1987 Chris Craft Amerosport 284 Recondition Thread

skim61

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1987 Chris Craft Amerosport 284 Recondition Thread

Here's a question for you guys - the table is supposed to become a berth (I'm guessing for a kid or two). However, on the Joint Custody once the table drops down to the ledges, the cushions from the seat backs are not wide enough to make a completed bed. Do you have the same thing, or are my seat back cushions not the originals?

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Skim,
Mine has a fifth cushion stored below the bench. It is narrower than the rest and fits in the middle when you drop the table.

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Admiral chose the colors, of course.:) She also picked up the fabric and sewed the cushion covers. We tore out the old carpet and bought some marine carpet to match and cut and glued it to fit. Still have the trim to do, but we're making progress.
Surprisingly, the V-berth takes King sized bedding. We also bought a King size Memory Foam bed pad from Walmart and cut that to fit over the top. Amazingly comfortable.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BSnB,

You did a heck of a nice job on the interior, congrats to you and the Admiral, looks like a new cabin down there.

May I ask where you got the carpet from? I am interested in getting a new carpet for mine but I would like to get one that is comfortable but still marine proof and looks good. Great idea on the King Size memory foam too, I am sure that makes it comfortable.

Skim,

I have the same thing as BSnB, a cushion that I place on the top of the table and it converts it into a full bed without any gaps.

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kyle,
It's a marine carpet that I bought from a local boater supply store. Sold by the running foot, 6 feet wide I think. Cut to fit by laying it in place and running the edge with a razor knife. I put the floor down first and then cut another strip for each side of the walkway.
There is a little ledge at the base of the galley cabinets. I ended up cutting a thin carpet strip and glueing it there. I don't like the way it turned out. I either should have started the carpet on that ledge and rolled it down the side, or put in a wood trim piece or laminate or something.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys,

Quick question for you... Does anyone know where the Foward Bilge pump is located on these boats?? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and I do mean anywhere, LOL. There a switch for it and I cannot believe that they would not put a bilge pump on the front of this big of a boat... I have checked under the floor, and under the V-Berth, still nothing.

Thanks guys!

Kyle

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Really liking this thread guys.

BTW the gentleman who paid $6000 above, thats quite a deal on your boat!

Interesting to see they made these with inboards.

I can say this, one my 1987 vintage boat, I have counter rotating props, and counter rotating engines. They did it this way in the 80s and earlier. After the late 80s/early 90s the motors rotated the same way, and the reverse was done in the transmission/drive. As far as advantages, I hear that having the same rotation of the motors/props, can give trouble with the boat walking sideways and handeling different at slow, docking speeds. The boats tends to want to only go one way. I can't confirm this, but have heard it before.

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys,

Quick question for you... Does anyone know where the Foward Bilge pump is located on these boats?? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and I do mean anywhere, LOL. There a switch for it and I cannot believe that they would not put a bilge pump on the front of this big of a boat... I have checked under the floor, and under the V-Berth, still nothing.

Thanks guys!

Kyle

Kyle,

The forward bilge on mine is located under the bottom step on the center line directly in front of the engine room bulkhead. I'd call it more of a mid-cabin bilge and it is mounted directly to the inside of the hull there. My bottom step is actually more of a box with the two upper steps suspended above it. the top of that box toward the bulkhead is cut-out. the cut-out can be lifted with a screw driver or something else sharp. directly inside is the "forward" bilge pump.

Because your steps spiral in from the port side, it's hard to say where yours might be. When I tore out my carpeting, I found a cut-out in the plywood sole just forward of the galley as well. There was nothing inside that cutout on mine, but it also looked like a place one might mount a "forward bilge". I can't imagine any other purpose for that cut-out.

Have you pulled up your carpet under the stairs? Does you bottom step land at the center line? If so, try the top of that final step.

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mustang,

I think that I mentioned before that I have twin straight shaft Crusader V-6 4.3L inboards. My props are counter rotating. I'm pretty sure that both my engines are standard rotating and the transmission (Velvet Drives) control the rotation. This is my first twin engine boat and my first boat with inboard transmissions. I've practiced turning the boat without turning the rudders, just by controlling the engines in forward and reverse. I will say, it's pretty slick to spin that long boat on its' axis by doing nothing more that putting one engine in forward and one in reverse. The throttle/shift levers are combination controls so rather than having 4 levers to mess with i only have 2...one throttle/shift for each engine. I can see now why some people like having the throttle separate from the shifter for each engine though. I'll reserve final judgement until I've driven a twin engine boat with the individual controls.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BSnB,

I will take a look under the steps and try to pull some of the carpet up. We are re-doing the carpeting along with some of the fabric so I will look. I also have that cut out and it looks like there is a water pick up under there but it was plugged. I wonder if that's where the toilet use to pick up before it was switched over to the holding tank.

Also, on you're other post I agree completely about the throttle controls, I couldn't believe that I could spin that boat a complete 360 without steering at all, just by using the motors. Absolutely awesome feature because of the twins! However, mine are outboard/inboards.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks 25th Mustang!! It's nice to see some people that have the same boat as you and how it's setup. I ended up paying $6500 for ours, decent deal, but there are some problems that need to be worked out- I guess they are never really all worked out LOL.

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

Kyle,

I pulled the carpet up from the floor and brought it back home with me. It is in good shape, but needs a good cleaning and thought I could do it here easier. Anyway, there is an access panel in the floor by the galley, like Mustang BsnB said, with a plugged sea **** in it. I looked elsewhere for a forward bilge because there is a switch on the instrument panel, but could not find it. Do you think the switch is for the shower sump and just labeled bilge pump? I still have to find and test my shower pump once the new water system pump is installed next weekend.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like you guys are picking these boats up for good money!

Also having the twin engines is a huge plus! Mine has the 4 levers, 2 for throttle 2 for the gears shift.

I would verify your engines are both standard rotation. It makes a difference with tune ups and timing changes! I learned the hard way.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kyle,

I pulled the carpet up from the floor and brought it back home with me. It is in good shape, but needs a good cleaning and thought I could do it here easier. Anyway, there is an access panel in the floor by the galley, like Mustang BsnB said, with a plugged sea **** in it. I looked elsewhere for a forward bilge because there is a switch on the instrument panel, but could not find it. Do you think the switch is for the shower sump and just labeled bilge pump? I still have to find and test my shower pump once the new water system pump is installed next weekend.

Skim61,

Wooohooo! I finally found that bilge pump and boy is it small.... It's in the Aft Cabin/mid cabin. You have to pull the whole sleeping pillow out and under there you will find a few access panels- One for the bilge pump and float switch and one for the fresh tank water pump. My fresh water holding tank is under there as well... Still Metal- which may explain why the water always tastes horrible even when just brushing your teeth.

You would think a forward bilge pump would be in the forward area near the main sleeping quarters not under a aft cabin bed...? Weird anyways it needs to be replaced because I pulled up on the float switch and that's not working either.

Also, for the shower sump, I have a switch on my electrical panel for that- unfortunately that is not working either so I will need to replace the shower sump as well. Little maintenance here and there LOL

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like you guys are picking these boats up for good money!

Also having the twin engines is a huge plus! Mine has the 4 levers, 2 for throttle 2 for the gears shift.

I would verify your engines are both standard rotation. It makes a difference with tune ups and timing changes! I learned the hard way.

25thmustang,

I definitely picked it up for a decent price but it does need a lot of work. I am having one of my buddies do a re-paint on it so I'll post pics up as soon as it's done, with some new port holes because the current ones are cracked.

How does the gear shifts work? I have never seen a boat before that had gear shift levers as well, I am also fairly new to boating as you can tell LOL-

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Kyle,

In regards to your shower sump, if it is anything like mine, it is merely a small bilge pump with direct access overboard. I'm unsure if they made shower sumps that would go to a holding tank, but mine is just in the head floor (below a teak removable panel) that is turned on by a switch in the head, and has a direct shot overboard.

My forward most bilge pump sits just in front of the aft cabin area, maybe 2-3'. I think the idea is not a lot of boats will collect water forward of that, as they naturally tend to sit stern down.

From what I gather, in order to get the fresh water system to "taste right" it's a bit of work. Think of it like a pool, the tank, especially if not used, or winterized, needs to be flushed numerous times, and most likely with cleaners. Then I'm under the impression the water in there should be replaced often, and possibly treated. My fresh water tank is full now, and I use it for dishes, brushing teeth (bottled water for anything that hitsmy mouth though) washing up etc... I avoid ingesting it at all costs.

The gear shifts on mine are positioned like this. On the right side (starboard, for those nautical guys) I have two side by side levers. These control the engine throttle. On the left side of the helm (port of course) I have two side by side levers. These control the transmissions.The right side controls sit at the bottom of the lever arc (idle for the motors) and run to the top of the lever arc (WOT). The left side controls sit in the center of the arc (nuetral). I push them down for reverse, or forward for... forward. When docking, assuming little wind and current I either turn my body towards the boats center, and use jusy my right hand on the gear shifters. Other times I will stand with my back to the helm and use my right and left hand while standing in front of the gear shifters. If I need any RPM, I again use one hand, put it in gear, then apply the amount of the throttle I need, back to idle, then out of gear.

It all sounds confusing, but once you get to used to it, it makes sense. Some boats have the throttles/gear levers in different positions as well. I thought I had a photo, but my photos appear to be half gone from Photobucket...

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

Skim61,

Wooohooo! I finally found that bilge pump and boy is it small.... It's in the Aft Cabin/mid cabin. You have to pull the whole sleeping pillow out and under there you will find a few access panels- One for the bilge pump and float switch and one for the fresh tank water pump. My fresh water holding tank is under there as well... Still Metal- which may explain why the water always tastes horrible even when just brushing your teeth.

You would think a forward bilge pump would be in the forward area near the main sleeping quarters not under a aft cabin bed...? Weird anyways it needs to be replaced because I pulled up on the float switch and that's not working either.

Also, for the shower sump, I have a switch on my electrical panel for that- unfortunately that is not working either so I will need to replace the shower sump as well. Little maintenance here and there LOL

Thanks, Kyle, some great information. I do have the small wood access panel in the head in front of the cabinet and was assuming that is where the sump pump is located. Like Mustang said, it should be a direct shot out the side of the boat. Also, my fresh water pump (missing now) location is where you said, under the cushion in the aft berth. I haven't looked for the second bilge pump there yet, but will this weekend when I get down to the boat. The fresh water tank is plastic and inside the head cabinet. Also, the previous owner took out the sea toilet and put in a porta-potti, but left the hoses sticking through the cabinet front. Definitely need to take care of that mess!

Boy, I can't wait until my boat is closer to my home like all of yours. Right now I have to drive an hour and forty-five minutes to get there, but that will only last until end of November when it will come out of the water and get moved closer (maybe even my yard) for the winter. Then, I will have the fun you guys are having replacing everything and digging into every nook and cranny!

Last edited:

BSnB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Skim61,

My boat is also about 2 hours away. Hauling materials, tools and supplies can be quite a challenge. I've debated trailering mine closer to home, but the Marina has offered me a pretty good deal on haul out, power washing, winterizing and winter storage.

My boat is set up as Mustang describes. My shower sump discharges directly overboard. The galley sink does as well, but it's a gravity drain through a different discharge hose. My fresh water tank is astern and is a plastic composite of some sort. I rinse it frequently, but I probably should run some Clorox through it from time to time too in order to keep it fresh. I'm thinking of installing a city water hook up so that when I'm at the dock I've got a constant supply of fresh water. I've seen some similar to those installed on RV's. Any thoughts?

I like the idea, Mustang, of separate throttle controls and shifters for each engine. With the combination shift/throttle I find that I sometimes apply more throttle than I want just moving into gear. My throttle/shift levers seem a bit tight or stiff as well. Any idea how to lubricate them or adjust them so that they operate more smoothly?

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

BSnB,

I have been researching fresh water systems and found that if you add the hose hook up deck plate (which can be found at most boat stores) make sure you also get a pressure regulator or reducer so that the marina water pressure does not cause problems in your system. The one I am contemplating fits right between the end of the hose and the deck plate and includes a cleanable filter. Of course, you can also get brass fittings to go inline.

I am wondering though where the bladder/pressure tank is located on these boats. Or, if I can't find one on mine, whether I should get the variable speed pump which makes it unnecessary to have the bladder tank. It seems that the cost will be the same for the VSP vs. the regular pump plus bladder.

Here's another question, anyone know what size tubing is used in the fresh water supply system on the Amerosports?

Last edited:

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

My boat has a city water hook up, and yes it needs a reducer for the pressure. I had issues with mine, when I got the fresh water system up and running, and simply disconnected it. It was leaking there and wouldn't pressurize (not to mention was filling the bilge with water, lol).

I feel for you guys being that far away. I have a 20 minute drive to the boat, and even that makes getting there and working on it a bit tough. You still have to dedicate half a day.

Having seperate throttles and shifters does remove the error in applying too much throttle when switching gear. At the same time, you can get a bit confused when your going from shifter to throttle and back.