1987 Chris Craft Amerosport 284 Recondition Thread

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 Chris Craft Amerosport 284 Recondition Thread

Great info on the shower sump and bilge. I will be looking for mine next weekend when I get down to the boat again.

FYI - I have sent you all friend requests since we have similar boats. Thought it will be good to keep in contact. I don't know what happened to the other photos in my last post, but I'll try to post them here again.

Tell me if you think $6K was a good price with dual Merc 5.7L's, one with 2 hours and one with 200 hours, no invertor or generator, and no trailer.http://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

View attachment 114108View attachment 114109View attachment 114110View attachment 114111View attachment 114112

Hey Skim61, Now I can see your pictures!!

Looks like a nice clean boat for 6K!!!!!!

A little different then mine, I don't have have the windows down on side of the hull. I have a window under near the back rather then near the driving area. I'll post some pics up as soon as I get it back, Do you have any pics of the interior... Mine was REALLY bad when I got it- Windows were leaking, etc...

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, do you guys have A/C on your boat? I would like to add A/C to the boat next year but not sure if I want to cough up that much money for a Marine A/C unit....

Bruno1950

Cadet

Skim,
Like I said before, if that thing floats, you stole it. After looking at the pictures, you got a great deal. The best part about your boat compared to mine is that there is water around yours. I have not had a chance to even start it up yet.

Kyle,
I have A/C. Once again have not used it yet but the guy I bought the boat from said I would be glad its there so I'll take him at his word.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Skim,
Like I said before, if that thing floats, you stole it. After looking at the pictures, you got a great deal. The best part about your boat compared to mine is that there is water around yours. I have not had a chance to even start it up yet.

Kyle,
I have A/C. Once again have not used it yet but the guy I bought the boat from said I would be glad its there so I'll take him at his word.

You will definitely be happy to have it... It gets extremely hot in the cabin especially if you're docked somewhere for the day!

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wanted to ask you both as well if you guys have standard rotating props or if you have one prop that goes clock wise and the other counter clockwise?

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

Do you have any pics of the interior... Mine was REALLY bad when I got it- Windows were leaking, etc...

Hey Kyle,

Scroll up a bit and you'll see the interior pics I posted on 9/15. It is clean, no cushion holes or tears, fridge, dual elec/alcohol stove, micro all work. The head has a new porta potti and is also clean. Needs a fresh water system pump. The windows and hatches are tight, too. We just went through hurricane Irene and it stayed dry inside.

About the props, I don't know cause they're in the water! It has micro tune (I think that's what it's called) to keep both motors running at the same RPMs and reduce vibration, but I haven't tried it yet.

The A/C is cooooollllllllldd! But, the seller said it doesn't have heat. Again, I haven't tried it, but it doesn't make sense to me there is one without the other. A/C unit is under one of the bench seats.

Questions (because I haven't looked yet)--where would the fresh water tank and water heater be located or best be installed? And, is there access to the fuel sending units in fuel tanks?

Bruno1950

Cadet

Kyle,
Not sure but I think the standard is counter-rotating props on twin drives.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Kyle,

Scroll up a bit and you'll see the interior pics I posted on 9/15. It is clean, no cushion holes or tears, fridge, dual elec/alcohol stove, micro all work. The head has a new porta potti and is also clean. Needs a fresh water system pump. The windows and hatches are tight, too. We just went through hurricane Irene and it stayed dry inside.

About the props, I don't know cause they're in the water! It has micro tune (I think that's what it's called) to keep both motors running at the same RPMs and reduce vibration, but I haven't tried it yet.

The A/C is cooooollllllllldd! But, the seller said it doesn't have heat. Again, I haven't tried it, but it doesn't make sense to me there is one without the other. A/C unit is under one of the bench seats.

Questions (because I haven't looked yet)--where would the fresh water tank and water heater be located or best be installed? And, is there access to the fuel sending units in fuel tanks?

I believe the Fresh Water Tank is somewhere in the engine bay.. I have not had time to investigate that but I will- For the Hot Water Heater, mine is located under the stairs that you walk down into the cabin. the stairs just pull out and there sits a 5 gallon hot water tank!

I have never heard of Micro Tune before.. That's actually one of the things I was looking to do this winter was to somehow add an engine sync system.

Sounds like the inside is extremely sound, that's great!!

I am wondering if it's just an A/C Unit, I know that some companies sell A/C only. I believe the reverse system uses engine coolant to get heat to the cabin.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kyle,
Not sure but I think the standard is counter-rotating props on twin drives.

I had thought that was the case as well. Mine however has both props clockwise. I heard from a few other people that in the 1987s and 88s that they were built like this and it was normal.. Just wondering if I would get better performance by switching them out or if it's even possible.

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

I believe the Fresh Water Tank is somewhere in the engine bay.. I have not had time to investigate that but I will- For the Hot Water Heater, mine is located under the stairs that you walk down into the cabin. the stairs just pull out and there sits a 5 gallon hot water heater.

I haven't seen the fresh water tank in the engine bay/, but will take a better look next time I go to the boat. As for the steps and H2O heater, my steps spiral down from the port side, rather than straight down the center. Are yours the same? If so, is there a latch or something? If I remember correctly the carpet covers the entire steps, so I'll have to see if it seperates from the carpet on the floor.

I'm spending next weekend on the boat and will gain lots more knowledge to share.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't seen the fresh water tank in the engine bay/, but will take a better look next time I go to the boat. As for the steps and H2O heater, my steps spiral down from the port side, rather than straight down the center. Are yours the same? If so, is there a latch or something? If I remember correctly the carpet covers the entire steps, so I'll have to see if it seperates from the carpet on the floor.

I'm spending next weekend on the boat and will gain lots more knowledge to share.

Hmmm.. I'll have to check for the fresh water tank, if you find a location, please let me know!

My steps spiral down as well from the port side. The top two steps should be able to be pulled away from all the others- as long as nobody glued the carpet down to all three steps! Mine thankfully was cut out- I have heard of others though not having it cut out and having to make a cut- but verify it's actually there before making the cut! So far in all the ones I have seen they are there.

Let me know what you figure out of the weekend and I'll do the same.

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

Kyle, will definitely let you know what I find out. Can't wait to get there and tear it apart to find everything!

I am wondering how many configurations of this boat that they made? Even though our boats are a year apart, it seems they are the same. But, BsnB says his steps go down the centerline.

How about yours, Bruno? Does anyone know how many different configs Chris Craft made?

Bruno1950

Cadet

Mine spiral down from the port side also. They are fully carpeted so don't really know what is behind them. I still find it amazing that boat manufacturers or some after market outfit has not put together some kind of user's manual for these things. You can get books for the engines but not the boat itself. I guess for after market its not profitable for them since the voulme is not there. I asked the original owner of my boat if he had ever heard of anything that Chris Craft had put together and he said no.
As a side note, we learned quite a bit about the construction of a boat this past weekend. We bought an old, very damaged 25 foot runabout because we needed the trailer it was sitting on for a fishing boat we acquired last year. We took a sawsall to it so that we could get it in the dumpster. Dismantling that was like a class in fiberglas boat construction.

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

It seems there is a configuration difference between the 283 and the 284. I think the 283 was only built in 1987 and did not have the mid-cabin and was also configured as an inboard. My water tank and water heater are located in the engine compartment aft of the engines.

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

boat pics 036.jpgMy Amerosport 283

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interior Pics prior to the start of renovation. You can see the steps are at the centerline. Sorry about the second photo being sideways...:facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 0

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll try to post some after pics of the interior when I can get them uploaded. The interior was pretty rough, but tearing it all out and redoing it was pretty satisfying. Mostly cosmetic issues and some deep cleaning. I've also redone the table, but it didn't come out as well as I would like, so I'm redoing it with a different veneer. I want to bring in a little more of that Chris Craft Mahogany look to the interior.

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

From astern

Attachments

• FixinII.jpg
    FixinII.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are a couple of interior pics sowing the renovated interior. More work to do, but it's a start!:D Sorry for the multiple posts, but if I take too long writing, iBoats kicks me off for some reason.
renovated interior.jpggalley.jpgtable.jpgcompass rose.jpg

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

BsnB, man you did an awesome job! I like the colors you chose, and the table looks real nice. Was the fridge already black or did you get a new front for it? I really like the contrast. It looks as though the interiors are the same, except for the mid-ship berth and steps configuration. And the exterior is also very similar. Thanks for the pics, gets my juices flowing to update the cosmetics on the Joint Custody. Was supposed to spend my birthday this weekend on her, but the rain has put a damper on that. It'll have to wait until next weekend.