Stingray 180 or Bayliner 185

Sirovc2

Seaman Apprentice
I'm torn... I am buying a used boat and I'm stuck between the following:

2007 Stingray 180 w/ 3.0 Volvo with approx 15 hours on it for $9200

or

2006 Bayliner 185 w/ 3.0 Merc with 150 hours on it. The Bayliner shows more wear and tear, but has an upgraded prop and stereo. I have it down to $9500

I'm leaning towards the Stingray- it's newer, cleaner, have heard Volvo is better than Merc, and that Stingray is just a touch better than Bayliner. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stingray 180 or Bayliner 185

The merc. is better because the "parts are cheaper and easier to find".
the extra footage, even inches, makes a diffference, in rough water, BUT! resale price will be higher with the stingray!! there is a stigma about bayliner. They are one of! "the most dependable, production boats" on the market! Bayliners, start and run,when more expensive boats don't. If it were I. I would buy the stingray!! Good luck with that volvo!! My 0.2

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Stingray! I haven't heard many good comments on Bayliners mass produced alot sold kinda like Vega's & Pinto's.

Action

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like the look of the stingray a bit more then the Bayliner, but that is just personal preference. I do know the bayliner 185 is a very popular boat, they must be doing something right. Tough call. As far as the motor's go, both are good unit's but it will be cheaper to maintain a merc (in terms of parts costs).

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

For what it's worth we were looking for similar size boats this last fall/winter. We finally purchased a 2005 Bayliner with a 4.3 Merc (~50 hours), trailer and a GPS/fish-finder unit. We paid $9,500 for the package. After hearing from many others on this forum, and in our area (Twin Cities, MN) we decided the Bayliner was a good value. Agreed, most folks said Bayliner had a "stigma" attached to it. But those in the know said it was unwarranted and was leftover from the days - many years ago as I understand it - when they put sub-par engines in them.

Sirovc2

Seaman Apprentice

For what it's worth we were looking for similar size boats this last fall/winter. We finally purchased a 2005 Bayliner with a 4.3 Merc (~50 hours), trailer and a GPS/fish-finder unit. We paid $9,500 for the package. After hearing from many others on this forum, and in our area (Twin Cities, MN) we decided the Bayliner was a good value. Agreed, most folks said Bayliner had a "stigma" attached to it. But those in the know said it was unwarranted and was leftover from the days - many years ago as I understand it - when they put sub-par engines in them.

That sounds like a nice deal for $9500. You got the same boat, albeit, a year older, which is no big deal with the bigger motor for the same price as I'm looking at.
One of my concerns with the Stingray is the porpoising that I commonly hear are an issue with there boats.
I also have an 07 Bayliner 185 I'm looking at w/ the 3.0 litre. It is a bank repo and they will only go as low $10200... Just want to get this over with....

or... I'm looking at getting a 175 and then put a swim platform on... I don't know what to do. getting sick of looking to be quite honest. There are five of us, (wife, and three little ones) and the 175 would be OK for now, but when they are older???

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

stroke, glad you found a boat that works for you.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I've heard the Stingray hull design really makes the most of a 3.0.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would go with the Stingray. Less wear and tear for less money sounds like a better deal. It does also have a better name and to some people that matters (not me). The upgraded radio should not even be considered as a motivator. The upgraded prop is good but I would not let it steer me to that boat either.The prop and radio can easily be upgraded on any boat at a later time.
Getting out in the water is the most important factor, choose the one you like best.:)

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are five of us, (wife, and three little ones) and the 175 would be OK for now, but when they are older???

Where will you be boating? If there is much boat traffic, I'll wager a bet your wife will not like either of these boats. They are very small, light boats and will be a rough ride in chop and scary in heavy chop. On a calm, quiet, small lake, then OK. Anything else..... not sure - with three small kids, a deeper, heavier, longer boat is what I'd find.

19'-20', 2000-2004 w. 4.3l or larger engine. Deeper cockpit and bow. Same price range, just a few years older is all. Much more boat and won't have to upgrade in a few years when kids grow AND friends are along.

You can find a nearly "like new" boat that age if you look around.

BeeLiner*87

Cadet

Our '87 Bayliner 1950 has a 3.0 and has been great for the times I have used her. No probs save for a broken belt that luckily I had port jumper box on board(PHEW!). She moves and stays afloat in the canal. Def have to watch for the chops being shallow. All in all a great pleasure boat that i would recommend for any starter or small fam.
Myself being 6'9" I do get a little cramped and I am sure I look a little off behind the wheel but what the dif. I got her and trailer for 2K.
Nothing but good times thus far and looking for more...

I would prob go a little bigger if I were you...room to grow.

Have fun!!:)

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Bayliners have a stigma because they are built cheap as a pricepoint boat to get people on the water.

they cut corners in construction and options. Plus they are very light boats and suck on rough water compared to a Sea Ray, Regal, Fourwinns. However, they are very good for their target market. Their engine package offerings are the same Merc line that anyone else can offer, so the engines are not the problem.

The stingray has a performance hull on it. Size to size and Engine to Engine their hull design will eb a bit faster, however this will give you a rough ride because the hull gais speed by lifting more of the boat out of the water. Like a Baja or other performance style boat.

Also, the 3.0 can be very disapointing when you get 4 adults on your boat.

Before you buy, please go drive a 4.3L Equipped Sea Ray, Regal, or Fourwinns.
Not to say to buy one I guess, but just so you know what you are not choosing to afford and what you should be comparing your purchase to.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Both the SR and BL have their good points. The Stingray is not a traditional Deep V and thus will have its own quirks but will be faster. I looked at brand new StingRays in 2008 for the first time and thought they were built exceptionally cheaply to the point of suprise. Also the 180 I seem to recall is the RX model which is a notch under the Stingray 185 and truly an entry level model. All that said, personally I like speed and the fact that there are few Stingrays around here so would go Stingray over Bayliner just not the 180 and never a 3.0 but there are probably 100:1 BL's to SR for sale making the pickings slim. My bet is that because you have three kids you will be ultra cramped in just a few years and will quickly get 2 footitus. You have a decent sized budget for a first boat and I would bet you could do better and bigger than both of these basic packages especialy engine-wise. I wouldn't worry about any sort of Bayliner Stigma. I see that as a great opportunity to take advantage of low resale value which is great when buying used. A lot of folks that perpetuate the stigma never owned one or bought a second hand, neglected one. Here is an interesting comparison article. Unfortunatly the Stingray isnt there but they liked the BL 185. http://www.boatingmag.com/article.asp?section_id=8&article_id=376&page_number=1

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like my Stingray a lot. Add the sport tabs or a foil to the outdrive and you will have no porpoising.

If you all love boating as much as many of us, and decide to upgrade later, which will give you the most value towards your next boat?

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bayliners have a stigma because they are built cheap as a pricepoint boat to get people on the water.

they cut corners in construction and options. Plus they are very light boats and suck on rough water compared to a Sea Ray, Regal, Fourwinns. However, they are very good for their target market.
Ha! Frankly I've yet to start up my '05 Bayliner, or put it in the water - so I really can't dispute your assessment. But I did find it pretty humorous the way you tore up Bayliners, and then wrap it up with the compliment (?!): "However, they are very good for their target market."

What's their target market...ignorant people that can't afford a Sea Ray? I'm sure that wasn't your intent, but it's how it comes across to a guy that bought a boat manufactured by a company that "cut corners", and that "sucks on rough water". Don't get me wrong, I knew going into it I was buying a boat that some feel is not in the same class as some of the other brand names mentioned here, but it's still funny to see a guy write this stuff.

Just curious, have you owned a Bayliner?

Sirovc2

Seaman Apprentice

How does a 2007 Bayliner 185 w/ 3.0L with 50 hours for $10K sound??

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

What's their target market...ignorant people that can't afford a Sea Ray? I'm sure that wasn't your intent, but it's how it comes across to a guy that bought a boat manufactured by a company that "cut corners", and that "sucks on rough water". Don't get me wrong, I knew going into it I was buying a boat that some feel is not in the same class as some of the other brand names mentioned here, but it's still funny to see a guy write this stuff.

Just curious, have you owned a Bayliner?

Target Market = Folks looking to get onto the water for the first time on the cheap because they are not sure how often they will use a boat.

Bayliner is made by the same parent corporation that Makes Sea Ray...I am sure you can understand the higherarchy there.

I personally didn't because I was familiar with them. I knew I was goign to use a boat very often when I purchased my first and had friends and family that either own or have owned them.

If you want to know about how its goign to ride in rough water, and how the construction is compared to the afformentioned boats. Look at the dry weight foot to foot, Assuming the 18foot bayliner and 18foot Sea Ray have the same engine package... you will see a noticeable weight difference. That will make a large impact on ride quality.

Sorry if I ruffeled your feathers, but seriously given their price, is it hard to believe that they are an entry level boat that has been designed to keep production and material cost down? This means cutting corners and making it as cheap as possible.

Can I ask you if you have been on Sea Ray, Regal, Fourwinns and then on a Bayliner of the same size in a relatively short time period?

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

How does a 2007 Bayliner 185 w/ 3.0L with 50 hours for $10K sound??

Overpriced. For that price you should be getting one with a 4.3. Contact a dealer and get a Price quote on a new one. I think an 09 with a 3.0 on a trailer will only run you in the 13's.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I think posting how you are going to use the boat would be more of a gauge to see if your looking at the right boat rather than posting about particular boats for sale. There will always be a boat for sale.