1974 Glastron

Hey guys, new to the forum but i bring a specific few questions regarding a boat I found on craigslist.

keep in mind I do have some mechanical background but this is my first boat.

like I said, i found a boat on CL, its a 1974 glastron with the 4cyl 140hp merc. he said it was in solid shape but needed a new impeller (water pump) on the lower outdrive. said it would cost about 40 bucks at NAPA.

Link to the CL ad
http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/1765411815.html

Im just curious to know if there was any damage that could have occured if he ran it. my buddy said it might have cracked something perhaps. I dont have an issue replacing it as i seems pretty straight forward.

I dont want to get myself into an unrelaible boat. seeing as its my first.

But i also dont wanna spend a fortune.

Hes askin 1200 but said he wouldnt take anything lower than 800. its sitting on a decent 1995 trailer. (hes the second owner)

(he said he works 6 days a week and has no time to enjoy it)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1974 Glastron

Ayuh,... I might pay $800., but Not $1200... It's 35 years old...

captmello

Captain

If the impeller goes out, it fills the cooling system with pieces of rubber and the engine overheats. Thats about it.

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Wonder when he figured out it needed an impellor, as part of routine maintenance or after it over heated the engine? Something you might want to determine before you buy.

just went out to look at it. boat was in good condition. dash panel had some cracks in it. seat seams were stretched out a bit on the driver side. and there were some small spider cracks in the gel coat. other than that boat was solid in and out.

he was asking 1200 but wouldn't take anything lower than 800. so i offered him 700. being my first boat i gave it a shot. took the offer. hopefully I dont find anything catastrophic when its out on the water with the new impeller. thanks for the help guys.

if anyone else has any advice to a new owner, im open to suggestions. Thanks
Scott

Bondo

Staff member

if anyone else has any advice to a new owner, im open to suggestions. Thanks
Scott

Ayuh,.... Are ya Handy,..??

If so, head on up to the Adults Only section at the top of this forum,...
Download the oem Manuals for this thing,+ READ....

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats and good luck.
Keep in mind thats a 36 year old boat, so be prepared to spend some cash along with a bit of tlc.

bought it for $700 with the '92 yatch club trailer. put the new pump in ($50), New battery ($100), new plexi window ($15), and ripped out the dash console, stained a peice of quarter inch plywood and poly'd it. thing really looks good. bought some of the color restorer and wax. Ill have to find a pictures thread and post some up. its in really good shape.

Had it out today for the first time. lake was glass. boat ran great. just makes me nervous sometimes being so old.

Thanks again for everyones help.

I think they only made a blue, green, and brown. But I think the gel coat is just a bit faded.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a 1981 Glastron I had, except it was an outboard. Good deal for 700 bucks! I paid 600 for this, cleaned it, put new tires on and sold it for 1200:

Attachments

• DSCF2057.JPG.jpg
    DSCF2057.JPG.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 0

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Sounds like you got a decent deal.

Trailer might be a little under sized - little too much rear overhang. Cant tell from the pictures, but you might be able to move it forward.