New project - need advice .... please!

Edalbesor

Recruit
I have taken on a restoration project. It's a little GRP fishing boat with a day berth and she needs work. I don't know if it's worth it but it looks like a fun project! I don't know what sort of boat it is, a friend said it's a Pilot but Google gave me nothing. Can anyone help identify it and, perhaps, point me at someone who can answer questions as they arise?

Attachments

• 08 13 #1sml.jpg
    08 13 #1sml.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New project - need advice .... please!

Well, as far as what brand of boat it is I have no earthly clue. Needing questions answered - this place is chock full of folks who know their stuff. So just fire away with the questions and they will get answered. So, what's your first step gonna' be? :confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's an old, neglected boat on a trailer that is too short unless the bunks can be lengthened. looks like blunt barge like bow.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You might consider preasure washing it to see what shape its realy in. Is it fiberglass or wood? more pictures would help.

Edalbesor

Recruit

The photo is an old one to be honest. I have stripped it down to the hull and given it a scrubbing it will never forget. The hull is GRP and in pretty good shape allround.
My first job is to paint it. I live in Southern France and had hoped to do this before it got too hot here but now that we are moving into July I think I have missed that window of opportunity. Maybe if I paint it early in the morning? Before the sun does it's stuff and dries the paint on the brush!
The transom is rotten but it's internal and a hell of a place to get to. I am a woodworker and have the nous to do it but I think it might have been put in place before the lower and upper hulls were joined. can I put one on the outside instead?

Attachments

• 03 09 06 #21sml.jpg
    03 09 06 #21sml.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 06 09 24 (2)sml.jpg
    06 09 24 (2)sml.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 070530sml.jpg
    070530sml.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 0

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It would be better to separate the tob and bottom. Remove the cap and rplace the transom and any floor that needs replacing. With the cap removed it will be easy to get the transom done and any stringer and floor work.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

or rather than removing the whole cap, cut the cap on each side about 1 foot from the corner, this will give you room to glass it back together. and just remove the back portion on the cap. cut the cap in the area of the red line.

Attachments

• french old boat.jpg
    french old boat.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont know...I'm thinking this belongs in a different forum. I think it should be in the Ugliest Boat contest forum!

Edalbesor

Recruit

I dont know...I'm thinking this belongs in a different forum. I think it should be in the Ugliest Boat contest forum!
Well, it's in the eye of the beholder after all. I think she's a beaut but then Bill Clinton thought Hilary was something!
Tashasdaddy: Do I really need to remove so much of the cap? Is it not possible I could cut the arse end away above the transom say, 200mm each side? Also, can I not replace it with an exterior one? As I said before I am a woodworker and this GRP stuff is new territory to me.
The "decking" was ply wood so I have replaced it with Marine Ply and given it 5 coats of Yacht Varnish. The substructure below is in good order.

Attachments

• 03 08 30 #9sml.jpg
    03 08 30 #9sml.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0