boat dock

cjprof

Recruit
Has anyone built a stationary dock using the screw in type poles into a muddy lake bottom? Do they work?

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: boat dock

I have not used the screw type, but I have driven 2 inch pipe into the lake bottom. What I found was that you need to anchor the dock to a seawall or it shakes alot.

When I redid the dock, I used 5 gallon buckets filled half full of concrete. On our lake the buckets sink about 3/4 of the way into the muck. The water is about 5 feet deep.

cjprof

Recruit

Thanks Mike. Do you recall how far you could drive the pipe before you could no longer drive them?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have used 6 inch pvc pipe, and a jet pump. jetted the pvc down, then inserted some rebar, and filled with concrete.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

You jet with a water pump. Typically a two, three, or four inch gas powered water pump is what would be used. Just drop the suction side hose in the lake, connect the output hose to the pipe you want jetted in and go to work.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

also, drill you holes for thru bolts, before concrete, as concrete gets to the holes, insert the bolt. besure to coat the bolt in grease, or some other protection. use a small pea gravel concrete mix, easier to get packed.