3.0L to 4.3L mtr mounts and 25 yo transom

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Howdy everyone. I am new to the boat modding side of the forum, and new to fiberglassing things like motor mounts into my boat.

Here's the story: I have a 25 year old runabout that I lucked out when I bought, since I didn't know squat about how to prepurchase exam a boat. At least I lake tested it :^) And I did end up buying an SEI outdrive for it by the second year. Took me that long to come to the conclusion that the original one was not quite what the seller led me to believe.

Here I am several years later having made a choice - rebuild the 3.0L that is getting tired, or drop in the 4.3L and Alpha1 Gen2 outdrive that I bought in a donor boat for a project boat that never came to be. I choose the later as it is hard, like most boaters, to pass up popping in almost 100 more HP.

I have some needful questions for those with experience in this. While I have built or repaired all sorts of things with fiberglass, I haven't built motor mounts nor reconditioned a 25 yo transom to handle a jump from 130 to 225 HP. I have somewhat a plan, but would surely accept adjustments where deemed an improvement.

1) I plan to build up the motor mounts as a laminate, basically 5.5 inches wide by 4.25 tall. The stringers are a full 4.25 inch below what is needed for the V6 mounts. My intention is to laminate 3/4 ACX plywood strips, and one 1/4 in ply strip, with epoxy based laminating resin in a PB mixture using a little bit of 1/4 in chopped strand and cabosil to thicken. Then use the same PB mix to attach to the stringers. End result is about 3/4 in above floor level, but still fits inside the dog house engine cover. The stringers also get 1.5 inch width added under the new mounts, built the same way with 2 layers of 3/4 inch laminated together and PB'd to the side of the stringers and to the hull at the bottom. The motor mount bolts will basically be directly above the current stringer inside edge, but using 4in lag bolts would not reach or attach to existing stringers.

Plan is to use the same epoxy resin to lay in CSM layers over the mounts to tie into the stringers. 3 layers when finished. 4.5 inch lag bolts, 4 in into the wood, .5 in the liquid motor mounts on top, using 5200 to seal the bolts. If I use laminating resin to build my mounts and layer the CSM do I need to top it all off with a waxed resin?

2) For me what is beyond any personal experience is the 25 yo transom. It is in pretty awesome shape (no credit to me and my shoddy pre-purchase exam years back). Previous owners obviously never once let it stay wet. And I park it indoors always. Core samples show a bit of dark wood down around the last inch or so above the hull. The rest of the transom is dry and clean, like new. (first noticed the dark wet wood when installing trim tabs) This seems totally amazing as Bluewater doesn't glass the transom over on the inside. It looks to have been painted and left be. Even the transom plate to gimbal housing bolts came out with minimal rust. They were all in reusable condition.

Question here is, what to treat the transom with? The paint is thin, almost like a stain. Do I drill out the transom plate bolt holes and epoxy them before installing the Gen2 plate and gimbal housing? Do I rseal the whole transom with resin? Sand 'er off and lay in a layer of CSM, which seems excessive? I don't have a clue how to make it last another 20 years other than keeping it dry.

Thanks for any thoughts. Pictures are easy as I move forward. I'll post in a couple days.

Rick

alldodge

Staff member
Would use BC plywood and not ACX, cost a bit more, readily available and doesn't have the voids in the plys.
Epoxy resin and CSM but built thickness using 1708 for strength.

Don't like lag bolts, would use thru bolts, maybe with aluminum angle plate. Using thru bolts then install engine mounts on the plate with slots in the plate to allow some side movement for ease of installation

If you have rot this needs to be cut out. Would not suggest stopping it with antifreeze because you mentioned having it where trim tabs are being installed.

Inspect the transom bolt holes real close, mine looked fine but after noticing one spot turned into a large job. Water is came in from somewhere, so anyplace there is a hole, could be the spot. I like epoxy paint to cover everything when complete prior to transom plate install.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
All makes sense. I live in the sticks, so I have to find a good source for the 1708. I do have both CSM and cloth, worst case I layer it.

I wonder about figuring out the transom. The part of the transom I can get to is all good. The place where I predrilled for trim tabs and found dark wood is under flooring inside foam. Not a lot of transom under the floor, but definitely work looking at. Ugh.

Thanks for the help. Typical of every post, it isn't ever as easy as it first seems.

Rick

alldodge

Staff member
USComposites is where I've been getting my stuff, but there are others

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Are you using Epoxy or Poly?? If Epoxy... you don't use CSM OR 1708 You just use fabric. I'd recommend 2-3 layers of 8.5 oz biax to build up bulk on the MM's. The lag bolts will work if you predrill and then use 3M 5200 to set em with. If, Big If, the only affected area of the transom is the bottom 1" or so and none of the Keyhole area is affected then you could just cut out the affected area and glue and glass that piece back in and be done with it. That part of the transom carries the least amount of load of all. Just make absolutely certain the area around the outdrive is 100% perfect!!! If not then I'd strongly recommend replacing the entire thing. Posting Pics of your project always makes it easier for us to help you and will allow us to give much better and more precise answers to your questions.;)

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Are you using Epoxy or Poly?? If Epoxy... you don't use CSM OR 1708 You just use fabric. I'd recommend 2-3 layers of 8.5 oz biax to build up bulk on the MM's. ....snip....... Posting Pics of your project always makes it easier for us to help you and will allow us to give much better and more precise answers to your questions.;)

Thanks for the reply. I think I want to use epoxy for greater strength and adhesion. I had always used poly for past jobs, but those weren't structural additions or something like motor mounts which makes me want best interface strength. Mostly repairs to fiberglass horse/box trailers, commercial vehicle hoods, that kind of thing. I really appreciate the guidance on what is best for this job.

I'm over in the the next town over today hanging at the hospital taking EMT call. I'll get some pics posted manana and drill a couple more test holes near the bottom end of the cutout.

Thanks again!

Rick

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I've used both and for what you're doing I really think you cold use poly with no issues. But...as you say, Epoxy is stronger and a better adhesive so if you wanna use it and pay the extra expense then by all means go for it. By the time you pay the extra shipping costs for the poly resin it's all about the same in the long run!!!!:D:eek:;) I just hate having to wait so dad gum long for the epoxy to set up and cure especially when the temps are a bit cooler.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
you don't use CSM OR 1708 You just use fabric

Agree you have a lot more experience then me, but I don't agree that you do not use 1708 or CSM with epoxy. There is no mention of not using this on any of the sites I've been to. I used it with epoxy on my cruiser build, along without using peanut butter, I am using it with my 16 foot rebuild. A 17 oz cloth compared to 8.5 oz cloth is heavier and just biaxel in stead of CSM and biaxel combo may be a better way to go, I could go with that.

I don't see any way that lag bolts are better then thru bolts

jbcurt00

Staff member
Would use BC plywood and not ACX, cost a bit more, readily available and doesn't have the voids in the plys.
Epoxy resin and CSM but built thickness using 1708 for strength.

Isn't BC ply a grade below ACX, not better?

alldodge

Staff member
Isn't BC ply a grade below ACX, not better?

Not to my understanding, I'm seeing A one side, C other side and X in the middle (X lots of voids)
Marine in AB and all use the same exterior glue

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not to my understanding, I'm seeing A one side, C other side and X in the middle (X lots of voids)
Marine in AB and all use the same exterior glue

ACX:

A faced 1 side
B faced 1 side
X exterior grade adhesives (that IIRC is also boil proof)

minimal voids, but not void FREE? Nope.

Marine AB or marine BC would be different entirely and would be better choices, if you can get them. Shipping make it cost prohibitive for me to buy marine. Auraco is popular if you can find it, Menards used to stock it. And some of the Canadian Starcraft owners buy really nice, high number of laminations/plys Baltic Birch made w/ exterior glue. I've not found it available anywhere in the US. Our Baltic Birch is an interior, cabinet grade plywood, not suitable for use in a boat.

alldodge

Staff member
How ever it works out we may both suffer from CRS, but with that Lowes and Home Depot have B/C plywood in stock. I have found the HD has better grade of B/C then Lowes

Exterior grade

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
AD,

ondarvr is our forum expert on resin. He has over 40 years experience as a Manufacturer's rep in the Epoxy and Polyester business. I respect his advice and information greatly and have learned a lot from him. I am NOT speaking for him but I believe my statements closely reflect what he has stated here on the forum.

1708 has CSM stitched to 17oz biaxial fabric. CSM is basically useless with epoxy because epoxy has NO styrene in it. CSM is used with Polyester Resin which does contain styrene. Polyester resin has no binders. Styrene breaks down the CSM fibers and thus basically "Melts" them and creates a mix that binds the two together and makes the mix less prone to breaking and fracturing. Epoxy contains binders in its chemical mix and therefore requires nothing to keep it from becoming brittle once it comes to a full cure. The additional layers of biaxial cloth adds to the strength of the mix just like it does with the poly. Since Epoxy is stronger due to its chemical make up using multiple layers adds to it's strength thus two layers of 8.5 oz fabric is essentially stronger than one layer of 17 oz. CSM can be used and is used by fabricators of epoxy but IMHO it only ads bulk and adds NO strength to the mix since its threads are loosely woven. I feel it just absorbs resin and is a waste. I'd rather use additional layers of fabric to add strength instead of wasting valuable epoxy on CSM that adds little to nothing to the structure.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
No Title

WAY over my limited experience! I am most happy to follow advice. Thanks! So far all I found in biaxial is 17 oz over mat. I'll keep hunting.

Got home and had to get the drll out and get some pics. Pics are loaded into the forum and have descriptions on them. Basically all the wood from halfway up the transom to the bottom is dark. So far none of it has been at all wet or mushy. Now we are beyond my knowledge base. What constitutes rotten wood?

Attachments

• photo232552.jpg
    photo232552.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo232553.jpg
    photo232553.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo232554.jpg
    photo232554.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo232555.jpg
    photo232555.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo232556.jpg
    photo232556.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 3

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Dark wood shavings would make me concerned... especially since it's lower on the transom where you would expect rot.

omc_parted

Seaman
Bottom line, is the transom soft at all? Also, stab the inside of the transom as well. Went thru the same wishful thinking on my transom. Was solid in some places, then the screwdriver slid right thru the epoxy in others. The darkness of the wood is not normal. Mine was 30 yrs old. The epoxy hid lots of problems. Only after i ground it all out did I find the extent of the problem. Looks fine until you get 1/8 inch into it :)

Inspect, inspect, inspect, and then inspect again (per Friscoboater) :)

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Well, no epoxy covering the wood. Not even epoxy paint. I wiped it down with lacquer thinner and the paint started melting off on my rag. Enamel is my guess.

No actually wet wood yet - but dark means it was wet at some point. Next step, 1 inch hole saw and pry out a chunk. I'll get to the bottom of it yet. Pictures in a little bit.

Rick

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Based on what the pics are showing, my best guess is it needs replacing...but I'm not on site sooo...it's just a guess!!!:eek: It's still you're call!!!! The Holes saw IS a Great idea. You will know for sure then and if it's dry you can plug it back in and epoxy it.;)