No Smoking!!! 1969 Hydroswift Restore

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: No Smoking!!! 1969 Hydroswift Restore

Yes, that's what I thought they were called but it seems they don't carry them on iboats or they have a different name. I figured these would be readily available anywhere. I am trying to order most of my stuff from here, but not finding a few key things that I need. It's a 45 minute drive to the nearest marine store and with my job, I can't always go that far. I have ordered from iboats before and like that it shows up at my door step.

I am definitely on top of my google-fu skills today!

I'll run by the boat shop when I'm able and check prices. Maybe I could mail them to you or something.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll run by the boat shop when I'm able and check prices. Maybe I could mail them to you or something.

Thanks. What boat shop are you using? I might be able to order from them over the phone with a CC and they ship them?

I have about a 2K order from my list of things I need. 90% of this I found on iboats.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have officially have a name for the boat.

"Knot on Call"

The only time I will be able to enjoy this or go out on the lake is when I am not on call. It's only fitting.

I have officially decided and received approval from the Admiral on what motor I will be using.

I am going to buy a NEW 115 or 135 hp 4 stroke Honda. I know it is probably sacrilegious to put a Japanese motor on a piece of American history, but I am going with what I know is reliable. This ought to take a few years to break even without smoking. I will not count this as a part of the expense in the resto work because it would blow it way out of proportion. I could get by much cheaper and go with a period correct motor and include it in the price of the restoration, but I love the Honda's. Now all I need to do is start working on my wife for a new Ridgeline to pull it. :D

Anyway,
Day 36 no smoking - $216.00 saved
Project total to date ( including boat ) - $553.87
Savings so far ($337.87) in the hole

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. What boat shop are you using? I might be able to order from them over the phone with a CC and they ship them?

I have about a 2K order from my list of things I need. 90% of this I found on iboats.

Not sure of the name. I never paid much attention to it until I got into boats. I'll look next time I drive by.

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

kuddos on quitting smoking :D The first few days were the toughest for me ( I quit 15 years ago) I still sometimes dream of smoking although I cannot stand anyone around me to smoke-the smell is worse now :rolleyes: I feel that your math is faulty for expenditures. Inform your wife that you were lying and you really had a four pack a day habit and you just couldn't bear for her to know ( weeping a little might work here-a quick hug-don't overdo it). that would create a nice fund for some great fish finders,trolling motors-etc.:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My google-fu is very very strong :p

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off, I got to give mad props to my wife!!!!! I sent her this thread the other day, because she had asked what exactly I was doing. I told her please read it and give me constructive criticism. She read it and loved it! She then told me she was proud of me. Then I get this surprise!!!!!! Holy Cow! What? Are you kidding me? This cant be real!!!! OMG it is!!!!! Woman, you don't have any idea how much I love you!!!! This is mine, all mine, all because I wrote something down on this thread? You mean you paid attention to the Honda Ridgeline part? You agree? Awesome!

IMG00099-20100901-1501.jpg

IMG00098-20100901-1501.jpg

Not new, but very dang near it and FULLY LOADED to boot!!!!!!!!!

Honey, I love you!!!!!
I really couldn't want for anything more!

She'll look good pulling the ol' 69' hardtop, especially with a Honda 4 stroke hanging on the back!!! :D:D I literally can't stop smiling! :D

bikewrench

Recruit

Hello,
Congrats on the purchase of the Ridgeline and the Hydroswift. I am very excited to see that someone else is restoring a Hydroswift as well. Mine was a Fathers day gift in June of 2009, and is still undergoing restoration. It is the 20 foot model, and I'm still trying to find out as much info on it as I can. So far the floor has been replaced, as well as a portion of the center stringer, gas tank relocated, new front seat boxes/ storage units built, a new dashboard, and many other small things that take a year + to do. The floor was by far the hardest part, and mine didn't have foam... Keep up the good work and way to go on quitting!

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello,
Congrats on the purchase of the Ridgeline and the Hydroswift. I am very excited to see that someone else is restoring a Hydroswift as well. Mine was a Fathers day gift in June of 2009, and is still undergoing restoration. It is the 20 foot model, and I'm still trying to find out as much info on it as I can. So far the floor has been replaced, as well as a portion of the center stringer, gas tank relocated, new front seat boxes/ storage units built, a new dashboard, and many other small things that take a year + to do. The floor was by far the hardest part, and mine didn't have foam... Keep up the good work and way to go on quitting!

I see you are from N. Texas. I would love to take a look at the boat and maybe get some ideas where mine was missing parts etc.. Like wise, if you want to come see the ol' 69, PM me and I can give you directions. I would like to see pics of your boat.

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Robby, how's your progress coming?
I covered my transom in 1.5oz CSM and 24oz rovin, or at least I think it's 24oz. I should be pouring foam and screwing deck soon!

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just an update. Not much progress being made with the holiday weekend and the tropical storm. I am still chipping away at foam and the transom. I must say that I HATE foam, it is a PITA to remove. I hope to get to the bare hull by next weekend and maybe some updated pics.

Anyway,
Day 42 no smoking - $252.00 saved
Savings so far ($301.87) in the hole

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Foam is a major PITA! Wire wheel makes short work of it though.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A dull Chainsaw works pretty slick as well.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks like you are making some great progress on her!

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep up the good work Robby. happy new boat, car, lungs and lower temps. we are still in the 90+ plus high humidity here. Its the middle of sept. for crying out loud.:mad: I can't seem to remember what its like to be outside without sweat soaked clothes LOL

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep up the good work Robby. happy new boat, car, lungs and lower temps. we are still in the 90+ plus high humidity here. Its the middle of sept. for crying out loud.:mad: I can't seem to remember what its like to be outside without sweat soaked clothes LOL

I live about an hour from Robby and our cool snap didn't last long. Pretty much the same as down in GA. Mid to upper 90's with super high humidity!

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Robby A,

I've been watching your progress also.. Awsome boat.. I am looking forward to see more .... Cheers....:)

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

No progress being made lately, no new pics of the boat. Thought I would post my progress on not smoking and post some pics I just received today from our annual NRA trip.

_MP30134.JPG

_MP30258_v2.jpg

I don't think I need to tell you who the guys in each photo are!

Anyway,
Day 52 no smoking - $312.00 saved
Savings so far ($241.87) in the hole
At least by now I have saved enough to buy the boat!