Outboard motors kicking to the left when idling ?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Outboard motors kicking to the left when idling ?

Not being an expert, I can only guess that it's tuned to run the 80:1, and not tuned to the 50:1, as already mentioned. Did you adjust the mixture for the 80:1, as well as adjust it likewise for the 50:1? Also, I'd think you might run cooler plugs with the 80:1 than for the 50:1? Maybe the plugs is the difference. I can't stand it...............Why are you choosing to run it leaner on oil? :redface:
Just curious,
JBJ

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not being an expert, I can only guess that it's tuned to run the 80:1, and not tuned to the 50:1, as already mentioned. Did you adjust the mixture for the 80:1, as well as adjust it likewise for the 50:1? Also, I'd think you might run cooler plugs with the 80:1 than for the 50:1? Maybe the plugs is the difference. I can't stand it...............Why are you choosing to run it leaner on oil? :redface:
Just curious,
JBJ
My mind is not set yet. Running leaner (80:1) using an oil designed for 100:1 mix in order to get smoother idling since I favor trolling (idling) as fishing technique. But I find it runs smoother at WOT using a 50:1 mix type oil. Looking for a way to get it to run as smooth idling with the 50:1 type oil mixture.

jbjennings

Captain

I reckon I see your logic, now. I don't troll much, myself so it's never a problem. Wish I knew the answer.
Later,
JBJ​

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Looking for a way to get it to run as smooth idling with the 50:1 type oil mixture.

Low speed mixture is set at idle, if that is adjusted properly, and all other parts (plugs wires ect) are good it will run smooth at idle. Alot of motors only have that adjustment.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Low speed mixture is set at idle, if that is adjusted properly, and all other parts (plugs wires ect) are good it will run smooth at idle. Alot of motors only have that adjustment.

Actualy I own 2 OB's My johnson 9.9 idles as smooth as a 4 strokes with the normal 50:1 mix. The other a 15 hp Force and a much newer model is another beast when it comes to idling ...LOL