Changing the waterpump in a 1995 Merc 115 outboard=a difficult job??

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I fired up my motor for the first time since I bought the boat and after letting it run for 15 minutes with no water coming out I figured the impeller must be shot. (JUST KIDDING!!! I only ran it for about two minutes total before shutting it down.) Anyway, I'm pretty sure the correct part number is # 46-43024A7. This contains the housing and everything. Should I spend the extra bucks for the whole kit or should I just get the impeller kit? ( BTW, what's the correct part number for the impeller kit for a 1995 Merc 115 hp 4cyl. outboard?) My Clymer manual says you need to press in a new seal into the housing and put Loctite on the outside of certain seals and it seems MUCH more complicated than doing the same job on my 1988 Force 50 hp outboard. I'm pretty confident I can do it, but I don't want to change stuff that is still good. If I buy the whole kit, is the seal already pressed in? I don't have access to a press at home.

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Changing the waterpump in a 1995 Merc 115 outboard=a difficult job??

It's a good idea to replace the whole works

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a good idea to replace the whole works

I'm sure it's the best idea, but I'd like to avoid spending the extra $50 -$70 bucks if I don't need to.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I'm sure it's the best idea, but I'd like to avoid spending the extra $50 -$70 bucks if I don't need to.
You'll either find out you didn't need to or that you did need to. How lucky are you? Replace it all the first time then just impellers and gaskets for several years to follow.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You'll either find out you didn't need to or that you did need to. How lucky are you? Replace it all the first time then just impellers and gaskets for several years to follow.

I'm usually NOT that lucky! Do I have the right part number for the entire kit?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I'm usually NOT that lucky! Do I have the right part number for the entire kit?

That's the same part number that I order for the 91 - 2000 V-6 lower/units. I believe the 115 uses the same pump even thought it has a smaller diameter bullet on the L/U.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I picked a inline 4 cylinder and came up with the same number as you. I'd need the serial number on the engine or swivel bracket id plate to be sure.

They made inline 6 115's and even a 2.5L V-6 115.

The number is 0G144441. Thanks.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, parts should be here Monday. Is there anything special I should know about doing the job, or should I just follow the manual?