1995 Larson 174 SEI Complete Rebuild

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
That was some cold grinding this morning. Rolled out in the driveway, ground on some of the new glass and cleaned up some areas that needed to be smoothed out. Cleaned everything out and pushed her back in the garage to warm up. I decided against using PL and actually ended up putting 2 layers of CSM on the ends of the boards and then clamping it down and brad nailing it. They overlap the width just a little bit but will get covered with PB so I don't have to fight them. This way there nice and isolated and I don't have to wait for the PL to off gas. The structure is just sitting on the hull right now, I will space it up in the morning and start bedding and tabbing this sucker. Its going to be a long day tomorrow.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very nice work!!! I got a lot of catching up to do to keep up with ya.. Yes that wind made it pretty cold today... BUT better than the hot days :) Looking forward to see that in and solid again ;)

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very nice work!!! I got a lot of catching up to do to keep up with ya.. Yes that wind made it pretty cold today... BUT better than the hot days :) Looking forward to see that in and solid again ;)

Don't worry I'll be slowing down here soon, next weekend is opening gun deer and I'll be up north then there's thanksgiving so I won't have another good weekend to put in for a while. Weeknight are hard cuz by the time ur ready and get going it's time to clean up lol.

I will be happy once there are in and can make her a little more solid again.

oldrem

Commander
Our gun season here in Wisconsin also opens next Saturday, but I've only been bow hunting the past few years.

Looking great Mike

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Our gun season here in Wisconsin also opens next Saturday, but I've only been bow hunting the past few years.

Looking great Mike

We share the same season lol. I live just outside Madison, I have a trailer in a resort in Conover.

I didn't get out for bow at all, I'm kind of sad. I usually only biw and then just go for opening gun weekend for the tradition

thanks

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boy o boy what a day. Started at about 7 this morning and took pictures at about 330. Everything I have inside is tabbed in with 2 layers each. I just kicked my first 5 gallon bucket and used about 2 quarts from the next one and probably used half my Cabosil now. I have my waist down to almost nothing now, just a skim coat on the pans and mixing cups.

For anyone reading this looking for tips. I started using smaller amounts per batch. Id say 24oz and ran it completely out before mixing another batch. Mixing cups are cheap and I really haven't waisted many of those either. Set them aside and the next day just break the hard stuff out and its good to go.
Also get yourself a good size piece of cardboard and wet out the 1708 backside (CSM Side) on there before putting in place, this worked amazing. You will need a lot of gloves but it went so easy after I started doing this. I was able to do each square section at a time with wet PB and both layers wet on wet. I got almost no bubbles at all and any that did show up were cake to make disappear. Doing it this way I really didn't need the bubble buster either, they just rolled out with the paint roller.

I worked on a square section at a time and basically did one side of the boat, took a small lunch break did the other side of the boat and another break to let things harden and find home. Then finally the center gas tank section. That's where I knelt most of the time and wanted to let the hull harden in its natural position without my weight in there before I did that gas tank section.

Its a little sticky in there so the pictures aren't the best.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
So can you reuse the measuring cups? The resin breaks out from it after it hardens?

I've been able to reuse most of mine, it depends though. Some of the PB ones didn't make it so well. Most have come out nice and clean. I bought a 100 pack on Amazon for $39 and have not used 25 yet.

I have also reused my paint trays so far cycling between 4 of them

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Which paint rollers are you using besides the bubble buster fiberglass roller?

nap rollers 6in I found them on Amazon too, 12 pack for 13.99. I did a lot of looking around for the best prices on stuff. Just killed my first 12 pack too.

FreeBoatLOL

Recruit
Did you make your own spacers or use something in particular for the spacing, doing a restoration myself of a 1988 Bayliner Capri 1500.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you make your own spacers or use something in particular for the spacing, doing a restoration myself of a 1988 Bayliner Capri 1500.

I had used some junk 1/2 pink board laying around that I used to cut for the template of the transom. I just cut some small pieces from the left over just under the width of the plywood to shove under it.

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I used Acetone to clean out my cups and bubble buster, just keep a small cup of it on the table and keep your roller in there when you are mixing your next batch of resin. (although not sure what you would do with a paint roller).

I also have a "overflow" container that I put my cup onto after I am done for the day, the resin will drain out, and the thin layer thats left ends up breaking out pretty easily.
20180624_172114.jpg

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used Acetone to clean out my cups and bubble buster, just keep a small cup of it on the table and keep your roller in there when you are mixing your next batch of resin. (although not sure what you would do with a paint roller).

I also have a "overflow" container that I put my cup onto after I am done for the day, the resin will drain out, and the thin layer thats left ends up breaking out pretty easily.

I have a metal paint container half full of acetone I put all my stuff in as I'm done with it. Just wipe it off after a little while. I find the larger amounts left in the container break out easier. The thin layers cracks and chips out in smaller bits it's seems.

paint rollers are too much to mess with, just toss em. Especially if you can do larger layupswet on wet like I have been doing.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another good night, got the two front bow section pieces and a brace piece that will span in front of these two pieces to create the stop point for the floor and create the trap for the foam. Got them soaking in resin last night and should be ready to bed and tab after work.