New Member saying hello....with a couple Glastron V 153 questions.

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I still have a few details to finish on her but the engine is now mounted and I fired it up Saturday morning, I must have gotten a little carried away with the fogging spray last fall because it took some coaxing to get it running, and it smoked liked a 6V71 Detroit on a cold January morning. But once it cleared its throat it settled in and ran nicely in the bucket, although the water got pretty oily from the exhaust. Will post more pics later.

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Strokin, nothing real fancy just 1/2" and 3/4' ply, a couple exterior gate hinges, locks and seat pedestal bases. the edges are covered with vinyl angle that I heated and bent to fit, then screwed them down, easy to work with and has a rounded corner that might be easier on the stubbed toes than aluminum angle. I will get a couple closeups for you next time cover is off.

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well Ive been hammering away at getting the old gal finished by Memorial Day, Yesterday the sun came out and I decided it was time to put it in the water. It didn't go the way I had planned, The launch went fine, but when I tried to take some pics of it in the water my phone camera wont work. Then I started the motor and let it warm up but it wont idle, it only starts with the warm up lever all the way forward and full choke, smells like its running rich and sputters and dies. Put it back on the trailer and went home with my tail between my legs, pulled the cover off and it looks wet down by the carb bottoms, new kits are ordered. ARGH.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Milkweed....Some times your the windshield, sometimes your the bug.... Dont get down, I took mine out in secret, to work out the issues you described.Before I made a big deal about the splash. Its a hell of a lot of work to bring one back, everyone runs the motor on the muffs in the driveway, they run like a champ, act like a pig under load.There is bound to be a few issues first time on the water.

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the pep talk, I'm not really down about it, had a couple good laughs with my buddy who came along for the "ride" so its all good. I got the top carb off today and the bowl gasket is hard and leaky, same with the carb mounting gasket. Going to clean them both up and try again with some new plugs as well. I pulled the battery from my phone and when it powered back up the camera works so theres that.....

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We put her in Lake Michigan this morning, with the carbs rebuilt and synched, fresh gas and a small prayer we idled out of the harbor and once clear of the breakwall I opened it up. The engine ran great and it zipped across the calm water nicely, Speedo said top speed was 35 mph and it felt a little bow heavy as it topped out so I might raise the trim one hole and see how it does, but I'm very happy with it. I'm not sure how accurate the speedo is either so a test run with a GPS is in order. We spent about an hour cruising around at various speeds just to burn some gas and stopped for a bit to take in the view, I guess I'm officially SPLASHED because I cant stop giggling. Here are some pics.

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How she looks now, I might paint it in the future but for now she looks good for 45 years old. I want to thank everyone on this Forum for the advice and posting all the info on here, This is my first boat and would have never been able to do it without you, I will try to pay it forward with others when I can. I plan to enjoy this little boat as much as possible so I don't get tempted into another boat project........but I'm kinda hooked to the itch.

Last edited:

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Congratulations on THE OFFICIAL SPLASH! My work is blocking the pics, so I can't see them now, but am looking forward to this evening! Glad you had a great time!

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys, I did adjust the trim up 1 hole, I was looking at the first pics I posted and noticed how negative the trim was, and then went out and set the trailer height so it matched the angle how the boat sits in the water. Then looked at the motor again and seen it was off, I moved it up only 1 hole and it looks like the motor is now vertical, I will try it this way and maybe up 1 more hole to see which is better.

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Update for those interested, Been using the boat as much as possible and loving it, fishing the smaller lakes or just sitting out relaxing. Went to a memorial Birthday gathering a couple of weeks ago on Lower Nemahbin for a Family member who passed away. We got some compliments from folks on how nice the old boat looks, some couldn't believe its 45 years old. I did a GPS run to check the speedo and it said 36 while GPS said 40, it felt like 80 and was skipping along smoothly. What a blast!