Trim Tabs?? Maybe, Maybe Not... AmeroSport 284

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Re: Trim Tabs?? Maybe, Maybe Not... AmeroSport 284

Yes, that's what I would do, install the two new Trim Tabs with new actuators (rams) and tee the actuators into the tubing for the inboard one on each side.

It's actually done quite a lot on boats where there is not a good straight run of transom to install the appropriate sized Trim Tab.

P1010149.jpg

P1010148.jpg

l_317-1.jpg

Bayliner38703888MotorYacht1b.jpg

Tom
Bennett Marine

steve grono

Recruit

Hey guys,

Got a question for all of you. Chris Craft AmeroSport 284 28 ft boat twin OMC 305s)

I have been following the Bennett Trim Tabs closely and now they offer an automatic trim tab controller. The trim tabs that are on my boat right now really feel like they are completely useless. They don't help straighten the boat out and they don't help at all with planing. I am not sure if they are factory trim tabs or what they are... I do know they work, I can see them move up and down when out of the water. The mounting location is extremely weird too... I always thought they were above the propellers... The guy from bennett seemed confused by it as well.
View attachment 111580
So I guess I am looking for recommendations on what would help the boat sail easier and to help it plane a bit quicker? Also, are the trim tabs correct in the location? The guy at Bennett said they should be moved to the outsides of the stern drives.

Here is an attached picture.. (Shhh... the boat is a little dirty right now, don't worry those Stern drives will be repainted in a few weeks).:facepalm:

Thanks!

Kyle

kyle, i have a 1988 284 amerosport. will be happy to get you pics, and data

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

If you'll sign onto BennettTrimTabs.com, you'll have every question you've ever had answered in their FAQ.

You ever notice how every large planing hull uses hydraulic trim tabs--Sundancers, Cigarette type boats, etc.? They couldn't ever plane off without them. I've had a set for years on a 18' I/O, and it's the best $450 I ever spent. Benefits:
1. Planes your boat off faster--at much lower speeds. The boat pulls like it's got 50 hp more.
2. Allows you to maintain a very slow speed with the nose down--for sightseeing @ 8-10 mph.
3. Boat rides like it's 4' longer. Much smoother ride.
4. You can come up on rogue waves, tuck the trim tabs down, go over the waves, and trim the nose back up. No more gut wrenching waves.
5. Set the power trim where you want it for cruising purposes, and use the trim tabs when starting off. After planing off, retract the tabs.
6. Get a couple of fat women on one side of the boat, you can level the boat out.

Get'em and you'll never be without them. Of course, they're N/A on high dollar bass boats, small aluminum fishing boats and pontoon boats--not used.

Whoever installed them on the boat in question were Bozo's. They're very easily installed--even by an amateur like me.