need help with alternator

theblob

Banned
Re: need help with alternator

Alot of times you have to test wire from altanator and it will show 14v but at battery it wont show but 13v.you may want to test wire coming straight out of altnator.

ok chris so what your saying is basically to just remove the resistor and put nuts on the wires that are left except the red/white and black witch is ground I believe . and connect the red/white to the new alternator and black wire. but will my amp meter still work then? also so I take it as a yes that the alternator I ordered will work. sorry I just want to make sure I got everything right

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Alot of times you have to test wire from altanator and it will show 14v but at battery it wont show but 13v.you may want to test wire coming straight out of altnator.

What!!?!?

That will only happen if there is a fault in the system. Look at ANY wiring diagram, the alternator output is (or should be) tied directly to the battery. If you are reading a 1 volt loss in that wire, it's faulty....

Chris.....

ok I will test the wire tomarow but im only getting 12.4 at the battery when running anyways. the red/white wire from the alternator goes to the starter then another red goes from there to the battery

theblob

Banned

I hope you didnt order one of those rebuilt ones that they rebuild in mexico,only like 40% of them alternators charge above 13v.better to buy new and test as soon as you hook up.i bought 1 rebuiltone only charged 12.8 so took it back.got another only charged around 12.6 so bought new and there you go 14v.if autozone alts like that what you think ebays be like.just a tip if you want one that will last a long time.

I do AGREE if u have a one volt drop from the alternator to battery theres a break in the wire internally

achris

ok chris so what your saying is basically to just remove the resistor and put nuts on the wires that are left except the red/white and black witch is ground I believe . and connect the red/white to the new alternator and black wire. but will my amp meter still work then? also so I take it as a yes that the alternator I ordered will work. sorry I just want to make sure I got everything right

When you say 'resistor' are you referring to the 'regulator'? I suspect so.

There are 3 wires on the regulator, a white, a black and a blue. They all need to be removed and insulated. If it was me, I would cut the ends off, fold them back and put adhesive lined heat-shrink over each of them individually. You could just wrap them in electrical insulating tape if you like.

You also have a blue wire on the old alternator. That also needs to be insulated.

With those 4 wires done, put the new alternator in and connect the red/white wire to the output post and the black to the body of the alternator.

That's it, job done. And yes, the ammeter will still work....

Chris.....

yeah its new I contacted the manufacture before I bought and asked some questions but if I have that problem I will defiantly return
. im going to double check right now

achris

ok I will test the wire tomarow but im only getting 12.4 at the battery when running anyways. the red/white wire from the alternator goes to the starter then another red goes from there to the battery

You should find the red/white from the alternator go to a terminal block that then goes to the dash to go through the ammeter.

If it goes directly to the starter motor post with the battery red on it, I have a question. Did the ammeter work properly before the battery f.u.b.a.r?

Chris......

theblob

Banned

Im not forsure how different boats are than cars when it comes to alternator's but i always test at alternator,because it does read stronger,on a vehical,because you have regulator,and other stuff. Using the electric as well.almost everyone ive every tested would say around 13v at battery and like 14v at alternator.

theblob

Banned

ok just double checked yes 100 present new

Its new but if you look in describtion it says 12v.it doesnt say anything about a max volt of like 14.6.not saying you wont get a good one.that is a really cheap price and no core charge.hopfully youll get a good one.when you get it test it let me know that way ill know where to buy from if it puts out good.

achris

Im not forsure how different boats are than cars when it comes to alternator's but i always test at alternator,because it does read stronger,on a vehical,because you have regulator,and other stuff. Using the electric as well.almost everyone ive every tested would say around 13v at battery and like 14v at alternator.

Then please, stop commenting! You are just confusing things with wrong information.

theblob

Banned

Then please, stop commenting! You are just confusing things with wrong information.

Im tring to get at alternator may not be bad.he did hook backwards for a slight sec.thats whys its always better to test from alternator.

theblob

Banned

You know what i just noticed you said battery dropped to 10v that sounds strange.you could have something killing battery or dead cell.good battery charged should be 12.8.you never said if battery was new or not.

achris

Im tring to get at alternator may not be bad.he did hook backwards for a slight sec.thats whys its always better to test from alternator.

A few things you don't seem to be aware of.... It takes less than 1ms (that's 1/1000 sec) to blow a rectifier diode (they are the ones inside the alternator) when forward biased. His engine has an external regulator. Neither the alternator nor the regulator are still available. So if either is blown, then he has to change to a new alternator anyway. He's measured the voltage at the battery, the system is not charging. Unless you know of a different reason for no charge (especially since the battery reverse), then please just sit back and listen (and learn)...

Chris....

achris

You know what i just noticed you said battery dropped to 10v that sounds strange.you could have something killing battery or dead cell.good battery charged should be 12.8.you never said if battery was new or not.

:facepalm: A battery that is running an engine and not being charged will lose power. That power loss is reflected as a lower voltage....