Southern Maryland Tolman Jumbo Build [Splashed 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh jeez that looked like things could get sketchy in a hurry if the ice were to get much thicker. :eek:.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No wonder the fishing was a bust. Mrs. Paul's and Gorton's are tough fishin'!

The water was crowded, too. Still a day on the water.....................

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow ! Pretty sketchy with all the ice ! Maybe a steel hull next time LOL!!

oldrem

Commander
Nice video, but brought back some bad memories when a buddy and I almost lost our lives breaking through ice a few years ago.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Oh jeez that looked like things could get sketchy in a hurry if the ice were to get much thicker. :eek:.

It was definitely a tense, but fun time.

No wonder the fishing was a bust. Mrs. Paul's and Gorton's are tough fishin'!

The water was crowded, too. Still a day on the water.....................

Lol... I saw one steel hull trawler going south out of DC, one range boat because the military was bombing the range on the VA side, one crazy boater in an aluminum boat going through the ice on plane, and one Parker pilothouse with a reporter doing some surveys at the powerplant discharge. Very busy ha ha...

Remeber the Titanic. Looked like a lot of fun!

That did cross my mind.

Wow ! Pretty sketchy with all the ice ! Maybe a steel hull next time LOL!!

Right? ... was thinking about those Coast Guard boats up in Annapolis busting the ice for a commercial shipping lane.

Nice video, but brought back some bad memories when a buddy and I almost lost our lives breaking through ice a few years ago.

Wow, glad every one was OK.

I wasn't to concerned about 1/2" of ice. The keel of my boat is almost 3" thick with epoxy and fiberglass. Most of the damage to a boat going through ice would be on the chine / side area. Mine has 60 ounces of fiberglass / epoxy....

The ice didn't even scratch the graphite / epoxy coat.

I'm so ready for some warm water eddies to come up here with some bluefish, shark, and tuna in them!!!

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey CJ, Congrats on the completion of the Jumbo. Wow, outstanding work! May she be blessed with fair winds and following seas.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Talk about late to the party. Before voting I am taking the time to go through as much as the threads for the builds and restorations first. Congrats dear Sir, you have some serious skills down there. Man I would love to have a run about fishing on her here on the Great Lakes where we wash lures. I am almost speechless and that doesn't happen often. She sure seems to ride just fine and that Yammy hardly makes noise for a 2 stroke. I see some perty big Tuna fights in the future for you. Again congratulations young man. 40 nph, amazing.

I do have 1 question, what is the concept behind the forward angled front wind screen? I do see some commercial fishing boats here on Lake Erie with that design as well, not often though. OK 2 questions I may have missed it but what does she weigh in at, minus 500lb Blue Fin.

cj8mule

Very cool, nice to see them pics and videos. Love the aluminum radar mount.

Thank you. The radar mount was cheap and fun to make!

Hey CJ, Congrats on the completion of the Jumbo. Wow, outstanding work! May she be blessed with fair winds and following seas.

Thank WnW! I do love following seas.

Talk about late to the party. Before voting I am taking the time to go through as much as the threads for the builds and restorations first. Congrats dear Sir, you have some serious skills down there. Man I would love to have a run about fishing on her here on the Great Lakes where we wash lures. I am almost speechless and that doesn't happen often. She sure seems to ride just fine and that Yammy hardly makes noise for a 2 stroke. I see some perty big Tuna fights in the future for you. Again congratulations young man. 40 nph, amazing.

I do have 1 question, what is the concept behind the forward angled front wind screen? I do see some commercial fishing boats here on Lake Erie with that design as well, not often though. OK 2 questions I may have missed it but what does she weigh in at, minus 500lb Blue Fin.

Thanks for stopping by IronMaker. Come on down to Southern Maryland and you'd be welcome to wash some lures in the Chesapeake with us!

With regard to the forward slanting windshields: There are some pros and cons.... Slanting forward gives me a huge dash to mount electronics on. It also helps keep the window clear when raining. The only disadvantage I can think of is if taking blue water over bow, the pressure on the windows would increase. It should never be a problem with the way this boat just bobs around. I've only stuffed the bow once into a breaking 4 foot wave and had some spray.

I have not weighed the boat on a scale, but rough estimate is around 4200 pounds. 5000 pounds with fuel/gear/ice for a tuna trip.

Keep your eye out for a few Jumbo's running around your neck of the woods. There is one I know of for sure up there called "I Made It". He's a great guy and would probably take you out for a ride!

--dave

cj8mule

Bow gas tank is done and filled up. I have 86 gallons of fuel on board which is plenty to reach any of the canyons around here.

I started working on some outriggers and center-rigger. I used some locally sources old growth bamboo. The bamboo got sanded, primed, painted, and taped up. I priced out some outrigger mounts and had a small stroke... no way I'm paying $600 for some chunks of Aluminum.

HGy3acll.jpg

3RjkoCIl.jpg

BUcM5GFl.jpg

09czqPAl.jpg

One step closer to the tuna season. I'm really getting fired up!

--dave

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I prefer forward slanting windshields myself, they feel roomier as well and water doesn't seem to stick on them

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Rocking the offshore trawler look, better not forget your camera when you head out for tuna.

cj8mule

Rocking the offshore trawler look, better not forget your camera when you head out for tuna.

I'm thinking about getting one of go pro cameras to mount on the back to catch all the action.

I prefer forward slanting windshields myself, they feel roomier as well and water doesn't seem to stick on them

I agree they shed water pretty well. Especially, with some rainx!

So too cool! How about a little more info on the bamboo outriggers?

I can't claim the idea of bamboo outriggers. The fishing fleet North and South of me have been using them for over 50 years. I spent more time making the outrigger bases than I did on the bamboo. I'm not sure how long they'll last, but they are wicked strong. I'm hoping for at least 4 or 5 years.

I can't think of anything better than to use a bamboo outrigger on a wood boat:joyous:

--dave

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I can't claim the idea of bamboo outriggers. The fishing fleet North and South of me have been using them for over 50 years. I spent more time making the outrigger bases than I did on the bamboo. I'm not sure how long they'll last, but they are wicked strong. I'm hoping for at least 4 or 5 years.

I can't think of anything better than to use a bamboo outrigger on a wood boat:joyous:

I looked into them last night while at work. Very doable!! They are on my to do list, thanks! Waiting to see the 1st tuna ya land.:D

cj8mule

What length riggers ya got there. Look@ 20'.

16' if I am remembering correctly.

I get to test them out next month striped bass fishing in the Chesapeake Bay. Should be fun and a lot better than using my planer boards.

--dave

Status
Not open for further replies.