1987 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II - First Time Rebuild - Floor, Engine, Dash, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well I have the grinding underway. Its actually kind of soothing, but it is taking a really long time. the last person to do this really didn't put much fiberglass matting when glassing the stringers in. Its primarily just globs of epoxy, makes me wonder if it was from the factory, or if someone has rebuilt it before me.

20180421_111315.jpg

Attachments

• 20180421_111147.jpg
    20180421_111147.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180421_132547.jpg
    20180421_132547.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180421_132532.jpg
    20180421_132532.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

ACon977

FYI, before people comment that Im not far enough, these were photos showing the epoxy buildup, Im grinding it down until I see the mat strands.

ACon977

Well a long weekend of grinding behind me and I have the port side stringer cleaned up and part of the starboard done. Still a bit to do. But I am feeling better about keeping the momentum moving forward.
20180422_121018.jpg

Attachments

• 20180422_121024.jpg
    20180422_121024.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You can grind just the areas getting glass but....but I recommend the entire hull. Like a pc. of mind knowing you found ALL the little faults in the glass. Yup looks like factory install. Usually when you see that weave of glass, roven woven
it usually indicates factory. I can be dry from not enough resin and resins pools in areas that didn't get worked enough into the glass. Lots of guys show these over pour pools of resin.
I had it too and grinded it out to glass over. It's brittle and has no strength.
Looking good there Acon... and don't give a hoot what others think about speed. Always comes down to time and money.

ACon977

Also, looking for recommendations for dust collection.... my garage looks like a cocaine factory at the moment, not a great feeling seeing as I want to be able to use it in the future.

I was thinking of trying to fab up a filter bag attached to a box fan,, but don't know how much that would actually do.

ACon977

You can grind just the areas getting glass but....but I recommend the entire hull. Like a pc. of mind knowing you found ALL the little faults in the glass.
Thanks KC! I definitely understand the piece of mind with going over the whole hull, I have a few areas I am certainly grinding over and touching up, Woven which is bubbled up and some huge globs of just garbage.
Glass Mat - Poor (2).JPGGlass Bulk Head.JPG

The other thing that really worried me was the rivet holes in the cap. Most of them are at the top if not breaking through the top lip, I definitely want to grind, and reglass these so that the holes are in a stronger part of the hull. Its a blurry image of the cap, but I was trying to get the view into the inside.
Hull Holes.JPG

So with all those touchups ill probably end up grinding 70-80% of the hull but I have definitely inspected the whole thing.

Yup looks like factory install. Usually when you see that weave of glass, roven woven
it usually indicates factory. I can be dry from not enough resin and resins pools in areas that didn't get worked enough into the glass. Lots of guys show these over pour pools of resin. I had it too and grinded it out to glass over. It's brittle and has no strength.
Sad to me that the factory had this happen so frequently that its showing up in these rebuilds often enough. But I've worked in manufacturing and honestly, its scary some of the stuff that gets through. These pools are definitely getting ground out and reglassed. Ive heard that epoxy resin has strength on its own, not much though. But most of these boats were manufactured with Polyester resin which is exactly what you said, brittle and no strength. I plan on working the resin into the glass so that it fully adheres and its something I can be proud of.

Looking good there Acon... and don't give a hoot what others think about speed. Always comes down to time and money.
Honestly the timeline has been doing ok! Hoping to get a splash this summer/fall at some point; probably late fall lol. Everyone on here has been super helpful so far. Lots and lots of experience thats helping me to avoid some big mistakes.

Cheers everyone! Thanks for following along!

Attachments

• Glass Mat - Poor.JPG
    Glass Mat - Poor.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Glass Mat - Poor (3).JPG
    Glass Mat - Poor (3).JPG
    138 KB · Views: 2
  • Glass Mat - Poor (3).JPG
    Glass Mat - Poor (3).JPG
    138 KB · Views: 1

ACon977

Yup there out there.Look under dust collector for grinder.
https://www.amazon.com/Dastool-Surfa...70_&dpSrc=srch

This looks promising. How well do these work? Ive used my shopvac to clean up afterwards but the filter has been clogging pretty quickly. Also I feel like this would also restrict the grinding area of the wheel, since im getting into some tight spaces it could be an issue.. the dust may be unavoidable, just curious about people's personal experiences with it.

Any thoughts on doing a "dust bubble" or paint booth around the boat just to try and keep it all contained?

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I've never used one so no opinion. I've always had to do my work outside. I have seen guys build a negative pressure bubble enclosure. Or was it a positive one? IDK.

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I attached a 2x4 pole at the back and front of my boat and connected them with a rope then draped a clear plastic "tent" over the rope. Then I taped the plastic to the rub rail. Nothing fancy but it worked pretty well. I still got a little dust in the garage but nothing near what I would have if I had not built the tent. Good luck with the grinding and can't wait to see the boat on the water.

ACon977

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I thought about building a tent like 89 has suggested but then realized that I couldnt cut any wood without moving my extension cord from where it is up in the rafters. Damn fuse box is still blown in the garage. But I put a fan in the bow of the boat and opened the garage door, that created low pressure leading to outside and kept the airflow that way. It seemed to be a bit better.

I got most of the way done with the starboard side stringer last night, but its really not fun to grind with just a headlamp. Hoping to finish off the last bit of major grinding tonight and then finish off the final touch ups next week. My brother will be in town this weekend so I dont think I will have much time to hobbit myself in the garage.

ACon977

As Im starting to wrap up on the grinding, it was a productive beginning of the week, what is some advice for cutting the stringers. I know my inboard is a little different than the normal I/O's and outboards on this site, but it looks like a 20' 2x6 cut to the profile of the boat, and then a 3' 2x6 next to the motor mounts for extra strength.

ACon977

This isnt a great image, but it shows where the motor mounts sit
Engine Mount Stringers.JPG

ACon977

Well actually its a 19' boat, so they wont be 20' stringers, but yea, still thinking 2x6 is the height I need.

ACon977

well that 'splains it, from the thread title I thought it was splashed, but couldn't find a pic of it splashed

Ahhh... I can change that. Sorry, i thought that entered this thread into a rebuild competition. Thought I had read that somewhere.

ACon977

So, how do you change a post title? I dont want people to be confused now.

ACon977

Boy, I am all over the place, my apologies. I found a forum where moderators/administrators are changing titles for people since it has to be within 6 hrs of posting.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Boy, I am all over the place, my apologies. I found a forum where moderators/administrators are changing titles for people since it has to be within 6 hrs of posting.

Un-Splashed, AC. Nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.