Anyone ever check the alignment on their trailer axle(s)?

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After reading horror stories about tires blowing on trailers, I was wondering how many people have actually gone and had their trailers checked for alignment?

I purchased my 89 Capri this past spring. The tires had some ribbing, but nothing to really worry about during a 4 mile haul to the ramp. But I had to drag it over 200 miles a few weeks ago. One time had scalloping, the other feathering. The dealer I was at suggested I take it to the truck dealer across the road who had a tech who knew how to align the axle.

The result of the alignment? Camber was over 8 degree (corrected), the axle was offset to one side by almost 4 inches (recentered) (I always thought I was having problems getting the boat centered when putting it on the trailer), and the axle was almost 3 inches forward of where it was supposed to sit (corrected). Mileage when I drove out 13.2, on the return trip 15.9. New tires show none of the wear.

And as a bonus, I can now move the trailer with one hand on a flat surface.

Before you ask, the tech said the axle hadn't been bent, the mounting hardware was tight and that most trailers are screwed up when they are sold. He told me of his Airstream coming from the factory with alignment almost as far off as mine.

Cost was about $100 and I would highly recommend taking any trailer showing out of the ordinary wear to a technican that can do the job and do it right. My tech was at a commerical (semi) truck dealership and they deal with solid axles all the time. It's worth it for safety and the savings in tires.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anyone ever check the alignment on their trailer axle(s)?

How did he align a straight axle...bend it?

Also curious why the axle had anything to do with you centering the boat on the trailer.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How did he align a straight axle...bend it?

Also curious why the axle had anything to do with you centering the boat on the trailer.

First, I believe he bent the axle. When Ford had a solid front axle, that's how they did it. It's also how they align those big rigs with solid axles you see on the road.

That's why I took it to a big rig shop, they had the knowledge and equipment to do the job. The tech who worked on the trailer does a lot of trailers (boat, camper, etc).

As for the centering, the boat actually was centered on the trailer. But since the axle was offset to the driver's side, it never appeared to be centered. If you stood in front of the truck, or looked in the mirrors, it always seemed to be offset by a few inches to the driver's side. When the axle was moved and centered correctly, the whole trailer/boat now sits centered behind the truck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That makes sense.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm glad you got it figured out and very good suggestion to all. I bet that tows nicely now!

In regards to the title, ": Anyone ever check the alignment on their trailer axle(s)?" , I doubt I would have ever thought to until this was noticed:

My then new to me '83 ez -load single axle trailer seemed a bit wonky one trip ( it was moving about side to side more than usual ) so I gave it a once over. The axle was right on as far as distance to the back crossmember, but the frame was a bit out of square. Upon closer inspection, the bolts holding the crossmembers/hangers together were tight but the hangers themselves were not making full contact to the side boom, resulting in the assembly "flexing " from side to side. <<<My EZ load had just 1 bolt holding the hanger to the side boom>>>>

They were slightly bent as well, probably from all the flexing, and could not be tightened enough with the bolts. So after pulling the trailer back into square with come-alongs, I welded them tight and never have to worry about those bolts coming loose. It tows great as a result and sits nice and quiet.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

and the axle was almost 3 inches forward of where it was supposed to sit (corrected).

i'm assuming you checked tongue weight before and after, even informally? Moving an axle 3 inches will have a fairly large impact on the tongue weight, and I'm guessing it was much too light before, possibly dangerously light.

Bifflefan

Commander

The result of the alignment? Camber was over 8 degree (corrected), the axle was offset to one side by almost 4 inches (recentered) (I always thought I was having problems getting the boat centered when putting it on the trailer), and the axle was almost 3 inches forward of where it was supposed to sit (corrected). Mileage when I drove out 13.2, on the return trip 15.9. New tires show none of the wear.

This sounds like a fairy tail, or the guy took your 100 and laughed.

First, with 8 degs of camber, The top of the offending tire/wheel would be tipped in or out about 3 inches from vertical. This will only affect the tire wear and not the handling when towing. You should be able to see this just by looking at it. That is a major, major amount of camber.

Second, 4 inches off center, As long as it is still perpendicular to the center line of the trailer this will only cause a little extra load on the closer wheel/tire combination, very minimal.

Third, Moving the axle back 3 inches may make it tow better but unless you have a before and after tounge weight this is a moot point.

Forth, As to the mileage gain, i dont know what made it better. But i do know the things that were addressed in this post did not do it.

I only offer this for your benefit for future repairs. Try never to get things done at a shop that you are not familiar with.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just changed my axle and asked which way forward? I was told just to put the camber on top. I would have thought that the axle would have a "toe-in" which would face forward :confused:

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

I just changed my axle and asked which way forward? I was told just to put the camber on top. I would have thought that the axle would have a "toe-in" which would face forward :confused:

To my knowledge toe in only applies to steering axles. If you ever driven a rig w/ 0 toe in or worse yet, toe out, It's easy to see why it's needed.
Mike

Knightgang

Lieutenant

First, with 8 degs of camber, The top of the offending tire/wheel would be tipped in or out about 3 inches from vertical. This will only affect the tire wear and not the handling when towing. You should be able to see this just by looking at it. That is a major, major amount of camber.

Second, 4 inches off center, As long as it is still perpendicular to the center line of the trailer this will only cause a little extra load on the closer wheel/tire combination, very minimal.

Third, Moving the axle back 3 inches may make it tow better but unless you have a before and after tounge weight this is a moot point.

Forth, As to the mileage gain, i dont know what made it better. But i do know the things that were addressed in this post did not do it.

I only offer this for your benefit for future repairs. Try never to get things done at a shop that you are not familiar with.

I had these same thoughts when I first read this thread... Ecspecially about fixing the issue by Bending the Axle. "That is how Ford did it on Fixed axles" as it was posted... I don't think so...

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to drive long haul big trucks. I'm very aware of and familiar with alignment issues with trailers. When a trailer isn't pulling straight, you loose fuel mileage, have tire wear and a MAJOR safety issue. DIYers may be able to get things within the parking lot of the ball park, but most don't have the ability to really get it right.

I used to own a straight axle Ford F100 and bending was used for alignments.

You may think it was a waste of money, but I know for a fact the trailer is pulling exactly the way it should. Tires will last longer and the safety of those traveling with and around me is much higher than it was.

Tongue weight went from approx 140lb before to 195lb after the axle was moved. That would help handling.

As for the camber, you are right, it affects tire wear. But with tires running $100 each for Goodyears, it doesn't take a member of the president's cabinet to see getting a proper alignment pays for itself just in tire life.

And here is some additional information on caster from some people who should know, Streetrodderweb.com:

One of the most common mistakes when setting caster is making the adjustment while the chassis is not at ride height front and rear. Caster is the relationship of the axle to the ground, not the chassis. That means if it's set at 5 degrees positive with the frame sitting level on a jig, then the car is put on the ground with a 3 degree nose-down rake, the caster will be 2 degrees positive-and you'll be wondering why the car wanders all over the road.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... That's the Fairy Tale in this thread,...

8? over the height of the tire is a mere fraction of an inch...
No Way it could be 3",... Not unless the tire is Several Feet Tall...

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

After reading horror stories about tires blowing on trailers, I was wondering how many people have actually gone and had their trailers checked for alignment?

I'd hazard a guess, based on what I've seen and read, that 49 out of 50 trailer tire blowouts are due to either an overloaded or underinflated tire.

-E

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I haven't had any problems with tire wear on my trailer but it sure made me wonder... If it is SO important for a proper alignment on a car then why not on a trailer. Guess it just makes sense to me. Just my $0.2...Have a great one.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That's what Bifflefan said...not the OP.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Agreed Bruce,.. I edited my previous post to reflect your comment...;)
Thanks for making Me make it clear what I actually meant....
With the single digit typing I sometimes omit what Shouldn't be omitted....:rolleyes: :D

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

actually 8* off plumb over 24" of height is 3 1/2 inches

i used 24" as that what my framing square is. most tires are taller.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

actually 8* off plumb over 24" of height is 3 1/2 inches

i used 24' as that what my framing square is. most tires are taller.

The tires may be taller, but the angle of measure needs to be taken from the axle, or middle of the wheel. In most cases will only be between 12-15 inches at most... However, that is still about 1 3/4 inches to about 2 1/4 inches off plumb. Still a great difference...

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

i dont have a dog in this fight but 8* is the same if you take the measurement from the ground, the center of the axle, or the top of the tire.
camber is the amount of lean in or out of the tire.
if you stand a flat straight edge against the tire at equidistant point on the top side wall and the bottom side wall of the tire and the ground is flat under it, that's the camber measurement. unless its affected by load, changes, or road conditions it dosnt change thru the plane of tire-wheel rotation.
what you are saying is you dont count the total from ground to top of tire. if stated this way you would have 4* positive on one side of axle and 4* negative on the other side. the tire will still be 8* if you check it in respect to the horizon
if you check an axle with a 8* angle in respect to the horizon at 12", you still as you say come pretty close to 1 3/4", but the tire dosnt rotate in half its plane. so if doubled it still come to 3"+

Bifflefan

Commander

Well I hate to disagree with you Bond-o as 99.9% of the time you are dead on, but on this you are not.
1 degree Camber is = to .375 or 3/8 of an inch at the center of the upper ball joint on a 27 to 28 inch tall tire.
That is 3 inches exactly off vertical.
This is something i know well as in our race cars we only run 5 to 6 degrees of camber in the RF and we only turn left.
I have studied suspension geometery for as many years as you have been boating (well close anyway).

I really do respect your opinion on all things boating but trust me on this one.