Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

Got up early yesterday, finished sanding the trailer. I put on the primer and finish coat of Easpoxy just in time for a rain. Did i mention i was painting outside:mad: I covered it with my EZUP tent and a tarp, but the "splash" made little circles in the paint. I'll have to sand a little and try again:eek:

badMonkey

Seaman Apprentice

wow, that finish looks great!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow, that finish looks great!

Yeah, the easypoxy is pretty amazing. It is best somwhere in the 70's as far as temp. The painting i did in the cool of the morning was better than the paint when it was 100 outside here in south MS.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Easypoxy is amazing as far as application and results go. However, I am finding it is fairly terrible as far as durability. Once you hit the water be very careful around your trailer and docks. Get yourself plenty of bumpers!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Easypoxy is amazing as far as application and results go. However, I am finding it is fairly terrible as far as durability. Once you hit the water be very careful around your trailer and docks. Get yourself plenty of bumpers!

Have you asked Pettit about that problem? I have found their direct techincal line to be very helpful. They answer questions fairly freely. They did tell me the topcoat paint you and i put on the bottom will start coming off after 48 continuous hours in the water:eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well good. After my week slipped at the shore this year that out to take the rest of the crap off my bottom. :mad:

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Have you asked Pettit about that problem? I have found their direct techincal line to be very helpful. They answer questions fairly freely. They did tell me the topcoat paint you and i put on the bottom will start coming off after 48 continuous hours in the water:eek:

How can someone market a marine paint that does that?

What did SC do then or now for painting their hulls?

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well good. After my week slipped at the shore this year that out to take the rest of the crap off my bottom. :mad:

The problem is that the paint we both used is a "topside" paint. I really don't want to have to deal with an ablative paint to go over it. That stuff looks terrible and i think you have to redo it almost on a yearly basis. :confused:

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe I'm missing something very obvious, but my profile picture for some reason switched back to my old Starchief rather than my SS. I go to my profile and it shows the SS as my profile pic. What am i missing.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

A couple of good friends and the family and we got her right side up. Got the trailer painted and the rollers and bunks adjusted. The bumper for the v at the bow is too short, but ill adjust that. Still not impressesed with the durability of the Easypoxy. The least little ding or bump will cause the paint to chip deeply. Anyway, got to get the transom pre-drilled and the floor cut so i can get the epoxy on.

Attachments

• RightSideUp.JPG
    RightSideUp.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 0
  • RightSideUp2.JPG
    RightSideUp2.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 0

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Bummer on the paint as it looks good from here. Glad to see her right-side up!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the floor cut, and a couple of coats of US composites 635 on it. That stuff soaks in quick and has very low odor. I'm not sure how much is enough to seal the wood:confused:

I did drill the holes in my transom oversized wher i could fill them with resin to seal those as well. I have to put the reinforcement pieces on the bottom side so i can mount the seats later on. I've got a friend getting me wire to get everything wired up. the whole wiring harness had meleted down due to a shorted out bilge pump.

I'm looing for a ski locker door so i can build a Rod locer and have to get some flashing (got that from EZ) so i can block off the noodles.

Huron Angler

Admiral

That's a real bummer on the easypoxy...I'm lucky that I didn't pull the trigger on paint yet cause that's what I was going to get.

I've been very pleased with how my ski locker turned out, great for rod storage(I keep 6-7 in there) and the riveted aluminum keeps the noodles where I want them very well.

My limber holes have gotten clogged since stuff can get in there is the only downside I've found so far.

The boat looks great:)

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Flashing for noodle containment- IN
Noodles - IN
Floor- IN
Transom- IN
Splashwell and consoles primed with self-etching primer to receive first layer of topcoat tonight. I've also got the topside sanded and awaiting first coat of primer which again will be done tonight i hope.

The floor wasn't bad at all to rivet in, but i did make one mistake. About the time i riveted the second piece in, i relized i had not attached the extra support for the boat seats. I cut them, sealed them, but left them out. No big deal, i'm sure it will be fine. I have to put FG cloth and epoxy on the seems tonight and i hope to put the Rator Liner in tomorrow as well. That's if my glass work dries quick enough with the second coat.

I hope to post pics tonight.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hoping to start putting the puzzle together tomorrow. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• noodles.jpg
    noodles.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0
  • floorIn.JPG
    floorIn.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Raptorliner.JPG
    Raptorliner.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looking real good. Nice work.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Absolutely great progress.

Hey, I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering if you had gone to get the 16 ft jet?

Yeah, i've been at it pretty hard for about two weeks now. I just got back from a welders house a few miles up the road. He is going to fab a piece to saddle the knee brace that is broken. He hopes to get it done next week for me.

It felt pretty good pulling her down the road. i was pretty nervous and nearly got side swiped by a "PERSON" texting as they were driving. Would not have been good.

I'm cutting my front bow seating area out now and going to get vinyl for it tonight.

bananaboater

Ensign

Hey, I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering if you had gone to get the 16 ft jet?

No, did not make it over to Vicksburg that day I was south. I was mostly curious if it was a rare SC like an older Ski Champ. Then it might be of interest.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, did not make it over to Vicksburg that day I was south. I was mostly curious if it was a rare SC like an older Ski Champ. Then it might be of interest.

It was definately a ski/pleasure rig. It was old enough to have the cable steering. I may have a pic on my hard drive, but that computer got zapped by lightening. I'm trying to get it fixed up soon and i'll check it out. I remember the winshield haveing a crack and the paint being yellow. I even had a pic of the serial number. Ill see if i can find it.