96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I had another thought that might be worth trying... I read somewhere that you can mix gelcoat with poly resin and it will result in a lower viscosity liquid... Wondering if I do that, plus add like 5% MEK, I might get something that will flow out enough and not cost me any money since I already have that stuff. Maybe I'll make a test panel and give it a shot to see how it levels and cures. I could even add some white pigment to the laminating resin to help with the opacity... Then for my final topcoat, I can use plan gelcoat that is color matched to the hull, and maybe I can use duratec for the last coat...

I don't really want to go the route of patchaid or duratec for the whole thing, because for one, it isn't cheap. Also, it causes the gel to air cure which means I would have to sand between each coat and I plan on 2 to 3 coats. I'm thinking if I can get the first 2 coats to lay down and level out fairly well, then maybe I can use duratec for the final coat to thin it, and give me the air cure benefit...

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
If it doesn't work out well, still use the duratec paint

Watching this with great interest... but I've now bought PVA and the wax additive arrived today... is Duratec better than all these and if dilution is 50:50, I should spend a couple hundred more and use it instead of the other air inhibitors for my gel coat?

Chris51280

Ensign
Watching this with great interest... but I've now bought PVA and the wax additive arrived today... is Duratec better than all these and if dilution is 50:50, I should spend a couple hundred more and use it instead of the other air inhibitors for my gel coat?

not necessarily. I think that I didn't use enough wax. 2%. There is this problem of gelcoat needing a certain thickness to cure. Like resin, it needs a certain temp to cure and achieves that when you have a thicker coat. My coats were just rolled on and therefore probably thin. It is a tricky substance for sure. After I applied it, I went on vacation for about 4 weeks and had it in the open where it had time to fully cure with the wax. It was just that it didn't in the first 2-3 days and it was still sticking to my wal mart bags on the feet. Now it is cured but there are spots that got dirty and it stuck to it. So just give it time and maybe more wax could not hurt. I also sprayed PVS on it but that was also a little fast maybe. The problem is that gelcoat kicks really fast, like in 5 minutes. I'm not a pro for sure and it seems that alot of people have tried it with mixed success. Maybe I will do another coat someday when I have more time but I wanted to get it done this year to use and time was short.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
not necessarily. I think that I didn't use enough wax. 2%. There is this problem of gelcoat needing a certain thickness to cure. Like resin, it needs a certain temp to cure and achieves that when you have a thicker coat. My coats were just rolled on and therefore probably thin. It is a tricky substance for sure. After I applied it, I went on vacation for about 4 weeks and had it in the open where it had time to fully cure with the wax. It was just that it didn't in the first 2-3 days and it was still sticking to my wal mart bags on the feet. Now it is cured but there are spots that got dirty and it stuck to it. So just give it time and maybe more wax could not hurt. I also sprayed PVS on it but that was also a little fast maybe. The problem is that gelcoat kicks really fast, like in 5 minutes. I'm not a pro for sure and it seems that alot of people have tried it with mixed success. Maybe I will do another coat someday when I have more time but I wanted to get it done this year to use and time was short.

Great info, thanks! :thumb:

Baylinerchuck

Commander

I ran into the same problem on my bow. I did the entire open bow area in gel coat as opposed to the original carpet. I spent a lot of time faring then used a 1/4” nap cabinet roller to apply the gel. I did a total of 10 coats Un-waxed, and one waxed. I actually had to use a heater to get some of the coats to kick. It did leave a slight texture using the roller. My plan was to sand smooth, but in the end I kinda liked the texture. I think it turned out great.

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have not used it and have found others with better reviews for much more money but US Composites has gelcoat dump guns for a pretty reasonable price if texture is a big concern, the $235 model dump gun even has external mixing so you don’t have to worry about the gelcoat kicking off in the container.

I am am going to give the Harbor Freight $21 HD siphon gun with the 2.0 mm nozzle a go since I am doing the sides of the hull as well. Would rather spray than do that all with a roller.

I have done some testing with thinning my pure white gelcoat at 10% with Styrene and it turned out great(no yellowing), besides the fact that the stuff kicks off super fast, about half the working time as resin at the same mixing ratios for MEKP.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Well, I cleaned out the hull today... lots of fiberglass dust was up under the gunwhales and basically everywhere... basically just sprayed the garden hose until the water was clear... then got in and dried out any spots that pooled up. Sitting in the garage now with a fan on it to make sure it all dries up well..

I think my plan is going to be to gelcoat the seat boxes and bilge area first to see how it goes in areas that aren'tgonna be seen much.

I also made a test panel tonight that I can use to experiment on with thinking gelcoat and application techniques.

Capriupgrade

Seaman Apprentice
Mad Props - I am in the same boat as you (ha! unintentional pun). I plan on gel coating everything, but I want minimal post processing. Have you thought about using a pressure pot?
This is my plan, yet to be tested though. I bought one at harbor freight for around 50 bucks and its nice because you can put pot liners in it. So, you mix up your gel coat, pour it in the pot, set a timer for your working time (~20 min), and start spraying. Then, when either you are done or the timer goes off, you pull the pot liner, fill it with acetone, and clean out your lines. Theoretically a somewhat easy cleanup with decent surface finish? I read that a well controlled spray pot finish will be matte with maybe a slight orange peel. Because it is a pressure pot, you have better control over viscus fluids than a siphon or gravity feed gun.
paint gun.jpeg

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I dont want to get involved in spraying as I dont have a good place to do it or the right equipment... I have a decent compressor but dont have the dryers, oil separator, etc...

I have no doubt a dump gun or pressure pot is the most effective way to get the job done, but it's just really not an option for me.

I think if I were do plan this part over, I would have skipped the gelcoat on the floor and gone for a rolled and tipped paint... it's just better suited to backside cure and all around better/smoother finish...

Oh well, live and learn lol. I'm sure I'll still like it and I always have the option down the road to sand it down and paint if I hate it.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I'm not overly proud of the amount of day job work I did today... it just kept getting in the way of my boat research :D

After much hesitation, I pulled the trigger on interlux brightside paint for my floor...

I decided to use the gelcoat I already bought to finish the bilge/engine compartment and the insides of the seat boxes... this way, I wont need a ton of paint to do the deck area. I ordered 2 quarts and a quart of primer. I also bought a quart of the brushing reducer.

I've read lots of good stuff about the brightside paint so I'm anxious to try it and see how it works out.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
No major updates yet, I've been holding off on doing much of any gelcoating yet because its been in the mid to upper 80s in the garage into the night lately plus high humidity... I'm afraid to get started and find out its too humid for the gel to cure properly, plus it being that hot it would probably have a very short pot life.
The weather looks awesome starting Friday so I will probably try to get some gelcoating done this weekend... Unfortunately, I forgot I was fresh out of surfacing wax, so I might try to just do 2 coats and then top coat it once I get the new wax. I just ordered today from US Composites in addition to some duratec for the final coat... I'm hoping its not an issue letting the 2 layers sit for several days before I put the 3rd and final coat on.... Can't imagine it matters much.

On a side note... I made a small test panel for once I get the paint to see how it works and to practice rolling and tipping. Its on the small side but I just uses a scrap of 1/8" ply I had lying around... I gelcoated it last night with 2 year old gelcoat lol... I'm not expecting it to set up, but it was still entirely liquid, not gelled up at all, so I thought it would give it a shot.

Don't worry, I have 2 new gallons of gel that I will use on the boat.
20190820_215331-800x600.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
What's the big deal about gelcoat? I see guys slop it on every day with no issues? Just saying.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Yep, checked it this morning and it set up perfect.. The only thing is its a bit tacky in some spots still because I didn't have enough wax left, it was probably only like 0.8% wax, where it shoulda been like 2%. Its all hard, just will probably gum up the sand paper a little.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
What's the big deal about gelcoat? I see guys slop it on every day with no issues? Just saying.

Lol, I know, its probably totally fine... A lot of boats are built in florida where its 9000% humidity, so I'm probably just overthinking it, but its hard to do it when I can wait 1 day and it will be beautiful weather here in central PA.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Unfortunately I have a big pile of "no updates" to share with everyone....

This weekend got away from us and were just so darn busy I didn't have a minute to work on the boat and it was killing me inside cuz the weather was absolutely fantastic.

I got the interlux paint in the mail and the boat cleaned out and everything just sitting there waiting for me, just need the time now...

I think I might play hookey tomorrow and do the gelcoating, maybe even some interlux primer. I just need to sit down and have a good think-thru tonight to make sure theres nothing else that needs glassed/drilled/grinded/etc... The last thing I wanna do is get my gelcoat/paint down and remember something I wanted to do...

Pics coming soon!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
It's official! Gelcoat is under way. I got two coats in all the predetermined areas except the bilge (ran out of standing room). Things are looking awesome with the gelcoat.

Also got my duratec in the mail today so tomorrow the plan is to get the second coat on the bilge and while that's kicking, I am going to try adding tint to the 3rd coat to tame down the bright white. I'm gonna add the duratec to the 3rd coat as well and that should wrap up the gelcoat..

Then it's on to paint and nonskid on the main deck and seat boxes.

Here's a couple shots
20190827_211815-800x600.jpgIMG_20190827_214109_723.jpg