MirroCraft Resto! Need Help!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: MirroCraft Resto! Need Help!

im using poly-fair.....no short strand fibers....but great stuff.....

havent used the bondo stuff.

tcindie.........thanks for the links ! :)

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

*bump* Exciting news.... Going to take new pics now....

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had her out on the lake!!! After I got the last coat of non-skid on the deck I finished the hatches and decided to take her out and see how she rode! WOW, like a dream. Even though I raised the center of gravity I honestly feel like its more stable now than before. I think it's just because I have a flat deck under my feet. Not a single issue...so far... with the glass to aluminum bond thus far. And my buddies and I were sure enough putting her through her paces!! She has lost an ounce of power I dont think, still planes quickly. We even got bold and strapped a tube on!! Slung my buddy around like a rag doll!! Splashwell worked perfect!! Non-skid was top notch and the color really wasnt unbearlable with bare feet! It was 92 degrees and not a cloud in the sky! Here's some pics-
IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone ever used any duplicolor paint products on there hulls? I found some clear coat made by them and I'm pretty sure it would work as a topside paint... Let me know...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

dont know about the paint....

but what is that green bottle on the deck?????? :eek:

the only bottles allowed on a resto are brown or mexican clear :D :D :D

glad she worked for ya.....

cheers
oops

240sx4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In the car world, this is a resto-mod. Hardly recognizable.

You should be proud, looks great!

Evan

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oops- LOL, sorry captain!! I'll take care of that right away!:D

CastAway- Yea, i was pretty impressed with the stuff! Bondo also has a long strand version

240sx- Know all about resto-mods;) Workin on my tow vehicle now. And I can barely recognize it myself! Thanks for the compliment bud!!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got some more pics coming tomorrow, got the running lights installed. Working on the wiring right now, its drivin me nuts!!!!:D:mad:!!! I've ran wiring for an entire house but this is kicking my a**!! The supports that I ran below deck are preventing my fish tape from snaken through! Minor issues right now, I really gotta get this thing done! Pics soon!!!!:D

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got some more pics coming tomorrow, got the running lights installed. Working on the wiring right now, its drivin me nuts!!!!:D:mad:!!! I've ran wiring for an entire house but this is kicking my a**!! The supports that I ran below deck are preventing my fish tape from snaken through! Minor issues right now, I really gotta get this thing done! Pics soon!!!!:D

Got those pics ready.....;) So how did it turn out?

danm2a2

Cadet

Outstanding work. Hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Very good job of taking pics and explaining the work. Keep 'em coming!!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't worry fellas, I havent given up yet. Waitin to save some money up in this horrible economy! New pics comin soon! :D

danm2a2

Cadet

Fantastic job on the boat. I feel your pain with the economy. March is when I get to start again on my boat deck replacement. With temps well below freezing, sleet, ice snow and 30-40mph winds it's kind of tough to do much until then. Again great work on the boat and it looks fantastic!

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have also been looking for some piece of aluminum transom channel trim for my transom. You mentioned you had a nastey tear in yours , did you replace it ? if so what with and where did you get it?

http://www.brunnerent.com/Tools/Por...flag=0&type=7&size=0&lngDisplay=0&strMetaTag=

http://www.mpmetals.com/prod-C-111 16 gage roll formed finger channel.asp

and I think this one is a winner

http://www.classicseacraft.com/forum/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=30235&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

, I still haven't decided , definately want the stainless chrome look though for cosmetics.
Nice job with hatch doors .
Trailer looks great, I am just going to do mine today . It is an tubed Shelby trailer I think. Tilt works great. Two coats of rust kill primer followed with some Gloss sail blue to match my boats paint. I better get to it now daylight is a wasting.

Oh and with the duplicolor clear, yeah I used it before with good results painting a tailgate with the duplicolor system , no one could believe that I did it . i dunno why you'd wanna put that over rustoleum though. just do a few more coats, it is enamel just not clear like the duplicolor but way way cheaper than what you';d spend on enough cans of that stuff at autozone to do your whole hull, which looks nice by the way. How did you apply the paint? I gotta old duratech tinny that I might be painting soon. Did you use a self etching primer before the rustoleum ? I was under the impression it was essential.

Keep up the good work!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dan- Thanks!! I went through and looked at the pics start to finish and couldnt believe it myself! Its come a long way!
78- I actually used a metal former at a local shop and just bent my own... 10 times stronger than it needs to be, but then again the whole transom is stronger than it needs to be!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright fellas, progress is movin ahead on my baby! I picked up the controls and steering, now I'm just tryin to figure out how to hook em' up. If you need some more pics of the motor let me know, but heres some of the controls...
IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

It's probably quite obvious how there supposed to hook up, but remember this engine never had controls so I'm not to sure how they would connect... AND... A little more progress on my console!
IMG_1036.jpg

It's gonna be sweeeet! :D

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anybody? I think I have the steering figured out, I just need to get a linkage arm to mount to the end of the steering cable then run it to the "front mounting hole" on the engine. Then mount the adjustment tube to the transom. But the controls have got me pretty stumped! I've been searchin the forums, but can't find anything detailed enough...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi bud....pm bond-o or td.......dont ask them in pm.....just give them this link and ask them to kindly look in on it........

glad to see your still hard at it bud.....good on ya ! :)

cheers
oops

focus

Seaman Apprentice

on my johnson i had the same cable ends that are in your first photo and used these adapters
http://www.iboats.com/OMC_Johnson_E...32180348--**********.237198573--view_id.40268

full range of adapters here
http://www.iboats.com/Boat_Control_...1328354--**********.237198573--view_id.217131

the 2 brackets with the hook shapes attach to the side of your outboard and the cable clips into the and then attaches to your gear change and throttle , you can see one fastened to the side of my outboard in photo

DSCF2712.jpg