Trim Tabs?? Maybe, Maybe Not... AmeroSport 284

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,

Got a question for all of you. Chris Craft AmeroSport 284 28 ft boat twin OMC 305s)

I have been following the Bennett Trim Tabs closely and now they offer an automatic trim tab controller. The trim tabs that are on my boat right now really feel like they are completely useless. They don't help straighten the boat out and they don't help at all with planing. I am not sure if they are factory trim tabs or what they are... I do know they work, I can see them move up and down when out of the water. The mounting location is extremely weird too... I always thought they were above the propellers... The guy from bennett seemed confused by it as well.
2011-08-27_17.18.26 (Custom).jpg
So I guess I am looking for recommendations on what would help the boat sail easier and to help it plane a bit quicker? Also, are the trim tabs correct in the location? The guy at Bennett said they should be moved to the outsides of the stern drives.

Here is an attached picture.. (Shhh... the boat is a little dirty right now, don't worry those Stern drives will be repainted in a few weeks).:facepalm:

Thanks!

Kyle

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trim Tabs?? Maybe, Maybe Not... AmeroSport 284

Also, are the trim tabs correct in the location? The guy at Bennett said they should be moved to the outsides of the stern drives.

The tabs should be installed close to the outboard corners of the transom. This may help with stability; with the tabs in the center as they are now, the boat will tend to fall to the side as it tries to balance on the center. If the tabs are located at the outboard corners they provide a stable lifting force.

The tabs you have now look far too small for a 28 foot boat. I'd expect them to be at least twice as large.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Whoever installed those tabs didn't have a clue- I'm not surprised they're useless. They need to go toward the outside of the transom, away from the drives. They also look way too small.

Download some Bennett installation instructions. I think that will clarify things for you.

One correction- trim tabs won't help you plane. The outdrive's trim control does that (drive tucked in/down to launch, then bumped up/out as you come on plane). Tabs are used primarily to control the boat's side to side trim. Just occurred to me... while properly installed tabs won't help you plane, THAT pair might actually be screwing things up. They're just all wrong.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL... OK So I am glad that I am not crazy for thinking that those were a complete mess. I just purchased the boat a few weeks ago so I am trying to clean up the "handy man" specials that I am finding.

If I wanted to remove those and re-install a nice pair of Bennett's... What would the procedure be? What size should I go with? and how do I seal up all those holes from those trim tabs...??

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol....those tabs.....wtf?

you can use the moptors and pistons....just change the size of the tabs....

remove the pistons and tabs....if you shine those puny things up...you might be able to use them as a mirror some where...lol

seal all holes with 3m5200. actually with the hydraulic hoses thru hull.....i would mix up some peanut butter (resin paste) and fill taht way...then either gell or 5200 over them

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Are you sure the ones you have aren't Bennett? If they are, you might be able to relocate the trim cylinders and just buy new hinges and tabs.

The tab itself is just a metal plate with the edges turned up for stiffness. I know of at least one other boater who increased the size of his tabs simply by having a local guy fabricate and weld new plates to the bottom of the existing ones.

Seriously, I'd talk to that Bennett guy and get his recommendation on size. Their website claims 24x12 fro your boat, but that seems awfully big.

Best of luck!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Agree with everyone, those tabs are installed so ridiculously wrong I can't believe it :facepalm:

One correction- trim tabs won't help you plane.
I usually agree with your posts but that's uh . . . false. Even with an express cruiser get a stop watch and try drives down, with and without full down tab . . . Get back to us ;)

Put it this way. My boat will plane at 11 MPH with tabs and 17 MPH without. 23 footer, big tabs, but still . . .

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL - Yeah those tabs don't look big enough by any means, I'm not sure if they are even big enough to use as a mirror LOL!

I am not sure if they are Bennett or not. It looks like it may have the old style bennett control panel, just the four single black buttons in a square shape. No way to tell if they are actually down or not or what level they are at. I'll take a look tomorrow when I go to the boat- I'll talk to the guy at Bennett though and see what he says, he told me that they recommend 24x12 as well if they will fit. I'll post up a pic of the room I have available and see what you guys think...

Thanks for all the help!! I have been looking at pics of other peoples trim tabs and from what I can see... whoever did the install is a joke.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

may i also suggest a nice acid wash and a bottom paint for your vessel sir

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I should mention... I never saw anything in the receipts about trim tab installs.... It didn't come like that from the factory right???

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

may i also suggest a nice acid wash and a bottom paint for your vessel sir

Yes you may... What products should I use?? I just purchased the boat about 3 weeks ago LOL- I am still trying to learn everything... :facepalm:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol....no....it did not

QC

Supreme Mariner

No way factory.

Last edited:

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I can't imagine that having been factory, never seen an install in the same manner.

My Inboard boat likes the tabs for getting on plane, but I'm unfamiliar with an I/O set up.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Agree with everyone, those tabs are installed so ridiculously wrong I can't believe it :facepalm:

I usually agree with your posts but that's uh . . . false. Even with an express cruiser get a stop watch and try drives down, with and without full down tab . . . Get back to us ;)

Put it this way. My boat will plane at 11 MPH with tabs and 17 MPH without. 23 footer, big tabs, but still . . .

I stand corrected. You are right. :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Yes you may... What products should I use?? I just purchased the boat about 3 weeks ago LOL- I am still trying to learn everything... :facepalm:

dont laugh.....this is what the pros use for an acid wash

randomsummerpicsandfire068.jpg

this is what we use to polish the gellcoat..(sides of the hull)

randomsummerpicsandfire066.jpg

this is the buffer/sander

randomsummerpicsandfire074.jpg

and this is bottom paint

http://www.iboats.com/Interlux-Fibe...0513533--**********.213260037--view_id.484713

after the acid wash....(fear full safety equipment)...sand the old bottom paint with 120 grit to get all the rough edges from where the paint is chipping away...and scuff the old paint then after taping the lines....just roll the stuff on with a roller....most do one coat....i do two....looks like a brand new boat....and saves you 1100 in bottom painting costs !

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

who ever installed those trim tabs was an idiot. also, you can find tabs without the cylinders cheap on ebay as a method to get larger tabs

I would pull the tabs, seal the holes, and install correctly (outer edges of the transom). you can use your existing cylinders, lines, pumps, etc. I suspect you will need new lines though unless the lines are long enough.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome guys, Thanks so much for all the advice. The boat is out of the water now thanks to the wonderful hurricane weather- We are up in NY. So it will be easier to get that acid wash and bottom coat done before winter! Also, I'll check the tabs and see if they are Bennett, if so I'll check ebay like suggested and see if I can install new tabs... Guess this will need to be an iBoat Write up!!!! :)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Hey, Kyle- flesh out your profile. Where in NY?

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Absolutely, will do!

We are in Scotia, NY near the Mohawk River but the boat is located in Catskill, NY on the Hudson River. Are you in NY as well?