1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

Wood, I have to say you have an amazing amount knowledge. I have read alot of your stuff, watched your vids too. Thanks for all the help you give us newbs.

All I know is what I read in the funny papers. (and here on iBoats)

Trooper82

Commander

Then you must read alot!

And retain it well.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

All I know is what I read in the funny papers. (and here on iBoats)

But- These ARE the funny papers, aren't they?? :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

But- These ARE the funny papers, aren't they?? :)

Yep, esp if you do a spot check on some threads, yesterday was kind of a lowest common denominator kind of day. But what do I know, I didn't stay at a Holiday In.......

Good luck getting through the middle of the week.........

jbcurt00

Staff member

Have a good day off on Friday! Looking forward to an update & photos of a somewhat modified bench seat setup, w/ optional dockside feet attachments. Really stoked to see it come together!

Thanks for the counsel earlier, it was all just too much, glad you gave oops a heads up... Needed to be done.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The thing I hate most in life is GoFer work. Go Fer this and Go Fer that. I had to do some of that this morning to get everything together for the Bench Seat Frame Feet. And then It started Raining. I'm not complaining cuz we needed it badly. Slowed things down a bit but I did get the feet completed and mounted but that's about all. I wanted to get the deck ground down and the front seat bases epoxied in but I guess tomorrow is another day. Here's the feet...

Here's the Pads made out of my trusty $1.00 cutting board material.

Photo0402.jpg

I decided to rivet the pads to the angle. I think it worked out great.

Photo0397.jpg

Photo0398.jpg

I then used Stainless bolts and Lock Nuts to mount them to the wood Frame.

Photo0401.jpg

Photo0399.jpg

Photo0400.jpg

I'll remove em then coat the frame with epoxy and Paint with Hardener and the Seat will be Done!!!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

WoG - the seat work is turning out really nice. And what's all this tin talk? How about a little 2footitis already. :D A 18 ft. Holiday in Springfield, MO. It has an Mercruiser I/O - Don't know if you're stuck on an OB. http://springfield.craigslist.org/boa/2763022533.html $500

Another 18 ft. Holiday with a 115 Jonny a little more $ though. http://topeka.craigslist.org/boa/2755491341.html

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, no I/O in my future. I figure V-8's are for Cars not Boats

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I edited an OB into my post above. You were too fast for me.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks for the counsel earlier, it was all just too much, glad you gave oops a heads up... Needed to be done.

I notice things are quite over there ^^^. Good to see actually.

Now back to the work at hand. Hope to get 2 tasks done this weekend: Pickup the 503A & get back to working in the garage. Have to wait & see about the garage work....

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Great idea on the seat feet, always keeping one step ahead of standing water. The way you're engineering that BF, it will last forever. The water won't have a chance!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Very nice work on those seat mounts. Great idea.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great idea on the seat feet, always keeping one step ahead of standing water. The way you're engineering that BF, it will last forever. The water won't have a chance!

Very nice work on those seat mounts. Great idea.

The new added feet are actually an abrasion surface for using the bench seat dockside when out of the boat.:D And to protect the L bracket during same. That's back there somewhere or over in the bench building thread. And very well done!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Credit for the Seat goes to JBC^^^^and His Dockside idea. I just assembled it from his "Imagination". Thanks JBC.

I am NOT in a good mood this morning. In fact I am Pi$$ed off. My shop is over crowded and I'm sure from the pics you could see BF in the background. Last night I was Stumbling around trying to get some clamps and....I dropped one on the bow of BF!!!! :mad: :eek: I found out that the Paint is Hard cause it Chipped like plastic. I'll post some pics in a bit. I am NOT very good on Paint Repairs sooo... I am looking for advice on how to possibly do this with out having to re-shoot the entire bow. My wife would like you to help me too so she can live with me again!!!!!:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Credit for the Seat goes to JBC^^^^and His Dockside idea. I just assembled it from his "Imagination". Thanks JBC
See my busted watch ~ twice a day comment. If you hadn't done bench, the feet wouldn't have a home, so....... You did the heavy lifting, you get the credit!

Besides, it was mentioned in 1 random 1960's Glastron FireFlite ad. So a similar bench may end up in the FireFlite too....

Sorry to hear about the paint:(....... When I do something like that, I often need to walk away for a day or two, otherwise I tend to make long strings of expletives everytime I see the damage....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I have NOT been out to the shop yet and not sure I'm going today. I may just research the heck out of the net looking for Paint Chip Repair Techniques. @%%*%*@%*@%*%*@*%*@%*@%*@%*@%*@*%@*%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Too bad your grandson isn't a little older, it could be 'damage' from a cannon shot from pirates!:D Actually, he might be old enough for that.......
Mine are usually: F***F***F***F***F*F*F*F*F*F*F*F:facepalm::confused:

Hey, all us rookies appreciate this as an opportunity to learn how to do chip repair on ours.... Did that <<<--- help at all? Yeah, didn't think so, but maybe the pirate thing did a little, right.....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, I went out and assessed the damage. This is what it looks like. (Sorry Cell phone pics, Camera Battery dead)

Photo0407.jpg

About 1/2 the size of a dime.

And these two are about 1/4 of a dime.
I'm still trying to decide on a course of action, so I came in the house and I am pouting.:redface:

Photo0405.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Edited in POST #845

Hey Wood,
That really sux!...
There are actually two good things in your favor, however...well sort of anyway...
1- You still have the original color???!!!, I hope...and
2- It hasn't been aged by the sun or weather...Soooo...
you should be able to do a really good touch up, and maybe just get away with nobody but you knowing where it is...
First a question...this is just paint, right? No clear coat on top??, Right...
Well this is how we do 'em at the body shop...
this kinda carp happens all the time on freshly painted panels, and with a little elbow grease and patience, we take care of the f-ups and no body is ever the wiser...
There are two methods we use, kinda depends on a face to face with the actual damage to determine which one is more appropriate, but both will work in the end.
METHOD ONE;
Clean the area with an appropriate pre-cleaner, Fill the chipped area with paint, until it is over-filled, Let dry thoroughly, then sand with 1500/2000 grit Wet, then Buff/Polish.
METHOD TWO;
Step one- Hardest part, make it bigger with sandpaper, 180/220 grit, feather out the damage, no sharp edges...
Step two- sand with 320/400 grit about twice the size
Step Three- sand twice the size again to 600/800 grit
Step three A- Sand twice the size again, but very lightly, more like scuff, with 1500/2000 grit.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Leave the previously sanded areas untouched by the finer papers, in other words, you should end up with four or five distinct grades of roughness, the closer to the damaged area, the coarser the grit.
Step Three B- Clean/dry area with proper pre-cleaner for the paint being applied.
Step Four- begin spraying the center with the color...very light coats, keep it contained to the damaged/faired area. Let the paint flash before the next coats...
Step Four A-Z: keep spraying until it seems "filled" and faired into the 400 grit area...
Step Five- spray a couple of light coats into the final 600/800 grit area...
Step Six- Let dry thoroughly then...
Step Seven- Sand with 1500/2000 grit then Buff by whatever method, Hand {prefered} or machine to blend the painted repair in with the rest.
IMPORTANT: We usually use WET sandpaper and WET Water { Water with a few drops of dish soap in it} while sanding and flush regularly with clear water, to keep from creating more scratches than necessary.
ALSO: If possible, use a hard rubber backer block on the sandpaper when you get to the final sanding before the buffing
If done right, even you will be hard pressed to tell it ever happened...
AND: Remember to let the paint flash between coats.
Hope this Helps and Good Luck

Last edited:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

looking forward to seeing the method you repair it with...I had parked my trailer in the drive under a walnut tree, and the darn nuts falling on it chipped it in a few places like that as well...somewhat annoyed and ready to have those trees removed since my vehicles are parked there year round...