right. If I can help you in any way please let me know. I did alot of research before my resto. I'll be glade to pass it on.

fishrdan

Admiral

Forget the MDO and HDO,,, unless you want particle board in your boat :eek:

MDO plywood features a surface layer of medium density fiber, much like MDF.

HDO plywood is much like MDO plywood, except that the density of the fiber surface layer is much greater
. IE: tempered hardboard face

http://www.insidewoodworking.com/mdo-and-hdo-plywood.html

Do some searching in the archives as the "which plywood should I use in my aluminum boat" has been covered many times.

I used marine plywood in my rebuild and not sure I would pay the premium price again.

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Going on 3 years with marine grade plywood coated in epoxy with marine carpet. Carefully read labels at lowes and you will find that some of the high end A/B plywood for furniture is also marine rated. Saves the special order. Also my lowes would special order what ever I wanted for carpet. Better prices than West Marine. Same stuff. No shipping costs.

fishlander

Recruit

Wow this website is truly a great resource. I have to say I am glad I checked in here. and, (thiker15) , I just may take you up on the information on doing this project Thank you

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I just ordered my wood yesterday. I checked all over and Menards was the cheapest. Theirs was marine AB, where Lowes was BC. I have 2 sheets of 3/4" ($69.99 ea.) and 5 sheets of 1/2" ($49.99 ea.) coming next week. I plan to keep this boat forever so I went with the good stuff. I did look at the exterior grade but it had voids on the inside and the best I could find at Menards was BC. FWIW.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just ordered my wood yesterday. I checked all over and Menards was the cheapest. Theirs was marine AB, where Lowes was BC. I have 2 sheets of 3/4" ($69.99 ea.) and 5 sheets of 1/2" ($49.99 ea.) coming next week. I plan to keep this boat forever so I went with the good stuff. I did look at the exterior grade but it had voids on the inside and the best I could find at Menards was BC. FWIW.

I ordered marine ply from Menards as well (same prices as DJ listed above). It is NOT flawless by any means, but it's really really good plywood. More plys, far fewer and smaller voids, waterproof glue (exterior uses water "resistant" glue from what I've read about it). In my opinion, marine is worth the extra $. Of course only time will tell how well it holds up - my boat hasn't even been in the water yet so check back with me in 10-15 years....

fishrdan

Admiral

This is NOT a true statement.

There are lots of different types of plywood. I've used plywood that had a thin MDF facing on it (that would drink water like no ones business) and it was called MDO. This was years back, but it was called MDO and not waterproof by any means. I've never seen HDO, just relying on the internet description,,, but you know how that goes....

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I just finished redoing my 1988 1700 Pro v from top to bottom, I used marine ply don't let anyone tell you not to because there is a difference. check out my thread and see for yourself. I cut all material to fit than epoxied all sides, I used carpeting(not the stuff from the local HD). I feel if your going to do it do it right. If I can help you in any way please let me know. I did alot of research before my resto. I'll be glade to pass it on.
I think you should do a little more research or maybe take some of the experience around here to heart. The only difference between Exterior ply and Marine ply is the lack of voids. The glue is the same water resistant glue. Fewer voids allow Marine ply to withstand stress better and that's it. If you want a ply thats made with water proof glue then you need to invest in SuperPly (Roseburg Lumber Co.). I use that for transoms and it aint cheap.

fishrdan

Admiral

Another difference with marine plywood is that the plys are laid at 45*, not 90* like normal plywood. It's laid up 0* 45* 90* 0* 45* 90* etc, opposed to 0* 90* 0* 90* 0* 90* like normal plywood. The 3rd direction of the wood grain makes it more rigid and stable.

I'm not sure if all marine plywoods are laid up like this (IE: pontoon decking, CCA treated marine ply), but the douglas fir marine plywood I bought was and I'm pretty sure the high end okoume (Lloyds of London certified $$$:eek:) is too.

thiker15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks everyone. a little research goes a long way. Doesn't it.

SC's Forever!

Seaman Apprentice

Marine Ply. is made up of layers(plies) which have NO voids in them. Hence the designation AB....The B plies can have "plugs" in them up to a minimal size. Also the plies are still thinner than on Exterior Ply. Where as 3/8" Ext. ply will have 3 plies....Marine AB will have 5 or more.....
The glue used in both is the same...
The large difference in price is due to the high quality of ALL the plies in Marine, where as Ext. will have various voids and unplugged knot holes in the inner plies, with only the two outside plies (A/C)being of clear or plugged appearance.
No "cents=$" in having the floor outlive you!!!!!

thiker15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FYI The glue is not the same

Status
Not open for further replies.