1987 Chris Craft Amerosport 284 Recondition Thread

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Chris Craft Amerosport 284 Recondition Thread

Skim,
I'm not sue what you mean by bladder/pressure tank. I've got a fresh water tank back in the engine compartment. Solid plastic tank. Connected to it is a VSP pump which senses a change in the pressure and keep water flowing. I thought the pressure regulator would replace any kind of pressure tank?

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

BSnB,

You are correct, the VSP pump with its internal pressure regulator, or a fixed speed pump with the addition of a pump speed regulator takes the place of the bladder/pressure tank (also known as accumulator tank). This is the decision I am wrestling with, which way to go, and seems like the cost is similar. The only question is where would I put the accumulator/bladder tank which seems to be the size of one and a half footballs (without the pointed ends). My fresh water tank is plastic and is inside the cabinet in the head. I haven't looked under the mid-ships berth where Kyle said he found his metal tank.

Also, after googling fresh water system diagrams, I have found that if a marina water hook up is installed, it should be connected after the system pump. Or for use only as a separate wash down system. I will probably not add this hook up because I have read alot about problems similar to Mustang's.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not sure if my problem is with the system or the fact that it appears to be original 1987 hardware, and is simply in need of a replacement (old worn out fittings etc.). Once I filled the tank, the hot water heater and pressure works great.

I wonder if like most tanks on boats, they used different materials. My fresh water tank is steel, not plastic.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys,

Sorry I have not been on in a while, dealing with work and not fun stuff!

My friend has a fresh water system hook-up on his 96 28 foot Sea Ray Sun Dancer. I don't think he has had any problems, I'll try to get in touch with him and see how he did is. He use to hate the fresh water holding tank because so many smells would accumulate and it's a lot to maintain to make sure the smell does not get there in the first place.

I am a bit worried about my fresh water tank under the mid berth, mostly because of it being metal and it looks like the date stamped on it is 1987- there is already some rust on the outside of the tank with a little bit of water seeping into the bottom of the boat near where that bilge pump is NOT working, lol..... I think this winter I may replace it with a plastic tank and upgrade the pump, I may be paranoid but sometimes I can hear the pump hiccup like it just chewed metal or rust up.

25th Mustang - the separate controls sounds awesome! There have been a few times of when I was coming into dock to quickly and pulled back to get into reverse and went to far with the throttle and it screwed up my whole angle, lol it really stinks especially when people are watching..... :(

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

A fresh water tank does sound like quite a bit to keep it "fresh" and clean. It is also a necessity if you plan to spend any time on the boat and would like decent water for drinking/cleaning/showering.

The seperate controls are nice, and priceless when you don't need any additional throttle input over idle or low RPM. When you need the throttle input it just maens two more controls to reach for. The last boat I spent any time on was a 24' express with a single Mercruiser I/O, having the single control. Much different feel than the controls on my boat.

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well...it's Saturday morning and I'm sitting on the boat, drinking coffee, trying to decide which project I want to tackle first. Above the V berth I have an opposing pair of open storage bolsters. I bought some plexiglas panels and bypass track because the Admiral wants doors on them. I also bought another small bilge pump and float switch to install as a backup in the engine bay. I've got a couple of stainless flush mount rod holders that I want to cut holes for and I want to look for a city water hook up.

...I think I'll go fishing! :D

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Guys,

Well first let me apologize by saying sorry for not being on the site for a while- I have been extremely busy with the boat. Re-painted it and installed some new windows, also installed brand new carpeting, shower sump, bilge pumps, and soon new engine gauges. One of my really good friends who owns a body shop did the re-paint on it and he did an AWESOME job.

Attached are some new pictures-

HouseBoat6.jpg

HomeBoat.jpg

HouseBoat5.jpg

SwimPlatform_Redone.jpg

NewCarpet.jpg

Bruno1950

Cadet

Beautiful. Looks like it just came from the factory. My plan was to do the same thing this winter. The guy I asked to do it is also a boat owner and his words to me were, "Wait a season before you get the hull restored because you're going to spend the first season learning how to handle the boat which means possibly running into things, etc". I'm hoping that doesn't happen but since this will be my first season handling a boat in about 30 years and the largest thing I handled was 18.5 feet, I'll take his advice. Thanks for sharing the pics.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow that paint job looks great!!!!

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man, that is one fine looking Chris Craft there!

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys!! Yeah I have hit the dock a few times with it already- Next year I have decided I am putting a dock guard on the dock!! Try to protect it as much as I can- plus with how much I wax the thing hopefully it will just slide, LOL-

It's truly a different boat, took me weeks to find the windows for it though but finally no more leaking in the shower! When I took the windows out they all just crumbled in my hands. I have heard from a lot of people that they can't believe its a '87-

lexusbajo

Cadet

I am also in the process of redoing an 88 284. new to the forums but have been researching for a while. The paint looks great. Hopefully by this weekend i will have the gel coat buffed out. What kind of carpet did you go with? I was thinking of marine berber but dont know how well it would hold up

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great looking paint job!!!!

Good luck, lexus. These boats are solid with some great lines to them. I'm in the process of getting mine buffed out too. At haul out next year I plan to paint some areas. The black upper band around the windows on mine has faded in spots to the point where it won't buff out anymore. I'll keep that black like kyle has done.

markscarfone

Cadet

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum. I have posted up in a few others areas but I figured I would start a "recondition" thread. The boat is nice and in great shape but needs to be updated a lot. Motors are sound w/ Twin 305s and OMC Outdrives that were just rebuilt in 2004-2005.

I am looking at replacing the carpet downstairs and re-doing all the decals on the outside of the boat along with a good buffing and wax.

One problem I am facing is that all four windows on the boat leak, not horribly, and there is no damage as of yet. But the windows are cracked straight the glass and into the window frame. Is there a way to get replacement windows or would I have to fabricate a window mold and then have glass installed?? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks iBoat!! You guys rock!
http://www.chrisparts.com/portlight.htm they sell portwindows for amerosport original windows leave message they will call you back

markscarfone

Cadet

Kyle did you have any luck getting more info about the counter-rotation?, My amerosport 284 had no out-drives when I got it ,Marina strips them before auction.

I just found a standard rotation 595.00 , (installing this weekend),..but don't know if I need another standard or a counter rotation I have the 5.7 dual setup in my 284. I know sei makes a counter lower half alpha one gen 1 and I know merc has a counter rotation kit for the lower half, but can't find out for sure if Mercrusier made one in 1987

Bruno1950

Cadet

Kyle did you have any luck getting more info about the counter-rotation?, My amerosport 284 had no out-drives when I got it ,Marina strips them before auction.

I just found a standard rotation 595.00 , (installing this weekend),..but don't know if I need another standard or a counter rotation I have the 5.7 dual setup in my 284. I know sei makes a counter lower half alpha one gen 1 and I know merc has a counter rotation kit for the lower half, but can't find out for sure if Mercrusier made one in 1987

I have an 88 Amerosport 284. Both screws rotate in the same direction.

markscarfone

Cadet

6000 sounds great I bought a 87 amerosport last year no generator nor out drives $453.00
At auction and no trailer with boat oh ya and I had to pull it to AZ from NJ with my newly acquired f350 $2500.00 fuel and wide load permits. Lol

markscarfone

Cadet

Kyle, will definitely let you know what I j out. Can't wait to get there and tear it apart to find everything!

I am wondering how many configurations of this boat that they made? Even though our boats are a year apart, it seems they are the same. But, BsnB says his steps go down the centerline.

How about yours, Bruno? Does anyone know how many different configs Chris Craft made?

I have a 1987 brochure I know that year they made a 283 & a 284
283 has center stairs
284 stairs on port with kids cabin I have the motor specs at home Ill post in the morning's I bought #9 1987 mercrusier v8 manual. And #6 alpha manual 10.00 And 25.00. That should cover all the propulsion.

Globetrottin1

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Guys,

Well first let me apologize by saying sorry for not being on the site for a while- I have been extremely busy with the boat. Re-painted it and installed some new windows, also installed brand new carpeting, shower sump, bilge pumps, and soon new engine gauges. One of my really good friends who owns a body shop did the re-paint on it and he did an AWESOME job.

Attached are some new pictures-

HouseBoat6.jpg

HomeBoat.jpg

HouseBoat5.jpg

SwimPlatform_Redone.jpg

NewCarpet.jpg

This looks fantastic! I'm having a survey performed on an '88 284 this week and I envisioned a similar paint scheme for that one if it passes muster.

Kayant

Recruit

hi.....welcome to iboats

the windows can be replaced totally.....check e-bay...and in a second im gonna check iboats for you.
if you cant find the same size or shape...get justa little bigger.

as far as the shower pump....these type of pumps are never where you cannot get into them....look under the stairs...there MUST be an acess hatch for them.
if you cant find it.....call the manufacturer.
i have called many companies.....and they love to talk boats...just keep your questions to the point...they are on the clock...forget the e-mail thing...call them.
searay, regal and bluewater were especially helpful. and since you have a chris craft....(a really amazing boat) it should be no problem.

The pump is not under the stairs that's with a hot water heater is pump for the shower is in the closet move the back wall of the closet Will be there