need help with alternator

Re: need help with alternator

also how could a new one be bad too. i keep tools on my boat as well as spare parts so if i run into any problems im prepared. u never know what can happen

theblob

Banned

Most i just drain fluid and refill with new.pop caps and see if any cells are low or dry.that happens in boats alot.i didnt know you said your battery charged on its own.i thought when you tested it and it said 10volts it was next day.so you must have tested right after being drained.check for fluid loss.and put on like a 1amp slow charge.i even use milamps like 500milamps.anytime i see chargers(adaptors) at yardsales i always buy if its 12volts.makes good battery tenders.powerwheels chargers work good too because they have the red light that turns green when charged.if you ever find charger like that you can hook it to battery and leave in boat that way you can just run cord out to boat,or just buy one of them 60 dollar ones thats the same thing just has clips on it.

theblob

Banned

New one probly not bad.but drained to 10v does sound like a ground or something.if wires on battery feel hot to touch while running may point in that direction.

yeah that's what i have in my boat. it a slow charge motorcycle charger it charges at one amp and it stays in the boat. all i do is plug it in when i get home kinda like shore power at a dock

theblob

Banned

I must have made chris mad.sorry i didnt have all the info.does your motorcycle charger charge at 13.6 if so thats pretty good.hope you get it going.they sell them onboard chargers so high when phones,ect have adaptors that will work,just buy some 1.00 clips and you got a 30 dollar charger.i bought whole box one day for 5 bucks and made a bunch.

theblob

Banned

A regular battery wont charge above 12.8 a marine deep cycle can charge to like 13.2 but the best batterys are dry cell.they charge up to like 13.6, and you get one that say would be put in a electric wheelchair.thier the best.batterys only have so many charges they can be runned down and charged.like say 2,000 charges but you only need for cranking,but say you have nice stereo and use it alot you need one that is suppose to be runned down and recharged.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

A regular battery wont charge above 12.8 a marine deep cycle can charge to like 13.2 but the best batterys are dry cell.they charge up to like 13.6, and you get one that say would be put in a electric wheelchair.thier the best.batterys only have so many charges they can be runned down and charged.like say 2,000 charges but you only need for cranking,but say you have nice stereo and use it alot you need one that is suppose to be runned down and recharged.

Complete rot!

A normal lead-acid battery nominal voltage is 13.2V (6 cells at 2.2 volts each)... Nominal charging voltage is 14.0V.

Electric wheel chair batteries are Gell-cell batteries, not dry cell... :facepalm:...

As for batteries that charge themselves... I'll sign up for a few thousand of those!
Sunshine, if you have a battery that can charge itself, why aren't you a gzillionaire? That's what we call free energy, and it's the holy grail of this planet! PLEASE, let the rest of the world know about it... Just be careful, the oil companies are NOT going to like you!

Last edited:

theblob

Banned

Complete rot!

A normal lead-acid battery nominal voltage is 13.2V (6 cells at 2.2 volts each)... Nominal charging voltage is 14.0V.

Electric wheel chair batteries are Gell-cell batteries, not dry cell... :facepalm:...

As for batteries that charge themselves... I'll sign up for a few thousand of those!
Sunshine, if you have a battery that can charge itself, why aren't you a gzillionaire? That's what we call free energy, and it's the holy grail of this planet! PLEASE, let the rest of the world know about it... Just be careful, the oil companies are NOT going to like you!

You must be confused drycell batterys are different then the gel batterys.optima are gel-cell batterys and there junk most wont last a year.gel-cell batterys wont quit charging.they will charge there self untill dead.why pay 250 for gel-cell when it wont last.only good for mounting in different angles.i was talking about drycell batterys.thier the best.

achris

yeah that's what i have in my boat. it a slow charge motorcycle charger it charges at one amp and it stays in the boat. all i do is plug it in when i get home kinda like shore power at a dock

Same here. But I wish I had some of those batteries theblob has, that charge themselves.... I'd never have another electricity bill!!!

I have a dual battery set-up. I just leave the switch on BOTH and hook the charger up. I think mine is a 1.6A unit...

Chris.......

Last edited:

by the way I need a valve cover gasket where can I get one for cheap but still good quality mine leaks at the rear of the motor. its a slow leak but still a leak

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the cork gaskets myself. I find they still work great and they are cheap.

Boat Part Headquarters Valve Cover Gaskets

PS: It is encouraged to start a separate post for different issues so things don't get confusing.

Last edited:

kbsunlovers

Cadet

Not knowing squat about batteries is no crime. Listening to someone who doesn't should be ;-)
Trojan has a great guide with lots of good info : http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJN0109_UsersGuide.pdf
Lots of manufacturers make great batteries, Trojan among them. It's how you take care of them that makes
them last...just like everything else, know what I mean? Cheap chargers aren't going to get you far.

Now where are you at with that alternator?

achris

Dude you guys sleep lol...

I'm on the other side of the planet. I sleep when you're at work... (come to think of it, I sleep when I'm at work too...;))

And yeah, How's it coming with the alternator?

well im wating on the alternator to get here hopefully by Monday. as soon as that happens I will install it using the directions chris gave me and see what happens