MirroCraft Resto! Need Help!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MirroCraft Resto! Need Help!

Good to see your still at it oops!! Thanks, Focus, that pic really helped me to understand how the throttle and shifter link up. Now I just have to figure out the steering. The only problem there is that I really have no where to mount the tube that goes under the motor... I'm tryin to fabricate somethin, but I'll have some great pics tomorrow of the progress...looks awesome! Thanks guys!!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well... We'll start with the good news... Got the console in, steering and controls mounted(waiting to run the cables) Running and Aux docking lights all wired up and about to mount the seats... Pics...
IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

Alright and now on to the questions!! ... STEERING LINKAGE???
IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

That's what I've got, the bracket holding the steering tube is normally mounted to the transom, correct?? Well every steering linkage I've seen is not gonna reach, and the knee brace would be in the way of the cables operation... Any suggestions or custom mounting ideas....ANY idea is welcome and much appreciated... Thanks!! :D

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I don't know for sure if this will work. Could you remove the bolt at the engine tilt and replace it with the tube. This is how my little Nissan 18 was setup. I did it to my brothers 25 Johnson. I just knocked the bushings out and found bronze bearings underneath them. His was a used motor so I don't know if that was original or not.

You might be able to adapt it for a Teleflex BayStar hydraulic system but that would add another 700.00 to your expenses. I think you'll figure something out before that becomes the last resort.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay..... you are going to have to be creative. Who sells riding lawn mowers in your town? Look at the steering linkages and tie rods on them.

A tie rod end will attach to the bracket in the front of the motor ......

Once you look at one you will understand.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sschefer- You might be dead on... that thought had run through my mind once, but as soon as I looked at it I saw how small the bolt was... it wasnt until you said something that I noticed those huge washers(probably attached to bushings) I'm headed out there now to check that out!

Bob- You know I never even thought about using parts off of something other than a boat, but why not at this point... this part is drivin me nuts...

Thanks so much for the advice guys!!:D

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just knocked the bushings out and found bronze bearings underneath them.
sschefer- I pulled the bolt which reveiled the bushings...any particular way to remove those?

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks focus, I'm workin on gettin the bushings out of the way to see if I can make the tube work... if not then I'll have to try the transom clamp block. Any quick trick to get the bushings out?

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great job on the trailer. I am doing the exact same thing as you. Your rig looks to be about 14' in lenght. ? Mine is 16' also alum. I had a side console which I am keeping as is. This allows more room for moving around in a narrow rig like yours as opposed to a center console.

As for the flooring, the lower you install it, the more "floor space" you'll have. You can pop rivet the flooring to the ribs being very careful to measure properly and use a string line front to back when poping in the wood. Storage is a problem. I'm in the design/planning stages of my rebuild. I'm making carboard mockups for radios at the console, elect's at the console, battery storage compartment, tackle box storage and fishing rod holders. I don't want anything laying lose while I'm underway.

I'm not qualified to answer questions on balance, center of gravity and tech questions like that, so I won't even try to. I rely on this site and our many outstanding members to get my questions answered.

Again, great job on the trailer, can't wait to see what the boat looks llike when youre done. Good luck..:p

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Being new to boat alterations I hope that I don't sound stupid, but Iwas wondering if it is possible to install foam under the floor for floatation, so the boat would not sink in an accident. (I know I forgot to put the plug in years ago and my fiberglass boat was 1/2 way filled with water by the time I returned from parking the car/trailer.)
Is there a way to use expanding type foam, injected under the floor?

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, if I am not mistakin you can always add foam. However I don't want to use it for this build, anyway.... I've had to many of oops brown mexicans....so I'm gonna go mess with the evinrudee,,, still workin on those bushings....:D

D

DJ

Being new to boat alterations I hope that I don't sound stupid, but Iwas wondering if it is possible to install foam under the floor for floatation, so the boat would not sink in an accident. (I know I forgot to put the plug in years ago and my fiberglass boat was 1/2 way filled with water by the time I returned from parking the car/trailer.)
Is there a way to use expanding type foam, injected under the floor?

Yes you can, however it is a double edged sword, in my opinion. In a sealed deck, like a Boston Whaler, it becomes little issue. With open decks, water can get into it. Closed cell, or not, it still holds water.

If you are going to add foam, I would add planks OR create channels for water to escape.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. To get the bushings out, you need a hydraulic press. You should be able to take the mount off the motor (if you haven't already) and take it to a machine shop and have it pressed out. It won't cost much to have it done. You shouldn't try it yourself unless you have a press. If you don't have the right sized drift you can skew the bushing and then you'll have a mess.

It's a quick 15 minute job for most shops.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lol....i have a 2 ton shop press...never thought about using that... I just got out the drill... hehe... However I'm very happy with the results.
Before-
IMG_1077.jpg

After-
IMG_1099.jpg

What do you guys think? I think this setup is money... By the way, thanks to chefer and everyone else that helped with this step!! It was drivin me nuts! DJ thanks for chimin in on the foam question, I know my deck isnt sealed and I definately don't want a couple hundred pounds of wet foam holdin me back!!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excitin news fellas!! Got the cables ran and shifter and throttle hooked up!!
IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Everything look good??
Shifter-
IMG_1105.jpg

Throttle-
IMG_1107.jpg

With the steering tube.... Whats going to be the best way to get the linkage arm to work?? Would it be best to get one pre-made, or fabricate one? I'm noticing that most "stock" linkage arms have like a 1 1/2" to 2" rise on them... I've probably only got an inch between the motors steering bracket and the steering tube...I hope that makes sense but if you'll look at the pics you'll understand what I'm trying to say...

And as for this...
IMG_1103.jpg

Whats the best way to bolt this thing down and not have to worry about it rippin out and our the holes rotting out...

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks TD!! Does it look like the mod I did to fit the tilt tube will work? Thanks Again bud!!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks TD!! You the man! :D