Anyone ever check the alignment on their trailer axle(s)?

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anyone ever check the alignment on their trailer axle(s)?

I adjusted the alignment of my axle with a tape measure, I measured from the hitch ball bolt to the center of each spring perch. I loosened the spring mounting bolts and using a deadblow hammer and some weight taken off with a jack moved the axle forward and back to get it right. Took me about an hour to get her straight, another hour to get the tongue weight right with a bathroom scale.

Anyone can do this themselves at home, mind you my axle was not bent but I did check it with a level for straightness at the hub and along the crossbeam. You don't need fancy tools to do this kind of thing at home.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I missed that too the first time around. 8 degrees is 3" or so. That is a major bend in the axle. Not sure I would want to bend an axle back to straight if that's how far it was out.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Everyone, I didn't post this to start a fight. Only to suggest that you might want to check the alignment of your trailer.

Just to make it clear, the tech said the axle hadn't been bent by hitting anything. It was really screwed up at install. It does lead me to question if it might have been installed upside down, if that is possible. As for his bending it to correct it-it was bent. From what I've seen of this being done on big rigs, you can fix a fair amount of camber without damaging the axle.

I did call the shop and ask how much correction they would do. The tech said if the axle had been physically damaged (hit rock, stump, etc) he would not have bent anything this far out but would have recommended replacement. I got the feeling this one was getting near his comfort level for straightening out.

What this comes down to is this-if you want to check and/or get your trailer alignment fixed, it is up to you. My experience is the cost of using a reliable shop if you cannot or don't want to do it is still worth it, both is the savings on tires and safety in towing.

I hope everyone is in agreement there.

puddle jumper

Captain

ifallsguy this is not an argument but a good discussion.

Just to add a wrench in to it was the camber set with the trailer loaded or empty. Most trailers have the axle with a dip(arc) built into it which will flex as the trailer has weight put on it. His trailer axle could have been out 8degs at the tires if the axle was under loaded/over loaded. So bending it (re arcing the axle) so the tire would sit at about 0degs camber with the boat weight on the trailer would be correct.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to add a wrench in to it was the camber set with the trailer loaded or empty.

The alignment was done with the boat on the trailer. That includes about 3/4 tank of fuel and two batteries.

I've already put 200 miles on the trailer this year and see no wear. Before the alignment, I felt feathering on the tires on the third trip out. Now I find none of that and do see an increase in fuel mileage, though I'm still watching that. Right now it comes out to somewhere between 4 and 6%, but I want to see if that hold true over the summer.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

He is correct on the Ford comment- I bent many an axle on F150's and E150's with the venerable "Twin I-Beam" suspension. That was the only way to correct a camber issue. I still have the porta-power unit and brackets that Ford supplied in their factory kits for this. It was an art to "overbend" the axle to get the camber right because of the springback factor in the axles. It took a bit of reckoning to decide how far was far enough. I.E. "I reckon that's about right". LOL

UFM82

whitjohn

Cadet

Well guys I won't disagree about any of these posts but here's my experience. Bought a 2005 Bennington 2275LX w 90 Yamaha 4 Stroke. I was a bit concerned because the trailer looked ok but the axle looked way too small. The tires did lean in somewhat and I could see a noticeable sway in the beam plus the entire assembly was held on by 4 u-bolts...WTF?

On our second trip to the lake, and on the narrow road I live on, I moved over to pass an oncoming car and the right wheel dropped into a hidden hole beside the road. All hell broke loose! The axle pulled loose, went backward and sh!twrecked the whole right side. Rear of the pontoon went into barb wire fence.(not too serious). Anyway I had to pull that side off and bring it back to my shop to repair as much as possible just to get the boat back home.

When I pulled the whole thing off...I checked the bearings for size.....dam 1" spindle! Chucked the whole mess in the scrap pile.....ordered a kit with 2 3500# axles, ulta-lube hubs, lug nuts, springs, hangers, equalizers, u-bolts and all for $390.00 delivered.

Lined it up WELDED all the hangers on......assembled it all and put 4 brand new wheels and tires on it. The difference is day and night!

Point is, I think the trailer mfgs (some of them anyway) put as small an axle as they can get by with just to cheap out......thereby causing so many trailer issues. That original axle MIGHT have been 2000# at most. I'm sure my rig would be 3000# or more fully loaded. It's now capable of 7000#....overkill?.....probably.....would I tow it anywhere now with confidence.......absolutely! BTW it is a Haul-Rite brand.