Restoring a Starcraft '66 Nassau

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Restoring a Starcraft '66 Nassau

I think it was a smaller fiberglass Larson bowrider or something like that. Maybe a tri-hull. I forget. I bought the shield off ebay.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You could build a wooden form that fit the curvature of your boat and then attach the windshield to it. White Oak is very water resistant and easy to work with. You can even steam bend it. I bet you could find a woodworker that would love to tackle that problem.

I'm just sayin...:D

Yea, I know. I just may end up there. But on hold it goes. Electric first. I have most of my electrical pieces and parts now (terminal rings, wire, fuse block). I need a bow light yet, find a globe for my Jetson stern light or by a new stern light, and a bilge pump (this boat never had one).

Plus I have a motor to work on. Wow, I have lots left to do.

tgp***

More work completed, fuse block, wire, switches, switch panel, bilge pump, new bow light. A few little things left, some interior lights,
fish locator. I would like a horn but have not found one cheap enough yet. Next, windshield, I've started searching for a different one.
One with the right curved aluminum frame on the bottom I think both the Starcrafts and Sylvans thru the mid 80's had curved frame
on the bottom. Then I think I'm ready to look at the motor I picked up for it, a 1967 Mercury 650 four.

Mounted the fuse block, main braeker, and negative bus, under the bow
100_1889.jpg

Toggel switches wired.
100_1893.jpg

Custom switch panel.
100_1892.jpg

Bilge mounted.
100_1888.jpg

Brand new bow light.
100_1896.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice work, I really like how you mounted that bilge pump, looks rock solid:)

tgp***

Have not gotten mush done lately (working for a living sucks), but I had to post my new emblems (vinyl lettering) on the boat. I also got the locator mounted.

Still searching for a windshield. I have a line on a walkthru from an 82' SC but its an 2 1/2 hour drive one way,
just have not found enough time in a day to go get it....hope fully one will turn up closer.

100_1918.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1917.jpg

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, that's really looking sharp...kudos!!!

tgp***

Thanks Kenny, Nice job on your Splash, by the way.

tgp***

I was off to pick up my motor from the shop to so I grabbed a quick photo.
Though I would show it off. The local wrench cleaned the carbs and adjusted the idles and put in a new water pump kit, and got it running, said the motor appeared not to have a lot of hours on it. Now to touch up the paint and mount the control, steering cable. I'm sure there is more for me to do yet before I can splash it in the lake. Motor photos will come soon I hope.
100_1924.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The boat is so sweet. So's the trailer. Man you need a windshield!!

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking great!! Very nice.... It should look sweet with a new windshield..... :)

tgp***

Ya, I know, I need a windshield. I'm looking for one that will fit properly. I have line on a 82 Starcraft walk-thru windshield. I just need to find the 5 hours its going to take me to go get it. So much to do so little time:(.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

She is looking super sharp!! Well done:D

tgp***

Thanks guys, its been a fun project.

I need to cut the pedestals down too. The seats are to high.

Anyone know where to look for the big rubber bushing where the manual tilt assist shocks bolt on the motor frame?

fshngho

Lieutenant

tgp, great looking boat. You have a lot to be proud of. May I suggest you try a glass shop that installs windshields? Thats my trade as it were, and I think a good mechanic could fabricate a bottom piece for your windshield or modify it to fit the boat. Don't cost nuttin to ask:D Good luck with the motor.

sprintst

Commander

Sharp looking boat man. Kudos on the wiring. That's some nice work and that kind of stuff takes time.

tgp***

Anyone know where to look for the rubber bushings on the tilt assist shocks, I have a 1967 merc 650? will regular Automotive Rubber bushings fit??

thanks

tgp***

Oh what fun.... I took the control box apart to see where to route the cables and ithey would be long enough, and of course, not to any real surprise on a 43 year old wire harness, brittle insulation on the wires (It apears only the mustard yellow wire insulation is damaged at this point). New wire will need to be soldered to the safety switch and ignition switch. The tach connector is in bad shape too, but I don't have a tach anyway.

My question is, what do I do now? I could attemp to solder new wires my self, and risk destroying the whole thing (not sure what level of craftmanship is required for this job, $8 for a 35 watt pencil solder gun at Sears). Option #2, is there a repair out there that does this type of thing, and how much will that cost? Option #3 new harness (not happening, does not exist, or cost prohibative).

What have my fellow Iboaters done in this situation??
One more thing, rubber bushings for tilt assist shocks. Will automotive ones worK?

Control Box
100_1931.jpg
[/IMG]

Bad insulation
100_1932.jpg

Bad insulation
100_1933.jpg

Tach Connector
100_1934.jpg
[/IMG]

tgp***

Well I managed to repair the wiring (I hope, time will tell).
100_1936.jpg

Some info I'm looking for now is, what do I use for bushings on the tilt assist shocks? Will automotive bushings work?

I've made some progress on the boat. Not sure I can splasher just yet. I sure could use a test tank right about now.

My escapades have taken me 4 1/2 hours round trip for a windshield. 2 hours round trip for a Bimini top and frame (still working on modifications for that). Several trip tips to the ACE harware store for stainless screws and fittings (the connection for the cabel pulley steering to the motor yoke was multipul attemps alone). Routing cables. Mounting the windshield (still need to fill the gap at the bow, not sure how I'm going to do that yet, windshield was from an 82' Starcraft 16SS, by the way). Cleaning out an merc gas tank. I still need to do a little more wiring.

I also need to cut down the pedestals. The seats just seem too high visually, comfort wise there fine, but they just look to high. Anyone out there with original seats? Please measure the seat hieght for me.

And last but not least, atrip to the local marina to have a real mechanic check out the motor (ouch!).

All of which could not have been accomplished without all of those Starcrafter's that came before me. I wanted to take this oppurtunity to say thanks to you all, and your threads that helped me along the way. Its been almost a year and I'm soooo close to splashing the boat.

I have a few things yet to do before that can happen, but, I thought I would treat you all to some photo's of the almost finished project.

Tada!
100_1987.jpg

1966 Starcraft Nassau, 1967 Mercury 650ss
100_1988.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1970.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1964.jpg

100_1985.jpg

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Really nice work TGP, the whole program looks great:D

That windshield seems to fit pretty well, it's nice that it's a Starcraft part too. Good luck on the motor work and the eventual splash, I hope she runs as good as she looks:)

Status
Not open for further replies.