Key switch diagram for a 1964 evinrude starflite 90s

I recently bought a really old boat with a 1964 evinrude starflite 90s. The guy that sold it to me swears it ran about 8 months ago, and he has no reason to lie cause I already gave him the money and live 1000 miles away from him. The starter was burnt up, so I had it rebuilt, the lower unit was rusted up so I replaced it with a rebuilt one, and the key switch was missing the key so I bought a new key switch. My question has two parts: first where can I get a keyswitch wiring diagram all the ones I have explain with the wrong color wires involved. And the second is: Why does the new lower unit have a larger gauge wire than the old one. Is it because its a hydroshift and the other is electric, I don't know what kind either of the lower units is

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Key switch diagram for a 1964 evinrude starflite 90s

A heavy brown wire with a fuseholder in it from ammeter Gen Terminal to key switch Bat terminal

A white wire goes to the key switch Start terminal

Four red wires, plus a red/white striped wire goes to the Key switch Ignition terminal.

Now, it gets confusing:
The original setup had a wire from the choke override switch to the key switch Start terminal, along with the white one....However,

The override switch may have been changed to a choke switch. In that case, the wire from it goes to the key switch Ignition terminal along with all those red ones.

The electric clutch lower units and the hydroelectric lower units are not interchangable. Hydro-electrics have the exhaust exiting through the hollow propeller hub.

Thank you so much you are the first sourse with the right color wires I have been able to find, but tell me how do I tell if my lower unit is hydro electric or electric. WIll the shaft be hollow where the propeller goes

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If it is a 1964 it is electric clutches. Hydro-electric wasn't even invented till 1968. Yours has a plain old regular propeller. Hydro-Electrics have a hollow hub propeller with a hole in the center that you could jam your fist into if it were not for the shaft being in there. So do a heck of a lot of newer motors that are not Hydro-electric.