New Member saying hello....with a couple Glastron V 153 questions.

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, Ive been lurking here for a couple of weeks while I start repairs on my new- to- me '72 V153 Futura. The boat is all there and in nice shape for its age except for the rotting transom, stringers and deck, but I knew going into it that it would be a project. I love the look of this little boat and plan to keep it as original looking as I can and use it for fishing and playing, the 85 Johnson is a '79 model and seems to run nice. I have the deck out and the cap off and am nearly done grinding and ready to set the new transom piece then work on replacing the 3 deck stringers. Here are my questions 1) I noticed that the keel stringer is a 1/4" higher than the 2 outer stringers and was wondering if this is normal? 2) Are there supposed to be bulkheads between the stringers at or under the cross-strips for the deck pieces to attach to? The deck was replaced once by someone who did a real hack job and I don't know if whats under the deck is original or not. There was some foam pieces along with a couple pieces of foam board, but just 1"x 2" cross pieces laying in the notches of the original stringers. Thanks for any info you can help me with, I'm sure I will have more questions and I will post a couple pics.

Degrath

Seaman
Hello, I am pretty new to this as well but a good friend of mine also has a Glastron v-156 and I have been doing research for him and his restoration. The following link is a video journal of a v156 transom and string restoration, you might find it helpful as it pertains a v156. There are 16 videos so far and they are pretty current. Hope they help

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I watched this whole video series and that's what inspired me to take this project on, that boat being an open bow is different than the V156 though, thanks for the response.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I cant speak to your model specifically, however, some folks have done what your describing in order to create a "crown" in the sole. Sort of like a street, causes the water to drain to the outside edges.

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I screwed up in the initial post heading, Its a V153 not a V156, I had just watched some 156 videos and had that on the brain. Thanks for the responses anyway they are helpful. I have been to the Classic Glastron site as well but I cant find a lot of info about a 153, I guess they aren't as popular with folks. I tried loading pics but they are too big, will try later.

Last edited:

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you are doing it on an iPhone I found that if you screenshot them then you can load the screenshot

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I've asked a mod to change the thread title, but only if you post pictures...:D

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The more I try to post pics of the boat the more tempted I am to smash my computer with a hammer......Im going out to the garage.

southkogs

Staff member
Changed the topic title for ya'. Also HERE is a tutorial on photos in order to prolong the life of your computer ;)

Welcome aboard :welcome:

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, its a project to replace all the lumber, but its a nifty little thing that I think is worth a rehab. Something about it turns me on....anybody know if it is supposed to have bulkheads between the stringers?.

Degrath

Seaman
Have you pulled the floor yet? Any wood under the floor should have been glassed in and evidence of any bulkheads might still be there.

Something like this
channels_zpsbm2xjbpf.jpg

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've subscribed love the glastrons good to see another one live longer. Currently redoing my transom stringers and floor in my 79 glastron gt150. Thread is "and it begins 79 glastron gt150" if you want to check it out