1974 Duo Vagabond 17' sterndrive Transom and stringers project

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been reading on shift interrupt in the Mercruiser section and maybe my issue.
Im thinking power comes from ignition switch thru shift interrupt then to coil thru the resistor wire?
Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Going to have to recheck my ignition power issue after all final assembly.
finally got my hands on an alignment tool. Guy I got it from was very helpful and knowledge. Reminded me about the proper assembly of the rear mount hardware and explained that it will mess up drive alignment if not proper. Double wound lock washer and fibre washer is important.
Fortunately I had it all correct BUT had installed my front mount backwards. Don’t really know what I was thinking, adjustment nut facing the engine makes adjustments impossible. Turned the mount around and did an initial check, front of engine seems way too high, I assume it was adjusted to a sagging floor.
hope to get the alignment done tonight.
still hopefull to dunk test her this weekend🤫

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update time again.
alignment all sorted out and front mount sorted out and bolted down as well. Waiting on a exhaust bellows ( which I forgot to order, will finish install of the outdrive once I get it installed.
picked up a couple of low back swivel seats that will do for the time being.
I think I am going to build small 3 sided boxes as opposed to mounting pedestals, will also give a bit of storage.
I also sorted out my ignition power supply.
so water test was planned for last weekend and that kind of fell apart. Last week was brutally hot and busy. Hopefully more will get accomplished this week. I have 3 weeks until summer holidays and really hoping the boat will be coming🤔

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Productive evening last night.
exhaust bellows came early. Man is it getting hard to buy local.
the only locally operated marine supplier had no stock, told me ordered Friday would be in Tuesday- “probably” $110 bucks no clamps and no sealant (both would have been extra)
ordered online Friday evening received Monday all including tax and shipping to Canada $43.
was a bit of a P.I.T.A. To install but not too bad - about an hour with the drive off.
also got the drive installed (also a pain, doing it for the first time alone, in the dark under flood lights, in a tent being swarmed by dammed mosquitoes. Trim cylinders are on and everything works, I think I will need to bleed the system or / and top up the fluid.
tonight I hope to get the seat boxes cut and sealed with resin.
Its getting to be crunch time to have it all usable within the next couple weeks. Still hopeful but need to stay committed.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
If anyone is curious about the bellows I used plastic tie wraps and basic hand tools to stretch and wiggle it into place. Had to double up the tie wraps as they kept pulling apart.
I am an auto mechanic so accustomed to contorted jobs but not the worst job I have had to do.
patience and perseverance 😉 worked

Baylinerchuck

Commander
My exhaust bellows on my Alpha kept popping off, usually on the outdrive side. After several times I threaded a stainless screw into the bottom of the mounting horn. I used black gasket maker as my glue and pushed the bellows over the screw head. I installed the clamp behind the screw head. There is no way these will pop of now. So far so good.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
BIG UPDATE TIME 😁
well been a very busy and productive week.
Built and installed seat boxes and a final layer of glass on the floor followed by lots more sanding. Installed the seats.
Started and ran the engine on a flusher and garden hose. All went well, no leaks, minor engine adjustments, engine sounds good. Shifts well into forward and reverse. Bled hydraulic system.
Cleaned out everything not required and went through required safety gear.
today was water test day!
Took it down to a local lake (Puslinch Lake) and dropped it in for testing. No water leaks.
spent the next 2 hours running about on the water, checking and rechecking. VERY HAPPY 😊
this was an untried $600 boat and trailer with known issues when purchased.
A few trim rattles to deal with , mostly windshield area but performed better than expected, up on plane very easily.
I still have lots more to do with interior and possibly hull paint in the future but Wow what a feeling to be out on the water after 2 years of planning and work.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks to everyone for helping me get to this point.
Im definitely not done with this build but it’s sure feels good to get it to this point👍

Attachments

• photo316833.jpg
    photo316833.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316834.jpg
    photo316834.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 0

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been a busy and HOT 🥵 week at work and not getting much done at night. Lots of planning and shopping for little things.
updated ladder, new drain plug, carpet to get us through this season new PFDs for the wife and kids etc.
bought some compound to get a bit of a shine on her if time permits.
Still need to tweak the carb. A bit and get idle correct.
Doing a last coat of csm as waterproof on the centre of the decking today, painting the seat bases.
trying to figure out where I can mount a spare on the trailer but may just have to put it on the rooftop of my Land Rover for now.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It has been HOT 🥵 this week that’s for sure. My fat azz hasn’t been outside much at all. Happy to see your getting the short list done! Congrats ;)