Trim Cylinder Rebuild Help

RRitt

Captain
Re: Trim Cylinder Rebuild Help

It is easy if your boat has never been in saltwater, has never been in polluted water, has never been in acidic water, and has always had a good anode. But if you can see any galvanic corrosion (looks like limestone deposits) then the worst place on entire engine is the trim cylinder and lower trim mounting shaft. Galvanic corrosion can turn a one hour easy job into a 16 hour nightmare.

If you have lost or missing centering ring from top of cover then don't bother trying until you have found a replacement.

TWFisher

Seaman

Well......as my luck would have it, I have all of the above. But, the trim cylinder looks to be in good shape. I need to look at it closer but didn't see any corrossion that was of concern. I' not sure what the center ring is though. Im gona take a picture and get back with you. What's in side the cyl? Simple set up? Just a shaft and o rings? Nothing pressed or anything like that?

RRitt

Captain

do you have the socket to fit the 12 point flange bolts? If so then check each bolt. It should take a very slight amount of torque to turn them and then they should spin freely. If they aren't free spinning in 1/4 turn or less then you are in for a hard job. Add 2-4 hours for each bolt that doesn't spin free. If 3 or more don't spin then you will probably need to machine out the old cylinder sleeve too .... add another 2-6 hours for that. And if all the bolts are stiff then shaft problems are an almost sure thing too. In a nutshell ... freshwater means you can do it on the boat in an hour. Saltwater means you'll be lucky to finish in two days.

TWFisher

Seaman

Yeah,,, I just tried those 12pt bolts and they are not coming out unless they are snapped and drilled out. It this what yoy were talking about? Looks like the motor will have to come off inorder to get a drill in there. It this a common approach or are there some tricks?