Outboard motors kicking to the left when idling ?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Most OB's that are tiller controlled end up slowly pivoting left when idling thus turning the boat to the right. This can get anoying when trolling having to let the tiller handle free to take care of the fishing rod. By curiosity I would like to know why this happens. Would it have something to do with motor crankshaft rotation ? or perhaps oil in gas ?
I know there is a thightening screw ...but it ends up loosening or become inoperative after a while.

Any ideas ? Tx

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Outboard motors kicking to the left when idling ?

Its caused by the torque of the prop.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Even at idle the motor spinning will cause movement. Tightening up the adjustment screw on should solve most of the issues. Does yours have a spring under the screw to keep it tight? Are you turning the motor back and forth as you tighten it? I have never had mine work loose (maybe after several years). What type of motor is this?

whirlypig

Cadet

Torque is the reason, Newton's law, to every action there is a reaction. Airplane pilots call it P-factor. Engine spinning, producing power. Shaft drives flywheel, flywheel tries to stay where it is but can't, producing torque as it spins, because of the resistance. engine (flywheel attached) spins right, torque reaction produces left movement. follow the chain of events to the water and the prop. Water is still, prop pushes against water as it spins, Water doesn't want to move, resists spin.(another source of Torque). Excessive torque is what shears shear pins, breaks u-joints, twists axles, etc.

If you want to really see this in action, watch some ski boat races or boat drags. But don't watch the races, watch the boats in the water as they crank up, or rev their engines. Boats jump sideways. Watch a dragster when it revs it's engine, or even your own truck. Same thing!!

Hope this helps, stay afloat, have fun!! Whirlypig

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was under the impression it was due to misfiring of pistons due to oil mix with gas. Nervetheless I am stuned with the fact and cannot find the explanation that this kicking of the OB to one side stops imediatly when I switch from the original 50:1 mix to a leaner gas/oil mix ... (80:1) using appropriated lean mix oil, and the motor idles straight even went the tiller handle is set free. So there has to be a direct link with the gas/oil mix ... but what ???

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

The reason is torque BUT, a poor running motor will pronounce what you are experiencing. I would stick with 50:1 and try to lean it out with the air/fuel mix. What motor is it?

You can also look at it this way. Between spark ignitions your motor actually dies (however miniscule the period is). If you are running rich you are creating a slow burn scenario where you have widened the time period between ignitions (and possibly not getting a full burn). The longer that time period gets the more you are going to get what feels like a cam shaft lope. This is creating an unbalanced running situation which will translate to more motor movement. (Think of how a car engine shakes when it runs out of fuel)

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

mine goes right?

You might own an Autralian OB ... LOL I meant the motor slowly kicks itself counterclockwise (looking from top)

Nice boat you have.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The reason is torque BUT, a poor running motor will pronounce what you are experiencing. I would stick with 50:1 and try to lean it out with the air/fuel mix. What motor is it?

You can also look at it this way. Between spark ignitions your motor actually dies (however miniscule the period is). If you are running rich you are creating a slow burn scenario where you have widened the time period between ignitions (and possibly not getting a full burn). The longer that time period gets the more you are going to get what feels like a cam shaft lope. This is creating an unbalanced running situation which will translate to more motor movement. (Think of how a car engine shakes when it runs out of fuel)

thank you for your feedback. Sounds right, but I still make a link with the gas/oil ratio since this problem goes away when using a leaner mix.

Mind you I still dont know why. Yes I do question how things work ... always have ... LOL LOL

Nice boat project.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I'm sure there is a link. At 50:1 you are running rich for some reason. Being rich is runs poorer and results in more motor "shake".

coolguy147

Commander

nope all american outboard evinrude well it goes to the right when i leave it alone

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm sure there is a link. At 50:1 you are running rich for some reason. Being rich is runs poorer and results in more motor "shake".

Then I would presume I need to adjust idling adjustement screw to run richer (counterclockwise) to get the motor to run steadier ?

coolguy147

Commander

lol dont think any of these will help its gonna do what it wants to do.

just tighten your friction screw

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol dont think any of these will help its gonna do what it wants to do.

just tighten your friction screw

The friction screw no longer thightens the motor on the shaft. Now would you know why the kicking to one side does not happen when using a leaner mix (80:1) using appropriate 100:1 designed oil ?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Still don't know what motor your working on but if it is a 50:1 mix and You have to raise it to 80:1 then it is running to rich at 50:1 and the low speed adjustment needs turned in to lean out.

I have never used a 100:1 specific oil. Don't even know how they differ from regular oil. It may make it run richer at 50:1 and that may be your problem. If it were me I'd go back to regular TWC3 oil and mix at 50:1 and see where your at. Start with the low speed screw 1.5 turns out. turn in a 1/4 at a time until it start to wheeze or stutter, then back off a 1/4 turn. If the friction screw is wore out then it will still want to move around but may not be as bad if it's running properly.

Question for you as I really don't know: why use a 100:1 oil then mix at 50:1. From what I have read 100:1 oils are designed to allow a 50:1 motor run at 100:1 with no damage. Don't quote me on this as I really don't know. But if this is true and it is a 100:1 oil the why not run at 100:1 if your comfortable with it. If your not comfortable runnning at a 100:1 then I would go back to regular oil and mix properly.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

. Watch a dragster when it revs it's engine, or even your own truck. Same thing!!
So that explains why my whole car moves when i rev it:p

NFB steering will solve that kicking problem ;)

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So that explains why my whole car moves when i rev it:p

NFB steering will solve that kicking problem ;)

It's a 15 hp Force tiller controled. If there was a steering I probably would not have noticed. Tx

coolguy147

Commander

i would keep it at 50:1 tcw-3 mix

are you in gear when this happens?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i would keep it at 50:1 tcw-3 mix

are you in gear when this happens?

Yes in gear. Bottom line is I am trying to figure out why the kicking on one side like misfiring with a normal 50:1 mix and tiller handle keeping straight when using lean mix oil ... no matter how I mix it (80:1 current mix)

I understand the concept of gas getting weaker when oil is mixed to it .. then should'nt it get evenly weaker no matter what type oil I use ?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

OK now I'm confused:

At 50:1 you used regular TCW3 oil is this correct? (.7 oz per liter)

At 80:1 your using a "100:1 specific oil?" (.42 oz per liter)

ANyhow you are obviously running rich at 50:1 if it runs smoother at 80:1.

Mix a tank of 50:1 using TCW3 oil and adjust the air/fuel mix properly. If it wont adjust properly some carb work must be needed.

The motor is kicking to the side at 50:1 because it is not running properly (In addition to the friction bushing being worn out), It is to rich and you have to figure out why.

I don't know about evenly weaker with any type of oil. The motor was designed to use TCW3 oil mixed at 50:1. Unless the oil your using is rated as such it may burn different.