• Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

Transom...
I think you'll be fine as is, if however there becomes a need down the road sometime, you could cut-out/lower the height without having to redo it all.

Paint...
FWIW, I think the humidity will definitely slow things down, but a week :confused: leads me to believe somethings not kosher, either with the paint or the primer, wish I had more experience to help.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I end up with ton's of nicks and paint bruises...... the good part is that it touches up easy but it was frustrating.

Our weather is not the best and I am convinced that time not weather is the curing factor. As a side not I re-painted my metal shed with rusto ........ right over the old pain w/o prep and it cured up and stuck fine.

Yup the 20.5" transom height will be fine........ did you measure it vertical or on the boat surface? The measurement needs to be vertical which should leave your tape measure about 2-3" away from the hull ;)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yup the 20.5" transom height will be fine........ did you measure it vertical or on the boat surface? The measurement needs to be vertical which should leave your tape measure about 2-3" away from the hull ;)

Well, it's still on the stand in my shed, and the motor is not quite vertical, but I put a small board on top of the cav. plate and measured down from where the bracket sits on the stand to the bottom of the board.

As far as the paint, I'm thinking it's time and humidity. The transom board that I painted with the same paint weeks ago stood up very well to my handling it and slipping it in and out of the transom several times tonight. It's much harder. And that's only one coat, I haven't done the subsequent ones yet.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Transom...
I think you'll be fine as is, if however there becomes a need down the road sometime, you could cut-out/lower the height without having to redo it all.

Paint...
FWIW, I think the humidity will definitely slow things down, but a week :confused: leads me to believe somethings not kosher, either with the paint or the primer, wish I had more experience to help.

Transom: Yeah, I got thinking about that and I could get out the old jig saw and just modify the top a bit if I needed to.

Paint: I don't know, I'm talkin' steam bath humidity this week. The air's starting to dry out now.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know, I'm talkin' steam bath humidity this week. The air's starting to dry out now.

I hope things are fine, like I say, not enough experience to be sure...sounds right though if it's been like it has here as of late...can't even get the dogs to go out and do their biz :D fingers crossed for ya!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

My Starcraft is getting further and further away from original.

Today I was measuring and fitting for seats, controls, etc. and when it came right down to it, I'm going to have to leave the dash tray out permanently. Kinda disappointed after stripping all the paint & old glue, sanding smooth, & buying vinyl. I'm pretty tall w/ long legs and there's just not enough room for poor old me once I get the seats and steering wheel and control situated. I can't see smashing my knees into the dash in the chop. I also have the 20 degree Teleflex mounting adapter that I might use anyway just to give a little more knee room.

I bought a BRP replacement control for my 50 and those newer controls take up a lot more operating space than the old 2-lever speed & shift controls. I tried every which way from Sunday to convince myself the dash would fit in the plan, but in the end, there's just not enough room for comfort. So pushing on from here. Reminds me of the other thread about restoring vs. making it your own. But I gotta be able to enjoy it & use it comfortably.

Weather looks good, more work tomorrow, I hope. :)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A frustrating day, but in the end, productive.

I spent the day fabricating a new board for the control and cutting out seat boards. You wouldn't think it would take that long, but...The control mount board had to be completely redesigned and adapted to fit the newer controls, made larger and thicker. I just plain screwed up the first time and cut it wrong. (It was early!) Then I got my act together and remeasured, cut drilled and glued. I needed to increase the thickness for clearance for the lever travel, and the high idle lever to operate. I'll apply some epoxy and then plan to cover it with vinyl.

wDSC_2778.jpg

Cutting the seat boards was very frustrating, until I finally figured out what was going on. I measured and re-measured and measured again, thought it was right, laid out the cuts and cut the front board out. It was way off and I was out of 3/4" exterior by then, so I had to hook up the trailer and make a mid-day excursion to Lowe's. Got back and started in again, and darned if I didn't keep coming out with a different measurement every time. Unbelieveable, I didn't think I was that bad at it. I was using my trusty old measuring tape and an excellent 4' T-square that I use for cutting mats for photographs. After my umpteenth calculation, measurement and transfer to the plywood, it was screwy again. OK, really started thinking and checking things out and here's what I discovered.....my !&%#}*! 4' T-square is only 47-7/8 inches long!!! Never noticed it when measuring from the right end! :mad:

2-DSC_2776.jpg

You wouldn't think it would make that much difference, but I was using them interchangeably, having to measure certain distances from the center to the edges etc. Well, from now on, it's only a square, not a ruler too.:mad:

So after figuring that out, the re-cut went really smooth and it fit right in, and the measuring & cutting of the rear seat board did the same. I'd hoped to get to some more epoxying done today too, but now I'm shot for the day, too much sun etc. Felt triumphant though when the second board slipped right into place!

wDSC_2775.jpg

wDSC_2767.jpg

When I bought this boat, I didn't realize at the time just how much of a rebuild it was going to be, but as I got into it more and more, it turned into a lot more work than I imagined. It's enjoyable, but some days I wonder "What was I thinking?".

Not sure I'll get to epoxy tomorrow, might be getting some rain & thunderstorms.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is coming along nicely there lakelover, I've enjoyed reading your thread so far. Glad to see the measurements finally worked out for you. :)

Tony

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks, Tony, and welcome to the iboats forum. I've had some time to get working on things over the last few weeks and it feels like I'm finally making some progress. Since I started this over a year ago, I may have the longest running project yet....:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am sorry for laughing but the T square thing is something that only happens to me.

Nice controller!!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I am sorry for laughing but the T square thing is something that only happens to me.

:D:D:D It's funnier tonight.

Nice controller!!

Have to admit, I was limping after paying for that thing. And next comes the tach/warning light cluster. Ouch.You really get hosed with OEM.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice looking seats Lakelover.... What type of wood did you use for your seatboards?? I'm replacing the seat boards in my 12' Sea King. :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That controller is badass.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm with Bob and EZ...love that throttle control:D I really like the seating setup too. Should be very solid and balance the boat well.:)

Very nice work, don't worry I went thru a fair amount of plywood due to poor measurements myself:rolleyes:

Will the seats still be able to fold out into benches?

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Coming along nice. Count another on the controller like side...wow!
Now I'm going to have to look at my t-square, hopefully I can blame past poor drywall jobs on it{lol}.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Nice looking seats Lakelover.... What type of wood did you use for your seatboards?? I'm replacing the seat boards in my 12' Sea King. :)

Thanks. I just used 3/4" exterior plywood from Lowe's. I'm going to apply epoxy and then prime & paint with Rustoleum Marine primer & paint. My previous reservations about the Rustoleum seem to be diminishing, after the paint curing for a few more days, it seems harder and more durable now.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I'm with Bob and EZ...love that throttle control:D I really like the seating setup too. Should be very solid and balance the boat well.:)

Very nice work, don't worry I went thru a fair amount of plywood due to poor measurements myself:rolleyes:

Will the seats still be able to fold out into benches?

Thanks, it's easier to laugh about it now, not so much yesterday.:redface: The seats are regular fold-down individual seats, they fold down but aren't the lounge type. I felt bad about the decision to eliminate the dash tray, but there's so much more knee room now, it will be tons better for front seat comfort.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

That controller is badass.

Thanks for all the thumbs-up's on the controller. I went back and forth over Teleflex vs. OEM and finally decided to go for it and get as close to an original setup with the motor as I could. I'm trying to do things so that when it's finally finished, I won't be having to be fiddling around and pulling things apart all the time. You know, just boating!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I just saw this post with a link to this stuff. Looks kinda interesting. I thought you might want to investigate.

Uh, am I missing something here?