Stupid Whale Tricks :-O

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stupid Whale Tricks :-O

If this is the video of the whale hitting the sail boat. I think the captain should be charged. When something like that happens you don't laugh about it and drive away!

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get real! The boat owner had every right to be there and was just whale watching. It was a sailboat, and had he had no reaction time to move it. The big question is what the insurance company is going to do with the boat owner's claim!

a70eliminator

Captain

If this is the video of the whale hitting the sail boat. I think the captain should be charged. When something like that happens you don't laugh about it and drive away!

What else should he have done, crack open a tall one and sit there it that "good spot" and wait for the next one?

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ummm, I think Thajeffski was referring to the boat that shot the video. If they didn't stop and render aid they should be charged. Could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

shaneb0422

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What else should he have done, crack open a tall one and sit there it that "good spot" and wait for the next one?
Lol...literal lol.
Ummm, I think Thajeffski was referring to the boat that shot the video. If they didn't stop and render aid they should be charged. Could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Interesting, maybe you are right, and it was only pictues.
Also, there were several boats around it appears when looking at the picture...so it is very possible their aid was not needed, and no one was hurt.

a70eliminator

Captain

On the news they were saying that advancing within a certain range of a whale is prohibited, they said this was well known whale watching area and several other boats were there too.
The captain of the whale damaged boat is actually facing charges last I heard.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

On the news they were saying that advancing within a certain range of a whale is prohibited, they said this was well known whale watching area and several other boats were there too.
The captain of the whale damaged boat is actually facing charges last I heard.

that is what I heard too- I just came from an Alaskan tour boat and saw some whales-they said you have to keep you distance-not to chase whales.But if they swim up to you it is ok.

a70eliminator

Captain

The captain and his wife seemed like nice people during the interview and have more respect for the whales than anyone there, it's against forum rules to get political so I'll just leave it alone.

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

There was a local guy killed by a Gray Whale back 8 years ago or so while coming back from fishing. The whale jumped and hit his boat or the boat more likely ran into the flying whale. He was knocked out and thrown over board and drown. The rest of the guys on board were okay.

CNN Story:
Fisherman Killed After Whale Lands on Boat

MORRO BAY, California 9-03-02 A California fisherman was killed after a large whale unexpectedly breached over his boat, smashing into the deck and hurling him into the water, a Coast Guard official said on Tuesday.

Chief Michael Saindon of the Morro Bay Coast Guard Station said the body of Jerry Tibbs, A 51-year-old restaurant owner from Bakersfield, California, was recovered Monday, more than 12 hours after the accident.

"I've had countless calls where boats hit whales, but this is the first time I've ever had a whale breach and hit a boat," Saindon said. "They were just two big things in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Tibbs, the owner of Mr. Tibb's Ribbs in Bakersfield, and several companions were on a tuna fishing trip several miles offshore Sunday when the whale breached with a spectacular leap out of the water right over their boat, a 22-foot motor vessel named the "BBQ."

Saindon said the survivors reported that the whale crash landed onto the boat deck, damaging the pilot house and throwing Tibbs into the water.

There were no other reported injuries.

"The superstructure crushed and there was damage to the rails and the transom was damaged. The whale came up out of the water, landed on the superstructure, and slid back off into the water," Saindon said. "We found a lot of whale skin on the boat."

The Coast Guard, aided by the Morro Bay Harbor Patrol and aircraft from the California Highway Patrol, mounted an extensive search in the area but was hampered by heavy fog. After about 17 hours, Tibbs' body was finally located and brought back to Port San Luis, Saindon said.

Saindon said the survivors were not able to identify the type of whale, which they described as "very large." Gray whales and humpback whales are often sighted off the central California coast.

"Both gray whales and humpback whales are known to breach quite frequently," said Steven Webster, senior marine biologist at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, California.

"You can't talk to a whale, so we don't know why they do it. It's thought that in some instances, they are just having fun, while breaching. Crashing and tail snapping is sometimes one male either trying to impress a nearby female, or telling the other males to clear off."

Cnn.com

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's more damage to whales due to the use of sonar than anything else out there. Since sound is the whales strongest sense, it is no wonder that many beach themselves.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

So am i the only one that seem suspicious about that? First of all, what are the odds of having a camera pointed right at the sailboat when the whale breaches. And the bigger issue I have is that the damage doesn't seem at all consistent with 50 tons of whale jumping onto your relatively small sailboat.

(wild guess as to the weight, any whale experts?)

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

So am i the only one that seem suspicious about that? First of all, what are the odds of having a camera pointed right at the sailboat when the whale breaches. And the bigger issue I have is that the damage doesn't seem at all consistent with 50 tons of whale jumping onto your relatively small sailboat.

(wild guess as to the weight, any whale experts?)

I'm with you on this one. I tried to grab the image via a couple of other sources and it looks to be a doctored image. The pixels are not in line with each other as they would be if it was one image. i.e. It's a fake...maybe.

Regarding getting close to whales.....about 10 years ago I took my daughters on a whale watching trip in a 20' Zodiac in the St. Lawrence River just out past Tadoussac, Quebec, and the whales came right up to the side of the boat as though they were waiting for something. When they breached it was far away from any of the many boats doing what we were, so I think they are quite aware of what is surrounding them.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sorry guys it's NOT fake, there's a video out of the same thing.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Sorry guys it's NOT fake, there's a video out of the same thing.

any links to a video for this specific incident? There are news reports all over the place with the same photos, haven't seen a single video yet...