MirroCraft Resto! Need Help!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MirroCraft Resto! Need Help!

Wow, i didnt even think to mention that earlier! It sure is elmers, good eye drew!! I still have to get one more gallon, is the boatyard brand from basspro unwaxed? I finished off the front deck with the resin I had left, deck is rock hard!! any brand/model reccomendations on steering and throttle controls for the motor I have? Thanks Guys!!!!:D

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have I mentioned lately that I HATE glassing!! :D Anyways, ill have a pic update for ya tomorrow. I got the front lower deck all glassed(YAY!) I'm going to be capping off the bow to use as a platform to make boarding the boat easier, I figured I could cut some panels and use that area for storage. Plus my lil sis is in a wheelchair so it will make it a lot easier getting her aboard! I'm also going to mount the deep cycle up there to distribute the weight a little more. Anyone know a good clear coat that will work with rustoleum(oil based)?

Pony

Rear Admiral

Here are a few pics of my Alumacraft's Splashwell.........the transom and bracing look very similar to what you have, so it would be close to what your's might have had if it came from the factory with one. The smaller one is a thumbnail so click on it for the full size pic.

hpim0247lx1.jpg

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Pony!! that really gives me an idea of how to construct it!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys, not a huge update but I did get the front bulkhead cut for the front deck. Gotta go get some more resin and glass mat.
Whats the best way to mount a ski pylon to the setup I have? With a pedastel just in front of the splashwell? The only problem I have with that is I've heard that the screws that hold the pedastel down get soggy and can rip out... What do you guys think?

doctorwho

Cadet

I have the same boat and did put flooring in all areas as well as a small casting deck . I used 5/8 exterior plywood and spar varnished each piece before carpeting it. I did have to place additional supports low on the bench seat wall to support the edges as well as gluing and screwing 2X4's across the bottom of the floor to reduce flex. This has worked out great for me in this little fishing boat. The whole job cost less than $200 and has lasted very well for 15 years.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats awesome doctorwho, do you have any pics of your project? I'll have some more of mine up later tonight. Its 98 degrees outside right now!!! To hot to do anything!! Im gearing my rig more toward the ski and leisure end of boating, however im an avid fisher so the front deck will certainly come in handy! How's the stability of yours when your up on that front deck?

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW, what a day... finally gettin home!! Heres the pics I promised...
IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

Both front bulkheads in and the center support, I'll have some other supports running the perimeter.
IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Splashwell taking shape, just roughin it in right now trying to fit the main body in snuggly then I 'll pull it back out and give it a good sanding and a layer of resin.
IMG_0650.jpg

Anyone else hate this tool????:D
Well thats it so far, the splashwell is takin a lot of time namely because theres angles involved. When you mix angles and beer the outcome usually means you'll be standin around scratchin your head a lot!!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the front deck cut today!:D Gotta glass everything and run my electric and controls. She's comin along!

Pony

Rear Admiral

Looks good.......

Did you test anything before you made that deck so high? I know that before I put mine in I went out with a piece of plywood at deck height to check the stability of the boat. Even at the level that I built my deck at, I can notice the COG difference (and I think my hull is deeper than yours). Just something you may want to consider.....I would hate to see you put all this time/effort in and have to redo something because it didn't quite work.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, I fiddled with the deck height out on my neighborhood lake. At the height its at now the seats will sit about the same height as the originals, maybe an inch higher...no big deal... the main deck height was tested 3 times with different loads to see how the boat would react. The front deck is mostly just to make boarding easier. And of course to get a little fishin in...:D
I'm finishin up the splashwell tomorrow, I'll have some more pics posted then.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

keep on rockin .....looks really good

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks oops! Sounds like your rockin out too! I'm pullin an all nighter gettin my deck glassed!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nothin photoworthy yet, I'm STILL glassin the deck!!!! Got the splashwell built, now Ive just got to glass that in. Next is build the console and finish wiring, do you guys think a Teleflex Rotary steering system and twin lever controls will be a good setup for this boat?

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

***bump*** Pics tomorrow I promise:D

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as promised...work getting done on the splashwell...
IMG_0665.jpg

Got the access hatch cut and some of the electric run...
IMG_0666.jpg

Getting the pedastel mounted for the ski pylon... any extra support I should put in this area?
IMG_0675.jpg

has anyone used this on there decks... I was thinking about it for my front deck...
IMG_0673.jpg

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The big progress is on the front decks supports and storage compartments...
Finished the glass....
This is the anchor compartment-
IMG_0667.jpg

Starboard side storage compartment-
IMG_0668.jpg

An overall shot showing the herculined side...
IMG_0674.jpg

This stuff is awesome!!!!
IMG_0670.jpg

stevenw00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you (or are you) putting in drain holes so that any water that gets in the front storage areas can drain to the back?

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the inner corners of the compartments are going to have drain holes, they'll drain back to the bilge where a johnson pump will get it out of the boat.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone every used that tuff-coat non-skid? I still have the receipt if its no good. I got a full layer of the herculiner in the storage compartments today... I have to go get another gallon to finish with one more coat in there, 2 coats in the bilge, and 2 coats on the splashwell. Do you guys have any suggestions on the steering and controls?? Brand/model/type?? I need to order them ASAP! Let me know. Thanks!!