1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

Yah, EZ is right. With a good canvas guy they can do anything, just got to take the time find the right one. Cheers!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I would think that a canvas maker would have a tough time exactly matching your current snaps. If they are off by a little you'd end up having ripples/wrinkles which would be a bummer. Worse would be if you couldn't snap em! Depending on your canvas maker and what you want you might not even need snaps. I think if I were in your shoes I'd be thinking about taking them off and filling them in for a nice clean look. Come to think of it, that is what I did actually. Though I still have a long way to go to make everything look purdy. You can add snaps easy enough down the road if you need to.

Is your aluminum rail in rough shape? Need to be replaced? If not I am pretty sure Taco makes an insert that will slide right into what you have there saving you time and $$, eh!
Have fun!

I thought you were the one that told me my rubrail insert was not availiable anymore anywhere, and that you got one from someone on here who had an extra laying around?

If there is something that will fit my aluminum channel that would be great, but I haven't found one yet.

Please do tell me what will fit. I'm stuck here on this rubrail dilema....

Thanks.

fshngho

Lieutenant

You know Jas and his ways, maybe he was off his meds that day. I have read that Taco has what you need DJ. Give it a look. its not the exact replacement but it works.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

You know Jas and his ways, maybe he was off his meds that day. I have read that Taco has what you need DJ. Give it a look. its not the exact replacement but it works.

Yeah, I had read that as well. I think EZ told me NB and someone else found something that will work in my channel, but no one has piped up which one it was. Maybe I need to look closer again....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Not me. I don't know a thing about rub rails. Mine were both in good condition.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, let me take some measurements and do a little research and I'll get right back with ya.

Edit: Check this...

http://www.iboats.com/1-3-16-x-1-2-...6954994--**********.392144208--view_id.271893

I am pretty sure that this will work for ya. Surely not the same as what you have right now but you'd have to find somebody who is scrapping out their boat to find original rub rail.

The key measurement would be the inside height that goes inside the track. I think it should be about 13/16" - 7/8". Double check yours though!

Might be a good move to have them send you a sample to check the fit, that way you are certain it will work (or not), eh!

Cheers!

Huron Angler

Admiral

I left my snaps in place because I too, hope to someday get some new canvas made to fit the rig. I'm thinking that we can maybe make a bow cover, and then bite the bullet and pay for full enclosure for the helm and stern.

I figure if I replace the screws that hold the snaps down with new stainless I will at least save some cash on buying all new snaps from a pro.

Good luck...and have fun with the rivets(it gets addicting:D).

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Got something done tonight.

IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

Some of the holes I had welded up last week...

IMG_2564.jpg

My clean inner hull....look..no foam....I am not going to mention foam again...

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

On the new transom...should I install it, drill all the holes through the aluminum into the transom, remove, drill holes bigger, epoxy transom and fill in all holes, reinstall and drill holes correct size? Does that sound right?

How do I do the splashwell drains???????????????

Thanks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

On the new transom...should I install it, drill all the holes through the aluminum into the transom, remove, drill holes bigger, epoxy transom and fill in all holes, reinstall and drill holes correct size? Does that sound right?

How do I do the splashwell drains???????????????

Yes, sounds right. Drill your transom drain holes (or at least the center of them) the same time as the others. Then drill them a tad larger than these http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/S-D-520320-1/ install these with a copious amount of 5200 when you install your completed transom. Be very careful when you drill these. One of mine ended up being a little too low and required some annoying fudging.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Test fit my transom tonight....I am planning on marking the thru holes and drilling them oversize a little and then fill with epoxy and then redrill after transom is permanetly installed, unless you guys think it's one too many steps. This is the first official "new" piece going on the boat!!!!

IMG_2567.jpg

I used paparoofs rigging to keep the gunwall tops up too, but no pic.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Wow those 22 footers are built like a tank:D

The extra stringers and extra riveted pieces on the seams add lots of strength. This is the first V5 hull I've seen on a 22' from the inside.

Nice work on the transom, looks like you'd have room for two of those 140s on there:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK DJ, I was going to just drill mine and 4200 but now you have me feeling guilty by going the over drill, epoxy, then re-drill route. Rats! Though, I think yours will come out and back in a lot easier than my big honking piece of lumber.

Over-drill, epoxy, re-drill is surely the best way to do it if you are willing to take the extra steps. Go for it! I'll wrestle with my guilt for a bit.

Hey, did ya see my post on your rub rail? Did ya check your dimensions?

Transom looks great!

Have a good one!:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

Test fit my transom tonight....I am planning on marking the thru holes and drilling them oversize a little and then fill with epoxy and then redrill after transom is permanetly installed, unless you guys think it's one too many steps. This is the first official "new" piece going on the boat!!!!

IMG_2567.jpg

I used paparoofs rigging to keep the gunwall tops up too, but no pic.

DJ that looks awesome! Looking at the floor supports, it looks like the floor is above the area where the sides meet the hull bottom. Is that right? If so that would give you about 3-4 more inches in height under the floor, which is different than my offshore.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

DJ that looks awesome! Looking at the floor supports, it looks like the floor is above the area where the sides meet the hull bottom. Is that right? If so that would give you about 3-4 more inches in height under the floor, which is different than my offshore.

You are correct. I took off the angled piece that the deck rests on along the sides to dig out the foam from that area.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Hey! That looks pretty darn close to original! Nice find!:D Do the measurements work for ya?

The measurements are the same except it wont stick out of the aluminum channel quit as much, but still plenty far to do it's job I think. I am going to see if they can send me a sample or see what the minimum order is. They get $2 per foot plus shipping for that model.

North Beach

Commander

Dave and Floyd, I've searched high and low and cannot find the danged part number for that rubrail anywhere. I even contacted the go between merchant hoping they could search my name or phone number with no luck. And I need some of it also????

Sorry guys! I thought I saved copies of everything.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Dave and Floyd, I've searched high and low and cannot find the danged part number for that rubrail anywhere. I even contacted the go between merchant hoping they could search my name or phone number with no luck. And I need some of it also????

Sorry guys! I thought I saved copies of everything.

Was it a close to original shape, or a different shape that worked?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Real nice job on that transom. I'm glad mine is a little shaver compared to what a lot of you guys have to do. I feel like a sports car among sedans. I'm recycling my rub rail insert, at least for now. The stuff's so darn expensive, you want to be sure you're getting the right thing before you pay for it, once you find it!

It's harder for me to follow a lot of the threads going on right now because I'm not getting notifications from iboats on my subscribed threads for some reason. They're working on it, in the meantime I'll try to keep up with yours manually, nice job.