Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

I took the Merc out for the first time. It ran like a scalded dog. I CAN NOT BELIEVE i left the GPS at home, but i did. the 21 pitch prop jumps out of the hole great and runs on the top end well. Without a tach i don't know if i was maxed out. i was a little conservative with the throttle. I would guess we hit the 45mph mark. I've got to adjust the throttle cable a bit as idle is too low. It idles rough running only on two anyway, but needs a bump up.

The one thing that did scare me was turning the boat with the motor trimmed down. my son was sitting on the starboard side with his arm propped on the side. My other son fell off the tube and i made a hard turn and it banked so deep it put his arm under water and it appeared that i could have turned it over. I was still trying to play with how it functioned. I trimmed it up a pretty good bit and the next time it gave me some "slide" in the rear and felt much better than the banking. I never did get my wife to run so i could check out the position of the motor in the water at WOT. Tach should be here this week. Next time i'm taking GPS and camera.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

View attachment 112121Hey Got my Safeguard cover in two days ago. Put it on that day. It looks great. Had some rain yesterday and went out to check it and all looked good. This mornign was a different story. the bow clip pulled out and made a pond in the fron fo the boat with 300 gallons of water. it caused the cover to rip all the way across the bow seam and punched holes in the cover at winshield contact points even though they were shielded with cardboard. I tried to figure out what happened and discovered a flawed clip. it looked like it did not mold properly. it pulled loose under heavy rain and allowed a pond to form and you know the rest of the story. I emailed safe guard and i'm waiting on a reply. They are really good covers, but had one bad clip. Sooooo, if you get one make sure all clips are good.

Triton II

Commander

Good news on the splash Brad. I use a blown up car inner tube in the anchor well to hold the cover up and ensure you don't get the dreaded "bow pool". Even if a clip lets go, the tube stops the cover sinking into the anchor well or between the bow rails. I also run a rolled up towel along the windscreen rail to stop the pop stud bases damaging the cover.

TII

sprintst

Commander

Nice tip with the inner tube. That's exactly what I need.

Good to hear you got her out on the water and she runs as expected.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

BEEN OUT OF THE LOOP FOR QUITE A WHILE- been in school working on a masters and tinkering with two different diesel conversions of some ford trucks. Anyway, my boat has sat so long the "new" cover has faded terribly. I've got the tach i ordered over a year ago, but havn't gotten the tach harness that plugs into the control box yet. I've looked up what i could on line and have two different numbers. Any suggestions on the best place to locate the right tach harness?

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Needing Help with a Mercury serial number. I have a mercury 115 (1991) with serial number is OD076862. Everyone is telling me that this is an invalid serial number. Any help? Also, no matter how many times i've gone in to change my avatar, it reverts back to the old picture you see now.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Needing Help with a Mercury serial number. I have a mercury 115 (1991) with serial number is OD076862. Everyone is telling me that this is an invalid serial number. Any help? Also, no matter how many times i've gone in to change my avatar, it reverts back to the old picture you see now.

You might look thru here & see if you can find it, during a quick scan I didn't, but didn't rule it out either...

If you're POSITIVE it's OD076862 an 'O' & a 'D' then 1 zero

and not OO076862 2 'O's & then 1 zero

or possibly 00076862 3 zeros, no 'O's

I had to step away for a minute & spent some more time:

This seems likely:

1151991ELPTOD000750 - D081999
Looks like you've got 1 too many zero's or an extra zero or 'O' at the front, before the 'D', so note the comments at the top of the page from Max: If it's a zero in front of the serial #, it's a placeholder for the Mercury inventory/parts software, and should be ignored. So you ser# is possibly D076862, which fits the ELPTO 115hp 1991 from the chart.

If it is in fact an 'O' not a zero, maybe a Overbore/Overhauled/remanufactured engine?????

Hope some of that ^^^ helps. If you haven't yet, you might post a thread in the mercury motor forum. And put a link to that thread here, so that way you've got as many people as possible helping out....

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

turned out to be a 0D0 zero D zero

jbcurt00

Staff member

:cool: Glad you got it figured out

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Guys, Been out of the loop for a while. Let's see what has happened since my last post... Shoulder surgery, finished my masters and chasing 3 kids playing basketball (all the way to win state championship btw) and one camping trip. I took the old SS out for a 3 day camping trip. It had sat for a year. WE fished a while and then started kneeboarding/tubing. It was drinking the fuel. It was sucking it away like the 73 johnson i once had. I know my kids have grown, but i didn't think it was that bad. Any idea what might be going on? It seems to have doubled its consumption over past experiences. Hate to be one of those guys who only drops in for trouble, but i've been building an 03 F150 with a 3.9 Cummins and all of my forum time has been on those forums. Any help appreciated.

jbcurt00

Staff member

A Merc 115 probably is thirsty: as the kids are older, you're probably ON the throttle more often, running closer to WOT more often, running place to place & towing the tubes. And every time they're on the tube they're probably on for longer runs every time. And every time you're out in the boat you're out longer.

W/ little ones you were probably slowly throttling up to get on plane, and rarely running WOT.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

A Merc 115 probably is thirsty: as the kids are older, you're probably ON the throttle more often, running closer to WOT more often, running place to place & towing the tubes. And every time they're on the tube they're probably on for longer runs every time. And every time you're out in the boat you're out longer.

W/ little ones you were probably slowly throttling up to get on plane, and rarely running WOT.

Could be. My youngest son is now 6'1-1" and 240 and my oldest is the same but about 80lbs lighter But my brother in law's 120 force didn't burn as much in his heavy bayliner????

jbcurt00

Staff member

What year 120Force? Don't call 'em Tower of Power because they sip gas ;)

Yeah, 'older' kids :facepalm: sounds more like 25% of a defensive line :rolleyes:

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

What year 120Force? Don't call 'em Tower of Power because they sip gas ;)

Yeah, 'older' kids :facepalm: sounds more like 25% of a defensive line :rolleyes:

Not sure on the bayliner. It is made a bit different from mine, but I would suspect it is a late 90's model.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good to be back on this forum. the last few years have been tied up on diesel forum with those kind of projects and building vehicles for my boys. Now my daughter turns 15 next week. IT'll be fun getting her a ride together.

Well, kinda back at it again. I left the boat in the weather too long and the vinyl wrapped boards up front rotted terrbily. I had coated thoroughly with a "thick" 15 year exterior latex (3 heavy coats), but the ply wood just didn't hold up. I'm going back with the same epoxied board i put in the floor and i'm gonna rraptor liner it as well. I've had several issues with the motor's electronics but the new switch box seems to have resolved the issue. NOW, i've got to test the rectifier and Voltage regulator to see if they are what killed the switch box. Local boat shop said the ohm test was not a good way to test them and that it would "lie" to you. For what they wanted to test it all out i could replace it with new sierra parts. I've got to get it all together for a long haul to branson, mo for trout fishing in early august. Any suggestions on the electronics appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome back, brobrad.

Good to see you getting the SS ready for your daughter. She'll enjoy time on the water with dear, old Dad. :joyous:

On the motor stuff, it might be better to post in the motor forum. You have a Merc, right?

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome back, brobrad.

Good to see you getting the SS ready for your daughter. She'll enjoy time on the water with dear, old Dad. :joyous:

On the motor stuff, it might be better to post in the motor forum. You have a Merc, right?

Yes, I'll give it a look . Thanks

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mannnnnnnn, when I look back to the pics of my first splash in the restored boat 10 years ago this month, it seems like forever ago. Its has done A LOT of fishing and tubing/knee boarding since then. We have had so very much fun with it. Only hiccup was the vinyl wrapped plywood i had to replace. Oh yeah, I cratered the foot on my 1991 merc 115 in Branson trout fishing. I picked up a whole motor on the cheap and got her going again. NOW, my transom has rotted out at the splash well. I've got to get it torn our and redo that. My UV resistant coating pealed and the sun was not my friend. It's only rotten in a line across the back, but enough to compromise the integrity. I am going back with an aluminum plate or coosa board. Still working on it....