MirroCraft Resto! Need Help!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: MirroCraft Resto! Need Help!

teleflrx makes a good one.....

as far as the tough coat ......i havent used it...

but if i remember correctly, it has been used on the forums with sucess

cheers bud
oops

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea i was thinking a teleflex rotary, and def hoping the tuff coat works out... i'm so close yet so far... As soon as I get the last coats of herculiner on and the last little bit of glass laid up I'm gonna flip her and start paintin...

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well, the last 2 days have consisted of sanding....sanding...and more friggin sandin!! I layed on the first coat of primer tonight. After doing an initial sand to asess the damage...not to bad actually! After about an hour of ripping out the old caulk from the seams, squirting a new bead in, then about 3 hours of JB weld and grinding i got the hull smoothed out nicely! I even had the energy to lay on the first coat of primer. Looks great!! I will have some pics up tomorrow, to dark now! ....OH YEA.... and I got the console built, looks good! pics tomorrow....:D:D

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay, had some stuff to blow up on the 4th...heheha, but anyway i got the second coat of primer on after seal sanding the first, second coat went on and once more another seal sand but this time a MUCH lighter one. Then I decided were to put my stripe, preped the paint( rustoleum gloss sunburst yellow with 20% Penetrol) And laid down the first coat using the roll and tip method. I drew down guide lines on the hull and painted to about 2-4" to the outside of those lines to make sure an even coat for the stripe. Seal sanded then laid down a second. After the second coat was COMPLETELY dry I began taping out the stripe itself. I used 1/2" 3m tape and a roll of masking paper for this step. Once the taping process was through(it sucked soooo bad) I laid down the first coat of gloss black tonight and all I can say is WOW... after 2 more coats its gonna look nice!! pics to come in a min, I dont care if its dark or not, I've gotta get some pics up:D:D

my reply is this.. make sure this is something you really want to do... AND will ENJOY doing, cuz its gonna be alot of elbow grease. oh and as i found out this year with my resto project on my first boat, the old adage is so true no matter what type of boat you have...
B- bust
O- out
A- another
T- thousand $

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ummmm...... thanks......

Anyway-
IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

Thats after one coat of black. Second goes on today. I've been feelin a bit under the weather or paint would have been done... More updates tomorrow...

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...wow...BUMP!.... Never had to go to the 4th page to retrieve my thread...lol... I'll have a detailed update going on tomorrow, got er finished on paint and going on to finish up the interior so I can get out on the lake!!! :D

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THANKS New Boater! I think her paint turned out quite well...:D
IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

Anyone notice the issue here?
IMG_0681.jpg

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What do you guys think...? Too much?:D:D
IMG_06801.jpg

stevenw00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That paint job looks great. Very well done! Does the dent make much of a difference in anything?

I like the console, but that tower might be a TAD too much. LOL

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Sweet job. I like it all, layout, product choice, paint, color, console and tower. I'd put the boat further up on the bunks though...overhang is not a good thang. More pix please, especially when it you get it powered and on the water.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dang it steven! You were'nt supposed to notice the dent! lol, no it doesnt effect anything. That pic was to show how far back the transom sat off the bunks!!! I could have sworn they extended all the way back when it was original, apparently not! I'm gonna have to figure out a way to slide the boat up, but at the same time I don't have much room left at the tongue of the trailer....i dunno...Thanks Calavy!, More pics to come! The console I have built, I'll get some more pics of that, the tower is a pic in my head....that was made on paint..lol, I don't if it will be to much or not.... we'll see. I just wanna get her on the water right now!!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright guys, I gotta know if this console is to high?? To me when I'm standin on the outside it looks a little disproportioned. Lemme know what you think on that subject..... What do you think of the front deck design?
IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

Try to give you guys as many angles as possible to look at it.... Whats gonna be the best way to run the control cables? Thanks Guys!!!

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

i have never seen fiberglass used in an aluminum before.. so this is new to me. Will the flex of the hull crack the glass in anyway? It looks interesting, but before i try something like this, i would have to ask.. Nice job so far man.. Lots of manhours i bet.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So far so good, I've had to flip the hull twice putting the full weight of the boat on the gunwales. The flex is minimal, and the glass doesnt so much as creak! I used some 50 grit sanding blocks to score the surfaces where the glass would adhere too. I believe this has helped a lot! And Yea it seems like a never-ending project, however you look at the pics on pg.1 and its come a LOOOOONNGGG way i think! Prolly around 50-60 hrs, maybe more. Most watchin paint and resin dry!!!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone have some opinions on my console?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Console does look a little outta scale (large), but it boils down to what you want. I'd be concerned about it taking up a lot of deck space in that small a boat, maybe making the hull unstable if two people are up walking around. Smaller off-center console might give you more deck space. Console work/job looks nice, just like everything else in your rig....again it boils down to what you prefer. I wouldn't run the cables or anchor the console permanently until you can test it on the water...leave room for some adjustments if you get a wild hare to change something.