water problem

dguess

Seaman Apprentice
Have a OMC 3.8 Chevy motor not sure which outdrive (Ihave been trying to figure that out, any suggestions?) my problem:
I hooked muffs up to motor started and checked all gauges, everything works except water temp, I am not sure where the Sending unit is located it was starting to get dark so I did not look along time. I will tomorrow. I also noticed that the water hoses did not seem to have any pressure on them after I had shut the motor off. I ran it about 3-4 minutes. The other thing is I did not notice it peeing like I think it should. there was water coming out of a hole just below where the muffs hooked up and that was it. I am not sure where all it should be peeing.
This is the first inboard I have owned and it is a project boat, it is a 1985 Galaxie 18' 0" 225HP. I have redone all the interior and wood and I am trying to get it lake ready and double check everything. I have read several post and even tried to follow the link on the service manual but it would not load. Any help please.....

thanks,

Dan

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: water problem

Sounds like you have an impeller problem it is located in the drive. Can you post a pic of your drive for these guys to tell you which one you have? If your not getting water to the engine your sender will not respond. It cant sense air temp.

Last edited:

deves3000gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: water problem

Ok from what i have read on this fourm that hole on the bottom e of the out drive i belive you are to plug it when runing on muffs. The water lines you reffer to i guess are the ones going to the exshaust after you turn off the motor there won't be presure b/c it is not a pressur system. the pump only circulates the water though the motor and out the exshaust. unless you have a closed cooling system with antifreeze. One more thing you said you only ran the motor for a few min was there water in the block to begin with that could take a min or two to fill.