need help with alternator

Re: need help with alternator

ok so ill check the alternator tomarow but if that's not bad then what could be the wire or the regulator? or what

theblob

Banned

Thats about the only thing im really good at is batterys.ive took junk batterys and made them like new,and have even charged them backwards where pos will be neg because thats only way it would take charge and last for months.a battery can say 12.4 but will it drop low when cranking,you have to test it with stress too.i have old battery charger with circut breaker from the 60's and you wouldnt believe how many dead batterys ive brought back to live.i mostly rebuild drycell ones but.check at alternator just to see.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

just a question what do the three wires im going to seal up go to and what do they do.

White wire: Power when the key is switched to ON. The regulator uses this to do 2 things. One is the monitoring of the system voltage and the other is it's the power supply it feeds to the rotor in the alternator to control the alternators' output.

Black wire: (You probably guess this one already) Ground.

Blue wire: this is the wire that connects to the alternator and supplies the power into it to produce an output.... (same wire as the blue at the alternator end)

Chris.....

theblob

Banned

A good battery wont drop to 10v if it does let it sat 5 min and it will charge on its own back up to 11.6 atleast,just amps wont be high.

achris

ok so ill check the alternator tomarow but if that's not bad then what could be the wire or the regulator? or what

The alternator will have no output if it has an internal fault, or if the regulator is fried. Either way you need to replace the alternator. And as they don't make them with external regulators any longer, the regulator needs to go too....

'theblob' doesn't understand how this system works (or anything to do with boats), his 'advice' is misleading...

Many years ago I has a Mercruiser 165, also with an external regulator. That regulator died, I replaced it with a Bosch RE-55 regulator... If you want to check to see if the alternator is still working, connect the white wire to the blue wire and start the engine. The voltage will go quite high, so have the meter connected to the battery and watch it carefully. You may have to give the engine a slight rev to 'excite' the alternator... If the voltage goes up (more than 13.5 volts) then the alternator survived, but the regulator is shot. If you could find a suitable (2 wires and a ground) regulator, then you could replace just that... But just putting a meter on the alternator output will ony tell you the alternator OR (or both) the regulator are dead....

Chris....

Last edited:

so yes the battery is newer and it was charged when I put it then then I crossed the pos and neg but then reversed to normal and the battery still read charged so I took it out and it rran great till it shut off and did click click click when I tried to restart the motor so I checked the volts and it read 10 volts and when I would tern the key to star it would drop to 8v so I got my girl to bring a new battery ibought for my truck to the docks where I paddled into and bam it started right up and ran great so I took it for a 20 min ride and came back to the docks and checked the volts and it was 10 volts on my brand new battery so I concluded that the alternator was not doing its job and the motor was running off the battery till the battery died and left me to paddle home. correct me if im wrong but that says I have a bad alternator or resistor either way I need to upgrade to fix.

theblob

Banned

Just curios you never said why you had battery loose.heres what i use to check my batterys ill hook a electric motor to it then check volts.have you had battery tested? Because 10v i dont see that unless battery bad.

achris

A good battery wont drop to 10v if it does let it sat 5 min and it will charge on its own back up to 11.6 atleast,just amps wont be high.

Complete rubbish!!!

achris

so yes the battery is newer and it was charged when I put it then then I crossed the pos and neg but then reversed to normal and the battery still read charged so I took it out and it rran great till it shut off and did click click click when I tried to restart the motor so I checked the volts and it read 10 volts and when I would tern the key to star it would drop to 8v so I got my girl to bring a new battery ibought for my truck to the docks where I paddled into and bam it started right up and ran great so I took it for a 20 min ride and came back to the docks and checked the volts and it was 10 volts on my brand new battery so I concluded that the alternator was not doing its job and the motor was running off the battery till the battery died and left me to paddle home. correct me if im wrong but that says I have a bad alternator or resistor either way I need to upgrade to fix.

Completely correct...

theblob

Banned

Any good battery wont drain to that low of volts.your alternator must have killed your battery too.ive seen it to many times.looks like youll have to buy battery too.

achris

Your battery is bad

His battery is good...

Any good battery wont drain to that low of volts.your alternator must have killed your battery too.ive seen it to many times.looks like youll have to buy battery too.

Here you go again! Spending other peoples' money.... All he needs to do is charge the battery.... There is nothing wrong with it, and the alternator didn't kill it. Driving around for 20 minutes used the charge, nothing more.....

Last edited:

how do I have 2 bad batteries one is brand new and the other one I charged and still holds a charge now

achris

Im not saying his alt isnt bad,but believe battery is bad too.and yes any good battery will charge on its own from just sitting with no charge.

:facepalm: No boy!!! God save me, or him.... :facepalm:

achris

how do I have 2 bad batteries one is brand new and the other one I charged and still holds a charge now

Quite correct.... Please, ignore EVERYTHING from the theblob... This is the third thread he has proven he knows NOTHING in.....

I'm off to fix my mother's TV/stereo set-up and will be gone a few hours... Have fun... :D

Last edited:

also I know my battery is good because when all this happed And I was stuck on the lake. by the way it was lake Michigan a big ****ing lake. I would start the motor it would run for a a hort period of time then die so I would let it sit after it run for say fifteen mins and I would paddle then it would start and this was a cycle till I got back and then when I put the new battery in it started and ran fine but I kept a eye on the volts and they kept droping till I got to the dock on my 20 min ride

theblob

Banned

Ive bought over 100 dead batterys and rebuilt them,and if his battery said 8volts when tring to crank its bad.autozone tests them for free.ive just never seen a good battery do that.battery might say 12.4 but amps wont be what there suppose to be.how can you tell someone to ignore me? I know your the king on boat stuff.but everyones opinion should be looked at.