Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

Got the leak test done this afternoon, and only had a few rivets that leaked very slowly. I'm not going to tighten them i'm just going to use the gluvit. Got the new transom board cut, glued and screwed. It was a tight fit. I'll do a little sanding and shaping as i had to cut it from a cardboard pattern i cut from the old rotted transom. I'll slip it in and predrill my drain holes, bolt holes and the mounting holes. I opted to use liguid nail (exterior) and smooth it out with a trowel for maxium surface adhesion.

I will order my epoxy in the morning and pickup some more MEK. The 90 plus weather didn't let the MEK last very long. I only have a little glue left and i'll get her cleaned up for the Gluvit.

I have to make up my mind on floatation as well. I need to find some blue or pink board or a source on about 75 noodles. My lowes did not stock it for some reason.

that looks alot like cedar on the shelf :) gee, too have that just sitting around you must be rich. ;) just kidding.

keep up the work, looks good

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hey EZ, did you just tape out your aluminum trim on the top side or did you remove it before painting.

I taped it. My boat had already been repainted before and the trim was obviously only taped off. So there wasn't much point to trying to protect it further.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

that looks alot like cedar on the shelf :) gee, too have that just sitting around you must be rich. ;) just kidding.

keep up the work, looks good

Yeah that's cedar. It is compliments of a neighbor from Katrina as she unleashed her fury on us. I also wound up with a little cherry. I have built a bed with drawers underneith for my son, a dining table with a combination of the two woods and the helm in the starchief. I have my dining chairs cut out for the most part, but they have been put on hold while we work on boats:D

Won't get much done this week, but enjoying what we have accomplished.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I taped it. My boat had already been repainted before and the trim was obviously only taped off. So there wasn't much point to trying to protect it further.

Thanks, that's what i will proabably do as it seems that it would not be worthwhile all said and done.

I've got to ge my gluvit done, and flip her over. The bottom has second coat over the original paint that did not stick well, but no signs of corroision or metal interaction so we're all good.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah that's cedar. It is compliments of a neighbor from Katrina as she unleashed her fury on us. I also wound up with a little cherry. I have built a bed with drawers underneith for my son, a dining table with a combination of the two woods and the helm in the starchief. I have my dining chairs cut out for the most part, but they have been put on hold while we work on boats:D

Won't get much done this week, but enjoying what we have accomplished.

at the price of cedar now, use every little piece you can get out of that!

roughly $2.00 a board foot for what i see you have. :eek: im still trying to figure out how people can afford a cedar log home.....or even cedar siding, or railing for that matter.
i could buy a really nice finished boat here for what they spend on a 12x40 deck with railing. :/

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

at the price of cedar now, use every little piece you can get out of that!

roughly $2.00 a board foot for what i see you have. :eek: im still trying to figure out how people can afford a cedar log home.....or even cedar siding, or railing for that matter.
i could buy a really nice finished boat here for what they spend on a 12x40 deck with railing. :/

I really havn't priced any lately. I didn't know it was that much. There are two cedar logs in my hunting club that would really be worth retrieving at that price. I had considered using it to floor the starchief, but glad i didn't. I will most likely use the cedar for the dashboard and the board at the bow of my SS. I'll just need to get some urethane that will hold up to the UV really good.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

I'll just need to get some urethane that will hold up to the UV really good.

i agree it would look good, but......theres not a urethane that we have found that will hold up to cedar. theres too much oil in the cedar, even after being kiln dried. i would use a nice dry hardwood instead.

i was going to use cedar as stringers in my 69 (since i work with it, its readily available) but i would have needed to use atleast 2x material to equal the strength of the 1" mush, whatever it was :/.. and it splits like crazy!!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

i agree it would look good, but......theres not a urethane that we have found that will hold up to cedar. theres too much oil in the cedar, even after being kiln dried. i would use a nice dry hardwood instead.

i was going to use cedar as stringers in my 69 (since i work with it, its readily available) but i would have needed to use atleast 2x material to equal the strength of the 1" mush, whatever it was :/.. and it splits like crazy!!

The tech dude at US Composites told me i could use the epoxy resin on it and seal it with some urethane for the UV protection as the epoxy is not UV resistant. What are your thoughts there???

D

DJ

Got the leak test done this afternoon, and only had a few rivets that leaked very slowly. I'm not going to tighten them i'm just going to use the gluvit. Got the new transom board cut, glued and screwed. It was a tight fit. I'll do a little sanding and shaping as i had to cut it from a cardboard pattern i cut from the old rotted transom. I'll slip it in and predrill my drain holes, bolt holes and the mounting holes. I opted to use liguid nail (exterior) and smooth it out with a trowel for maxium surface adhesion.

I will order my epoxy in the morning and pickup some more MEK. The 90 plus weather didn't let the MEK last very long. I only have a little glue left and i'll get her cleaned up for the Gluvit.

I have to make up my mind on floatation as well. I need to find some blue or pink board or a source on about 75 noodles. My lowes did not stock it for some reason.

I like all of your clamps. The last time I bonded a transom together, I just parked the car on it. Talk about Hillbilly.:redface:

sprintst

Commander

Nice transom work. You'll be back on the water in no time.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

The tech dude at US Composites told me i could use the epoxy resin on it and seal it with some urethane for the UV protection as the epoxy is not UV resistant. What are your thoughts there???

i have not yet worked with epoxy.....does it cure clear???? the only reason i would use cedar is for the looks. im assuming thats what your after?

i have encased cedar in poly with no problems, so epoxy would be better. but again its no good in the sun....
what urethane are you refering to? helmans or such polyurethane for wood? or automotive urethane clear coat?

a good auto clear coat would provide the best look and protection if you epoxy it first.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Picked up a few items at Bass Pro today for the boat. I still have many more to get including paint. I was going to West Marine in our capital, but they were out of buisness. I stopped at an automotive paint supplier's place and they reccommended POR 15's FlexCoat over the Easypoxy. Has anyone had any experience with that? The advantage is that they told me there was a store about 20 minutes from here that i can get the POR through?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Is the POR a clear coat?

Ezmobee used a clear coat on his Jupiter since the paint was metallic. I am going to look into it just to protect the paint even if it's not metallic.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the POR a clear coat?

Ezmobee used a clear coat on his Jupiter since the paint was metallic. I am going to look into it just to protect the paint even if it's not metallic.

No, it is a one coat system. I did notice on Jamestown Dist they have a video where they wet sand and buff the easypoxy after they finishe painiting. Is that necessary???

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Don't use Rusto's clear. It didn't hold up.

Huron Angler

Admiral

No, it is a one coat system. I did notice on Jamestown Dist they have a video where they wet sand and buff the easypoxy after they finishe painiting. Is that necessary???

Brad I was confused...when you said "over the Easypoxy" I took it to mean a top clear coat over the paint.

I see that you meant it was recommended "over" the Easypoxy LOL.

I don't think EZ wetsanded the easypoxy, he just did one coat I believe.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Brad I was confused...when you said "over the Easypoxy" I took it to mean a top clear coat over the paint.

I see that you meant it was recommended "over" the Easypoxy LOL.

I don't think EZ wetsanded the easypoxy, he just did one coat I believe.

Hey, that's alright. My forte is not communication. I am not going to get much done over the next few days. Got my rivets, but one is the wrong ones. The flanges are huge, but i guess i could use them anyway.

I found a great web sight for demoing any paint scheme you might want to try. It is the bass cat website where you can design a boat. It is pretty neat.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Scrubbed, scrubbed and scrubbed some more with purple power trying to get the floor ready for gluvit. I have fairly well finished all of the MEK work to get the glue out. I may have to remove my stringers (one of them has half of the rivets broken anyway as the floor was used in a rotten condition) to get the rivets cleaned like they need to be.

This boat had set in the edge of a Missisippi Delta soybean field for a few years and apparently a lot of dust settled in her. The "Limber" holes were packed and the ribs were full of silty dirt. I got them flushed our after about 2 hours. I also found some pitting (ionization) staring midway and running to the bow where it had been sitting down hill with standing water all of that time. It's not too bad, but should i filll those voids with something:confused:

Hope to get more done monday!!!!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the gluv-it done today. The pot-life is supposed to be 90 min, but at 90 degrees it began to activate at about 45 minutes forcing me to do the last half very fast.

Spray painted the gunwalls with the self-etching primer.

Flipped her over and set her on the garage floor. I don't have EZ's casters so I'm a little handy capped there.

Attachments

• BottomsUp.JPG
    BottomsUp.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 0